Another hair shedding/breakage issue post

greenandchic

Since I started going back to hair boards and forums over the past year, I notice that that amount of breakage and shedding I experience is higher than average. I mainly do low manipulation styles, but when I try to do something different to my hair, it feels like every time I put my hands in my hair, my hands are full of broken and shed hair. :nono:

I now finger detangle and prepoo before washing and that helps, I moisture and seal daily. Henna has helped, but its still a big issues.

My hair is medium to fine, porous and dense in most areas.

Any tips, help, ideas? Let me know if you have any questions...

It seems to me that since I started my HHJ I get more issues with my hair, but could that be because I'm actually paying attention to it now??? Enough about me......

What is your regimen like?? Are you getting in adequate amounts of protein and moisture? Breakage is typically due to one of these as the problem...lack of strength or so dry/damaged = breakage. You say that you moisturize and seal daily...but are you doing at least a weekly DC? I use the Aphogee 2 minute every other week and the @ Step at least once every 6 weeks.

^^^I was going to say the same thing, LOL! The minute I take a break from the hair forums, my hair grows like a weed with no problems!

pattyr5

My routine
  • Cowash 2-3 times a week and oil rinse once a week.
  • DC once a week
  • Finger detangle with oil and conditioner
  • Henna every other week now (hopping to stop the breakage)
  • I haven't did a full protein treatment in a while...need to look into that.
  • Moisturize & seal daily

I wonder if Larger View Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner would help. I will look into Aphogee 2-Step (Sally?). I have been using the ION Reconstructor Treatment every once in a while, but wonder if that's enough...

Esthi777 - When I took a break from forums, my hair seemed to have stopped growing. I got lazy for several years. Willy-nilly cowashing daily, horrible detangling practices, sleeping on cotton, using bad products, etc. :nono:

@greenandchic - you are actually my hair-inspiration because your hair in your siggy looks just like mine (the ponytail part though, i can't get slick shiny hair when i pull it back). I was actually thinking of asking you for a few more tips/suggestions. Your hair in your album looks great.

You are almost bsl so you are doing something right. Do you think breakage is just path of course for fine, coarse and very tiny spirally hair like ours (i always describe my curls as spirals/corkscrew because that is what they look like rather than curls)?

For me my whole head is a potential breaking point as it's sooo fragile.
Up until i found hair forums i really don't remember worrying about breakage as much as i do now. Granted, i was relaxed back then and i did still have breakage but then i could handle my hair a little rougher and not see loads of hair in the comb or hear that stretch-----pop sound.

Talking to my Mum today (who has bsl, superstrong hair - no fair) she recons that hair just goes through cycles of feeling great and then feeling crap and i should stop worrying about my hair all the time.

I am seriously considering going back to blowdrying but not flatironing. Flatironing has ruining the front portion of my hair and i'm now 'transitioning' the damage. However, blowdrying saps the little bit of moisture my hair does have :spinning:. There is no way i able to airdry it smooth and soft; it just sets the spirals and then what do i do with it?

Also as i go through my journey, i still have no real idea of what i'm supposed to use to moisturise my hair inbetween washes/on dry hair. The shelves are full of Oil Moisturisers that are thick and greasy and Natural products are too watery for me :nono:, can't do Scurl etc as my hair HATES glycerin with a passion. I have a bathroom and spare room FULL of products and 'ingredients' and i refuse to buy anything more, i'm just going to use up what i've got and not worry about whether i get breakage, cus i get it anyway. The Holy Grail product/regiment doesn't exsist for me so i just have to be as gentle as possible with it and try and ignore the broken hairs.

Do you feel me on this one greenandchic?

Last edited:
Bublin - Thank you! My hair is slick in the front because its actually 3c while the back is 4a (gotta love multi-textured hair! :look:). Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

I wonder if there is something I can do to stop the breakage - especially in the back. I don't use direct heat (haven't even blow dried my hair in 9 years). I used my dryer to diffuse my hair a few times for WnG, but that's about it.

Because of the porosity of my hair, it actually loves oils and oil moisturizers. It also hates glycerin; at least products where glycerin is the first 4 ingredients.

I think I have to break down and buy some protein at Sally this weekend and see what happens. I may need to do protein every 2-3 weeks while doing henna.

I never though about taking supplements specifically for hair since I take enough for my health, but I decided to buy a bottle today at the Vitamin Shoppe this afternoon while they have their BOGO (50% off) to see if there is something I'm still lacking in my diet and supplement regimen.

OP I think you said at some point that you have PCOS? DHT production causes increased hair shedding in women (I should know). I also have PCOS and shed A LOT as well. I'm currently trying black tea rinses and saw palmetto for 3 months to see if it works. I am on week 2 so still early in. I can say the black tea rinse made a difference right away.

Trini_Chutney - I DO have PCOS, diagnosed in 2000.

Because I was finally able to manage it though diet and exercise (dropped 50 lbs - all my excess weight) my periods have been normal for at least 5 years now, and no more ovarian cysts, I didn't think the hair thing would be a problem; I guess that is still a factor. :cry2:

I also have Multiple Sclerosis (diagnosed in 2009) :ohwell: and sometimes wonder if that can cause hair loss; a part of me doesn't want to know, but I doubt it. I'm not taking any meds that can cause it at this time...

I think I may need to get my thyroid check while I'm at it...

How often do you do the black tea rinses? I can add that to my routine.

greenandchic Props for being able to keep it under control! I'm battling the weight loss myself.

I'm doing the black tea rinse with every wash (1x per week). So far I was doing my regular wash and dc, then btr, followed by cold water rinse. Next time I'm going to wash, then btr, then add my dc, and rinse that out when I'm done (some other ladies suggested this). I'm just trying to see which way benefits my hair more. I also plan to try the btr as a final rinse and leave it in (at some point). It is working, I still shed but it's so much less than before.

tea rinses, work.

Same problem low manipulation, normal manipulation over manipulating. My hair was just coming out, started the tea rinses( black tea or green tea) every week. Stopped it in one.

I've started putting( back) green tea in my henna and bentonite clay mixes.

Back