Any ladies here braid their hair w/o extensions

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hi, i'm new to the board and I'd like to get rid of my relaxed hair w/o the big chop. Are there any ladies here who braid their hair w/o extensions? I'm looking 4 any braiding tips or tips on how to care for what I hope to have someday....my natural hair back. I am in the 4b category (I think) my hair is very thick and short due to overprocessing. ;-( i'm sorry if this is a long post, but i have to give my thanks to the ladies here, like Jainygirl and others who have welcomed me to the board. Any tips given will be appreciated...Thanks...Im ashamed to say I don't know how to braid or twist.Can someone help me?

Shawnee66

Hello and welcome to the board. I braid my own hair w/o extensions. If you can't braid you can always get it braided by a professional. I know there is a site that tell you how to braid step by step but I'm not sure where it is located. I have gotten a lot of growth from doing this when I have too much new growth for any other styles. I even wash my hair with the braids in. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

mkstar826

supersonic
Hey :) If you click on my site link below and go the the "natural hair care" folder and then click on the first folder there you will see the "pictorial guide section". I give step-by-steps on braiding, twists, and a lot of other stuff. There's also a Transitioner's corner that may help you as well.

candibaby

I alternate between braiding with extensions and braiding w/o (depends on the look I'm going for). When I braid w/o extensions I usually get the front and back braided up so that my hair is in a ponytail so that I can do the baggie method (spray my hair w/ sta sof fro then slather on vaseline and cover with plastic bag) then I'll cover that with a phony pony (well mine is usually a phony-puff). I spray my natural hair with braid spray (Sta Sof Fro.. Sulfur 8.. whatever) and thats how I keep it moisturized.

lovelymissyoli

candibaby said:
I alternate between braiding with extensions and braiding w/o (depends on the look I'm going for). When I braid w/o extensions I usually get the front and back braided up so that my hair is in a ponytail so that I can do the baggie method (spray my hair w/ sta sof fro then slather on vaseline and cover with plastic bag) then I'll cover that with a phony pony (well mine is usually a phony-puff). I spray my natural hair with braid spray (Sta Sof Fro.. Sulfur 8.. whatever) and thats how I keep it moisturized.
I agree with candibaby! What she described above is how I wear my hair when it is braided without extensions. My hair can't take extensions anymore so I get the best of both worlds by using my own hair. I can better apply moisturizers (without wasting product on the synthetic hair as well), can do the baggie method to protect my ends, and I don't experience as much breakage or pulling.