Canerows/Cornrows w/o extensions

Bublin

Hi All

I'm transitioning by putting in canerows w/o extensions.

How do I keep my hair moisturised without too much build up? What products?

How long have your canerows lasted w/o extensions?

Thanks.

Giselle685

From what I have seen these chicas do..the best method may be to Oil the Scalp with a light oil or heavy oil depending on your hair type. If your hair soaks up oil very fast..make sure to put a heavier oil and put it on your hair either daily or every other day.

Put some moisture on the actual braid of the hair to keep your strands healthy. Some type of moisturizing creme of your choice.

Wrap the hair when you sleep.

Rinse out the build up very well bi weekly as if you were washing your hair.

However, since you may be using cornrows, I am not sure how good your hair would look if you wash it biweekly. If you are putting the cornrows in yourself, maybe you should rebraid biweekly?

I don't know. Help her ladies!! :spinning:

Fine 4s

Besides religiously tying your hair down at night, you can use a spray to keep the braids moisturized with products like African Pride braid spray or with a home made spray.

I can last 3 weeks or more in rows but the fuzziness doesn't bother me.
I'd set a goal to go hard for a few months (plan out all my social events and get some scarfs to hide the fuzzy days if there's an event).

More importantly make certain that the style of choice, say cornrows fits ur lifestyle. If it doesn't , you won't enjoy the process, won't commit to the process and will find all the excuses in the world to take it out which MAY cause over manipulation of the hair.

winnettag

I just use a braid spray, but I'm eyeing the oyin juices & berries and protective mist bodifier. I also oil my scalp.

I wear mine under wigs, so I can keep them in longer with out caring about frizzies....maybe 3-4 weeks. If I weren't wearing wigs though, they would only last 1 week. And that's when I would take them down, wash, DC and put them back in.

Bublin

Thanks Giselle

I'm applying a light oil every night but my scalp is dry as hell and its itching to the point it is getting sore. Whenever i have had them in in the past i've taken them out after 2 days due to this happening everytime - but i want to stick with it and try to solve the problem.

As i have a very dry scalp i'm sure my hair is getting drier and drier. I tried S Curl activator moituriser on the rows but i noticed flakes in my hair so stopped.

Braid spray creates alot of build up too quickly.

Spray them with Wet look spray or, try Taliah Waajid Bodifying Mist. Braid spray tend to sit on the hair and, don't penetrate the cuticle in my opinion.

Going back to when I had them done (yyyyyyyyearssssss ago), my canerow lasted about a week. I could stretch it to 2 weeks if it was tied down religiously.

Giselle685

Thanks Giselle

I'm applying a light oil every night but my scalp is dry as hell and its itching to the point it is getting sore. Whenever i have had them in in the past i've taken them out after 2 days due to this happening everytime - but i want to stick with it and try to solve the problem.

As i have a very dry scalp i'm sure my hair is getting drier and drier. I tried S Curl activator moituriser on the rows but i noticed flakes in my hair so stopped.

Braid spray creates alot of build up too quickly.

You may have an eczema problem from the fake hair in your head. You could mix your oil and creme with an eczema creme to relieve the itch if you wanted to continue the cornrows. Eczema (VERY DRY SKIN) in the scalp could affect your hair growth. Keep it very moisturized. Perhaps switch to heavier oils? Or even mix with shea butter if you did not want to add any eczema cremes to your scalp.

Bublin

Hi sunrise, will try those products.

Oh no just 1 week - i'm trying to avoid manipulation so getting them done that often would defeat the object. (i also can't do them myself very well so the salon cost would be too much)

Don't think i will go down the wig route - perhaps lots of scarves.

Thanks for all the suggestions they have really really helped.

Bublin

You may have an eczema problem from the fake hair in your head. You could mix your oil and creme with an eczema creme to relieve the itch if you wanted to continue the cornrows. Eczema (VERY DRY SKIN) in the scalp could affect your hair growth. Keep it very moisturized. Perhaps switch to heavier oils? Or even mix with shea butter if you did not want to add any eczema cremes to your scalp.

OMG - i never thought of that - i think you might be onto something. I had eczema as a child, both my kids have it and is very prevelant in my family.......running to my son's stash of creams.......

Bettina

Hi Bublin! For my cornrows I use a homemade mix in which I notice no build up or itchy scalp...rose water, aloe vera juice and glycerin (a little though) I spray a light mist on my hair and seal my ends with a dab of coconut oil and a little castor oil. My hair feels sooooooo soft.

and about the itching scalp...I would recomend a light oil---like jojoba or olive mixed with some peppermint EO this really helped sooth the itching and helped keep my cornrows in longer. Hope this helps! :)

varaneka

even though I've never had this style, I bought shea butter lotion from Sally's because the tip is pointed to make it easier for scalp application

OMG - i never thought of that - i think you might be onto something. I had eczema as a child, both my kids have it and is very prevelant in my family.......running to my son's stash of creams.......

Re - think your hair regimen. Take a look at Anita Grant's stuff. I have read good reviews from people with eczema on there. Pricey but good.

ETA: Just had a thought - scalp dryness could be down to good ole London Hard water! If that is the case - water filter it!

Last edited:

Bublin

Re - think your hair regimen. Take a look at Anita Grant's stuff. I have read good reviews from people with eczema on there. Pricey but good.

ETA: Just had a thought - scalp dryness could be down to good ole London Hard water! If that is the case - water filter it!

I'll take a look at her stuff and yes, you maybe onto something with the hard water also.

Just to let you know since my last post i put some 1% hydrocortisone cream on my scalp (between the rows) then applied my usual oil. My scalp has barely itched since.