Anti Hide Your Hair Challenge

Country gal

Is anyone against hiding your hair? I use to do it and get weaves or wigs to give my hair a break. Now I am not feeling the hide your hair. I see some friends that have great hair and they don't do as much protective styling. I took my weave out and I am on a personal challenge to sport my hair without protective buns, braids, wigs or weaves. It gets to the point that you do so much that you don't get a chance to enjoy your hair. I was so busy hiding it that I forgot how great my hair is and how much I enjoy swinging it around.

iNicola

I'm not against it, but I don't braids, wear wigs or weaves...anymore. I did wear a sew in all of last year but before that I was not into them. It did more harm than good (for me) because I got lazy and neglected my real hair underneath. I used to wear braids a lot years ago and that caused traction alopecia so I stopped getting them. I've never worn a wig nor am I into them. I like buns and braid/twist/bantu knot outs. I want to enjoy my hair as well so I won't be hiding my hair (besides buns). I'm up for this challenge.

Country gal

I'm not against it, but I don't braids, wear wigs or weaves...anymore. I did wear a sew in all of last year but before that I was not into them. It did more harm than good (for me) because I got lazy and neglected my real hair underneath. I used to wear braids a lot years ago and that caused traction alopecia so I stopped getting them. I've never worn a wig nor am I into them. I like buns and braid/twist/bantu knot outs. I want to enjoy my hair as well so I won't be hiding my hair (besides buns). I'm up for this challenge.

Me too. I started getting lazy and relied on the weaves and wigs. My family would be looking at me crossed eyed and wondering why I wasn't wearing my own hair. I decided to give this a run. I really get lazy in the summer time. I don't know what to do with my hair. I promised myself that I would get my hair styled at least once a month since the stylist gets my hair so silky.

Lylddlebit

LMBO...I feel ya...but I shall not be moved. I am actually going to stick to a challenge for once. ((just like a treeeeeeeeeeeeee....that's planted by the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaater....))

chokolate miss

I'm doing a rollerset challenge on my own. I figure if keep everything else simple, then I will be okay.

I wash 2x/week and then rollerset. I pin curl at night (only about three-two on the side and one in the back).

I take it down in the morning and just separate the curls a bit. There is no combing, besides on wash days and I spritz with Oyin's Greg Juice to moisturize.

So far I have retained all of my growth, which is about an inch since my virgin relaxer two months ago. I think the thing is you have to sacrifice somewhere if length and health are your goals. There are not too many people out there (I don't think), who can comb everyday, wear their hair down, use regular direct heat and achieve a LHCF type goal.

There was a thread on here a while back about "who does not do protective styles". A good number of the ladies with long hair did not do them. But many also said that they did in order to reach their goal and then they wore their hair down more.

Traycee posted on her blog about wearing her hair down more and using heat. She also upped her protein and made other changes to accomodate this.

Sorry, I know you did not ask for that long of an answer. :look: HTH!

SimplyBlessed

IMO I think u cannot care for ur hair properly while in weaves and everybody that says its a good way to give ur hair a break...well that's only if ur not going to a stylists b/c they are gonna braid ur hair tight as hell (bc hey thats they name ur flunting and they want it too last) and if the hair is not ur true texture ur gonna be applying products or blending (straightening) constantly!!

I was the queen of weaves!! Everybody in my family wondered why I never wore my real hair and the fact of the matter is I just didn't like how it looked on me. Sew ins are ok but not for long periods of time...i'm trying sooooooo hard not to get one right now and it is HARD...

I would recommend investing in a good human hair half wig..so u can take off nightly or even a weave that doesn't leave ANY of ur hair out, that way ur not constantly messing with the front of ur hair (just make sure u do ur own braiding or they don't braid ur hair tight)

ajoyfuljoy

wearing a sew in for 4-6 weeks recently made me appreciate my own hair more. I have been on an anti hide your own hair challenge of sorts. I'm pretty sure I'll be braiding out or rodding for most of the summer with occasional rollersets/blowouts. I love my hair and it makes me be more happy with what I have when I wear it out almost everyday.

Also, my hair is still very healthy b/c I give it loads of attention.

Country gal

wearing a sew in for 4-6 weeks recently made me appreciate my own hair more. I have been on an anti hide your own hair challenge of sorts. I'm pretty sure I'll be braiding out or rodding for most of the summer with occasional rollersets/blowouts. I love my hair and it makes me be more happy with what I have when I wear it out almost everyday.

Also, my hair is still very healthy b/c I give it loads of attention.

Same here. I really appreciated my own hair after wearing a bad weave. The stylist did a good job with sewing in the weave. I just had bad hair for the type of activities I was involved in like working out and dancing.

Country gal

IMO I think u cannot care for ur hair properly while in weaves and everybody that says its a good way to give ur hair a break...well that's only if ur not going to a stylists b/c they are gonna braid ur hair tight as hell (bc hey thats they name ur flunting and they want it too last) and if the hair is not ur true texture ur gonna be applying products or blending (straightening) constantly!!

I was the queen of weaves!! Everybody in my family wondered why I never wore my real hair and the fact of the matter is I just didn't like how it looked on me. Sew ins are ok but not for long periods of time...i'm trying sooooooo hard not to get one right now and it is HARD...

I would recommend investing in a good human hair half wig..so u can take off nightly or even a weave that doesn't leave ANY of ur hair out, that way ur not constantly messing with the front of ur hair (just make sure u do ur own braiding or they don't braid ur hair tight)

I did the half wig but it fell down in a restaurant dining area so that was the end of that. :lachen: I agree it is hard to properly take care of your hair while in weaves. I don't manipulate my hair everyday. I just pin curl to maintain the style and don't comb it out.

i feel you on the enjoying your hair tip... i love my crazy fro! however, i have never hidden my hair before so ima see what happens with the cowashing and MT and leave-ins and buns... if no progress this month then im back to my fro