An experts opinion of Damp 2 Straight...and the verdict iiiiis.....

All right so after I went ahead and did the damp 2 staight...I decided to ask Dr. Ali Syed his opinion. For those who do not know who he is. He is the founder and I believe president of Avlon...which several brands...including KeraCare, Affirm, FiberGuard, MoisturColor and Ferm. He has a blog where he puts up scientific facts about hair and of course advertise his products. Here's the URL for anyone interested in learning the science of hair and some experiemnts. He's conducted quite a bit of research on hair and I would believe whatever he says wholeheartedly...so I commented a blog and this is what I said....

"
Dr Syed,
Speaking of moisture. I've often heard that when you flat iron damp hair...it is infact sealing the moisture in. Now I'm sure you know about the Wet to Dry flat irons. What is your opinion of wet flat ironing in general. Would you recommend it? By the way I'm an African American woman was 4a type hair. I've done it once and my hair was feeling so soft and it had a lot of bounce to it...why is that?
Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Hi...I forgot to add some of my thoughts. LOL sorry..
I was thinking flat ironing wet hair would be so safer for the hair. Since water absorbs a lot of heat and evaporates I believe at 212 F...so I was thinking I apply a flat iron at 400..it would be 212 less...adding the heat protecting products to my hair...would it mean less heat then blowing drying your hair (drying your hair out) and then proceeding to style...which is usually at 350 higher?....just some thoughts...
:)"

and his response

Vanessa:
I am sorry that I am responding to you somewhat late. I had to perform some experiments to answer your question. I was taught that one should not use flat iron on the wet hair in order to keep hair healthy and less damaged.
I went ahead and performed the experiment in my laboratory regarding the application of the flat iron on wet and dry hairs. The results indicate that wet hair loses significantly more tensile strength and elasticity than the dry hair that has been treated with flat iron at around 390 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the usual temperature for flat ironing.

Source: http://www.dralisyed.com/2009/01/moisture-in-hair.html#comments

Awwww man I knew it would be too good to be true. I just love how soft and how swangish my hair became with this method...but I guess now i know why...so what do you guys think?

outspokenwallflower

I'm curious about trying the damp to dry but this info definetely helps...was the test performed on damp hair, not soaking wet or very wet hair? That may make a difference???

Liege4421

This is only MY opinion, because I have never tried this method. There are a lot of people that will say "yay" and "nay" to what methods you use on your hair, but if it works for YOU, then it is a good method, regardless of what "science" says. I'd be interested to see his lab procedures for the tests he performed, as his answer was quite ambiguous. Not that I think he is unscrupulous, but remember, many people have different motives for what they do and do not say in the hair business. When I was a kid, I honestly had beautiful, natural BSL hair. My know-all beautician got tired of pressing, and talked me into a relaxer, but never bothered to teach me how to take care of it! Now, I am trying to finally take care of my hair the right way. Remember, there are some in the hair business who may not want you to be an empowered hair stylist yourself for fear of losing clientele (PLEASE do not take offense to this if you are a beautician, as I'm sure you are not one of the "bad" types!). If you try this method and your hair does not start to severely break, and it is just as healthy and strong as before, and you're not using this method everyday (which can't be good no matter how strong your hair is), then I'm sure you'll be fine. You know your hair, and you are its best beautician! You don't need validation from science...if it works for you, then work it, girlie!

that_1_grrrl

See, here's the problem with his answer. He does not give any info on these experiments he conducted. How big was his sample? What methods did he use? Which products did he use?

His conclusions do not mean a thing if we do not know how he tested the hypothesis. There could be some major flaws in his experiment. We do not know.

So, as Liege4421 says, if it's working for your hair, continue and be on the look out for any signs of damage.

discodumpling

Sorry his answer does not confirm negative effects of damp flat ironing. Especially since I did and had EXCELLENT results with my maxiglide.

The ladies of LHCF are innovators...we don't readily listen to ANYBODY when it comes to hair products & techniques. We are our own guinea pigs LOL!

SoCalli

His answer is good enough for me, but honestly, I would never try to flat iron damp hair anyway. I also feel like my dry flat ironed hair looks better than the 95% of the damp flat iron hair pictures I've seen. I think I've seen two people that had WOW hair from damp flat ironing. I think in general people don't know how to flat hair period.

countrychickd

His answer is good enough for me, but honestly, I would never try to flat iron damp hair anyway. I also feel like my dry flat ironed hair looks better than the 95% of the damp flat iron hair pictures I've seen. I think I've seen two people that had WOW hair from damp flat ironing. I think in general people don't know how to flat hair period.

ITA! I'm sorry but flat ironing damp or wet hair just seems like damage to me too. I just can't get with it. Maybe after a while, if I see there are truly no harsh side effects or damage being done, but even then I'll be skeptical. I can usually get swanging hair from dry flat ironing, so that's enough for me. :yep: