Spin-off: Does Long Hair…

Does your hair length influence how powerful you feel?

• Yes, longer hair makes me feel more powerful

Votes: 120 53.3%
  • No, I feel powerful regardless of my hair length

Votes: 75 33.3%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 30 13.3%

• Total voters

KiniKakes

CantBeCopied said:
I agree with this. Women should understand that FEMININITY IS POWER. MEN can be won, manipulated, encouraged, and inspired through the power of a woman's FEMININITY. Femininity has started wars, got folk killed, conquered entire kingdoms, etc. Look at Helen of Troy. That chick caused a HUGE RUCKUS! And, all she did was fall in love. But, her POWER was immense. She had influence as all women do. FEMININITY is a TOOL. And, with that, the longer the hair, the more FEMININE the woman appears. I have heard men mention this often that the thing they found most beautiful about a woman was how FEMININE she is/was. And, so, with that, then you have men, our SO's who would absolutely DIE if we cut our hair...lol...if you let THEM decide, they'd prefer it long....though, of course, it's not their decision, but, there's a reason for that. So, yes, Hair does contribute to a woman's power. That doesn't mean if it's shorter she has no other attributes to fall back on for power but it CONTRIBUTES to a woman's power rather than make no difference or take away from.

This is a GREAT post, girl!!! ITA!

KiniKakes

Denim And Leather said:
I don't think long hair on women (in general) neccessarily makes them more powerful, but definitely more feminine.

In the black community, it is different: long hair on black women= more power as well as being more feminine, because as someone here pointed out, they have achieved "the impossible."

It's ironic, because, in the business world (from what I have observed and read over the years) is that a woman with long hair is not taken serious, she is seen as more girlish, which is why you tend to see women in high powered positions with short, or above the shoulder hair (at least from what I've seen). Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I agree. Perhaps this is because many woman who are in a male-dominated corporate America setting dont necessarily want to exude an image of soft, pretty, femininity. They dont believe this will garner respect and equality from their male counterparts in the boardroom, and they are probably correct. So they opt for a style that appears more conservative/serious/business-like, and long, flowing hair just won't do it. For those women in corporate America who do have long hair, it will probably be worn in a conservative bun/chignon or other updo. *shrug* This is just my opinion.

leleepop

I didnt read though the whole thread but I feel powerful regardless, but my long hair gives me an extra powerful feeling or edge.lol.....but I guess it all comes down to if I'm having a good or bad hair day regardless of length.:p

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I voted no.

I've never really had long hair, but I've always had confidence and presence which has taken me more places than my hair has.

MzOptimistic

I voted yes because having longer hair makes me feel something. I wouldn't say powerful because I always feel powerful and confident. Having longer hair enhance my confidence and add a lil spice to my life. Cuz you can create so many hairstyles and I LOVE how my hair blow in my face and bounce up and down side to side when I'm walking.:p

Creatividual

KiniKakes said:
Hmmmmm..... this is an interesting question..... and I have to admit I voted "yes."

Im not sure why, and I had never thought about it prior til now..... but after consideration, I guess I would have to say that, on some level, it does make me feel more powerful. But I think its the "confidence factor" that comes with it.

I could also see me getting a really nice SHORT cut, or deciding to go natural, and feeling equally powerful. I think the power/confidence comes with the idea of setting a goal for yourself (that once felt "impossible"), and achieving that goal. It just does something for one's sense of self, you know? So whether its growing out my hair to mid-back length..... doing the "big chop" and going natural...... getting dreadlocks...... All of those things make me feel like Im in complete control of myself and my destiny, and it feels powerful and GREAT.

I voted no. But I completely agree with kinikakes. I feel long hair can give you more confidence if you want it but not more power in my opinion.

whitneysimone

Im not sure why, and I had never thought about it prior til now..... but after consideration, I guess I would have to say that, on some level, it does make me feel more powerful. But I think its the "confidence factor" that comes with it.

i agree with this....for me the feeling of power stems from the confidence that my hair (when lookin right) gives me.

its the same when you've been workin out for months and you wear the cute little short shorts you been dying to wear and you know your legs look great and your confident.....and you feel a sense of power. same with my hair. i feel as though I have put so much work into it, and longer hair truely does frame my face well, and I have proven the myth that black woman cannot have long hair wrong. I find power in that.

tsturnbu

Well, I dont know about more powerful, but I definitely feel sexier with long hair. WHen I had really short hair (shaved in the back pixie cut) I felt most pwerful. I felt liberated.

caribeandiva said:
i voted yes. it think it'll make me more confident cause it's one more "problem" i conquered. since confidence=power, then i'll feel more powerful.

This is exactly how I feel. I couldn't figure out why I didn't have long hair regardless of the texture. Now I realized my hair was perishing because of my lack of knowledge. I already felt powerful or I wouldn't have searched until I found an answer to growing my hair i.e. this website.

SleekandBouncy

I think it can make you *feel* more powerful if long hair is what you prefer on yourself, but it also depends on your hair goals. For someone that loves short funky styles finally getting their hair cut in a edgy short cut might have the same affect on their confidence.
As for others, I think it can be, but not necessarily. Lots of people blk and white aren't impressed by long hair. However there are certain concepts that are usually attributed to long hair that I guess could intimidate others; which include beauty, femininity, youth, exoticism, etc.
Now that I have long hair, I don't feel more powerful but sometimes I do see it's affect. Fresh from the salon with bouncy swingin' hair does turn men's heads, because of the "idea" behind long hair, HOWEVER I noticed the same thing when I had my hair natural in jaw length in twists. Twists were my thing!

Bottom line, no I don't think long hair alone makes you more powerful. I think it's the affect it has on your confidence (if any) that creates the feeling of power and that can be achieved by reaching whatever your hair goal is. Also, the femininity that is perceived from long hair can be achieved by ones manner, how you dress, wear your makeup, etc. I'm already very feminine so the hair didn't change much, but I do think the perceived "femininity" of long hair has an affect on the perceived feeling of power.

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I guess it's up to the individual because I know of many females who have long hair that don't feel confident or "powerful" at all!! I voted no because I feel powerful because of my accomplishments, not because of the length of my hair.

Maybe it's the femenist in me, but I would feel less powerful if I needed to use my femeninity to achieve a goal (job, SO, etc.) Just MHO.

Ayeshia

IMO when I think of power I think of women with shorter hair...but thats just me. not to say a woman who has longer hair is weak, but thats the picture that pops up in my head :lol:

SleekandBouncy

Ayeshia said:
IMO when I think of power I think of women with shorter hair...but thats just me. not to say a woman who has longer hair is weak, but thats the picture that pops up in my head :lol:

:lol: I didn't think of that, but you have a good point. *Ponders Oprah, Condalezza and my ex boss*
Oddly, for all the things that long hair/beauty/femininity/etc. are said to give a lot of the women I've seen in power or with DHs with power are either a balance or they are real ballbusters.

Soliel185

With long hair I was "hot". I was checked out more by men regardless of race. With my new haircut - I'm the same person, but I look younger and I think the shorter hair translates to "cute". Men like both, but one is decidedly more glamourous than the other. I think the exception is a really sharp, angled, or purposeful short cut like Halle's old one, or RiHanna.

Soliel185

Denim And Leather said:
I don't think long hair on women (in general) neccessarily makes them more powerful, but definitely more feminine.

In the black community, it is different: long hair on black women= more power as well as being more feminine, because as someone here pointed out, they have achieved "the impossible."

It's ironic, because, in the business world (from what I have observed and read over the years) is that a woman with long hair is not taken serious, she is seen as more girlish, which is why you tend to see women in high powered positions with short, or above the shoulder hair (at least from what I've seen). Has anyone else noticed this?
I think it's because women come into the corporate world w/ a disadvantage. If you're a pretty women - especially if you're young, being seen that way can subconciously categorize you in the eyes of your higher ups. I think short hair or hair that is always worn up is a woman's way of de-feminizing herself. "Don't see me as a woman - see me as a co-worker, and a person first" Also, if I woman is promoted or makes it to the top and she's feminine and attractive there's bound to be the rumors that her looks had something to do with it or she gave someone a special favor. It's along the same lines of why most people wouldn't dare wear a giant fro to the office - then people see you as your hair, not as a valuable employee based on your merits.

sonce

I've had hair less than 1/2" long and I currently have almost 20" of hair--so I have been on both ends of the spectrum.

Whether or not I perceive myself as having more or less power now that my hair is long depends on what kind of power is referred to.

Power over men? When I wear my hair out, I definitely feel that I have more power over men because they stare and they want to play in my hair, and I've had many men tell me how sexy they find long, voluminous hair.

Power in the workplace? Nope. In fact, I keep my hair pinned up when I wear it out (meaning not twisted or braided) at work. The masculine look is definitely "in" among women who have power and it's pretty weird to me. Being seen as sexy and feminine seems to be a liability if one is trying to get to a position of real power in a corporate workplace.

Power over other black women? I do feel a certain power over other women and it is weird. I've found that black women often do not have neutral reactions to my hair when it is down. They fawn over it, want to touch it, resent me for it, require an explanation (the most popular question is "are you mixed?" never mind that I'm pure African and do not look at all like anything else) etc. Rarely a neutral reaction. I stepped in a salon a few months ago and was surrounded by black women like I was some sort of celebrity. It is interesting but sad to me because the reactions of black women to my hair seem motivated by a sense that I have done the impossible. The fact that many of us are convinced that our hair is handicapped in all sorts of ways is unfortunate to me.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I voted "yes" because I do feel powerful sensually and sexually. I wear my hair down I'm going out with my boyfriend or when I'm in a flirtatious mood. I feel sexy and sensual when I am wearing my hair out or down. My sexual/sensual power shines through. I wear my hair up in a bun when conducting business most of the time. But I feel another type of power with my hair in a bun when in business mode. Maybe it's just the fact that I have the ability to wear my hair how I want because of its length, it's versatile and I can change my look when I want and get the desired results. That was a good question...made me think...

meaganita

I would agree that it long hair does make a woman feel more powerful. For me, growing long hair makes me feel more feminine and gives me an extra edge - especially as a black woman. Just knowing that other women are buying hair and I'm growing mine...I don't know. There's just a certain swagger that a woman with long hair has. It's confidence....and I think with confidence definitely comes power.;)

ShiShiPooPoo

All I know is that I saw a woman at the BSS who's hair was faded out bald, skin chocolate and flawless with big doe eyes and a smile many women would kill for. Did I mention she was about 5'10"? She was looking/talking to my daughter and I was mesmerized and completely intimidated by her looks. Every woman that walked in there couldn't take their eyes off her. She was so exotic and gorgeous!

I also work with a woman with beautiful hair but many of my co-workers make statements like, "If she ever cut her hair she'd be an ugly little thing." They say that you can tell a woman's true physical beauty if you can imagine her bald and she's still pretty cute.

I guess what is powerful to me is the entire package on point...hair, skin, smile, fashion, back straight, smart, friendly, spiritual, etc. But just first impressions? I say a pretty face is the most powerful physical weapon a woman has, far beyond her hair.

NuMe2004

That's a good question. I would have to say "Yes" because of the way society, esp. black folk, look at hair. Hair has always been a symbol of power and beauty, not just in this culture, but even in biblical times. I think if you did a poll, most people would associate long hair with sexy moreso than short hair. The focus society places on aesthetics would naturally cause someone to feel powerful if they possess the traits that many deem beautiful.

The funny thing is, I feel the same way about weight. I definitely feel more beautiful, sexy, and thus powerful, when I'm at my smallest and or ideal weight.

Christa438

Im already confident and when I do grow my hair long--I know I'll be even more confident because of what I achieved and I'll feel proud. If powerful means to control others and think Im better than them--then no I will not feel powerful. But if it means to accomplish whatever I set my mind to, then yeah I may feel more powerful just because I know I can reach goals that I set for myself even when others doubt me.

Afrolinda

caribeandiva said:
i voted yes. it think it'll make me more confident cause it's one more "problem" i conquered. since confidence=power, then i'll feel more powerful.

ITA. I voted yes.

cabellera

Perhaps a sense of Power coming from defying yet another stereo-type about Black Women....that our hair can't grow long. Other than that, I'm just as powerful with short to medium tresses.

caribeandiva

Human being
cabellera said:
Perhaps a sense of Power coming from defying yet another stereo-type about Black Women....that our hair can't grow long. Other than that, I'm just as powerful with short to medium tresses.

I agree with that too!

SmileyNY

Well... According to the book "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office"... Short hair is a sign of power. Women with short hair are generally taken more seriously & most women in powerful positions have short hair.

I guess I'll just wear my hair up in the workplace or something *shrugs*

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

diadall

Well... According to the book "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office"... Short hair is a sign of power. Women with short hair are generally taken more seriously & most women in powerful positions have short hair.

I guess I'll just wear my hair up in the workplace or something *shrugs*

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

I read that book as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
From personal experience of having both short and long hair and being both fat and skinny, I'd say yes, beauty is like currency, it's power. It's amazing the treatment I get from all races now that I'm "ideal" (small, fit, & long hair). I was overlooked and ignored as a fat black chick with short hair and it wasn't fun.

I think it's about the total package though. Long hair alone won't cut it. Like the others have said, looking HEALTHY is powerful in itself.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF