Any relaxed heads use heat once a week?

Ladylynn

I'm wondering if any relaxed heads use heat once a week? I'm thinking about going back to this because I just had a baby and have no time to do the usual wash, deep condition, set, flat iron roots, saran wrap, etc... etc...

So I'm thinking about washing and deep conditioning once a week and letting my hair air dry over night. In the morning I'll flat iron and curl. I'll pin curl or wrap to maintain the style throughout the week until my next wash.

Do yall think this is too much heat? Do any other relaxed users do this? If so, how is your hair doing? Is it still thriving?

Barbie83

(raising my hand) I do! I do!

I know I shouldnt (because I retain length and health sooo much better when I strictly rollerset), but I do end up using heat a couple times a month. My hair actually looks healthier and feels silkier after I use heat. I'm sure it's actually crying on the inside, but its so addictive!

I think your regimen sounds great. Probably the most damaging heat tool is the blow dryer. So as long as you let it air dry, I dont see anything wrong with using a heat tool on your hair.

But if you're trying to keep as much length as possible, I would say be RELIGIOUS about deep conditioning, use a heat protectant if you can, and keep a very close eye on your ends.

KhandiB

I generally use heat once a week /every two weeks ...

And I have switched up my reggie to accommodate that, I realize I need extra moisture, and I do clip more to keep my ends looking sexy, and Im cool with that, Im rarely happy with my hair when I do it any other way. PLUS Im about to have another baby too, LOL

I cant imagine I will have the time to rollerset that often.

Go for it , just make sure you do a good DC and use a good Heat Protectant.

Oh, and I also almost always use a blowdryer.

Ladylynn

I feel the same way. My hair is definitely silkier with heat. I'm going to try this out for about 8 weeks to see how it works out.

Luscious Locks

PLEASE DON'T DO IT. I tried to flatiron is safer/less damaging ways, and it always ended up badly. My hair was just too limp and dry at the end of the week. I airdry rollerset now and my hair comes out with the kind of straightness I want (not pin straight, but straigther than a regular airdry).

Try it once. It can't hurt.

I do after I hit 6 weeks post. I try (keyword-try) to rollerset up to that point then after the new growth comes in I flat-iron once a week. My hair is doing well because I make sure to balance protein and moisture, but I still want to stop using so much heat.

camilla

I do every two to three weeks i USED to every week my hair was dryer then AND i had to trim more ofter it was not worth it :nono: i set, twist out ,saran wrap etc

Last edited:

leona2025

I flat iron once a week. I shampoo and condition once a week. I don't co wash or pre poo. I let my hair air dry and then I flat iron it using my leave-ins.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I have just started doing this. I plan to wash, DC, either rollerset or airdry and then flat iron. For up keep I put about 8-10 rollers in my hair and go to bed. In the morning I finger comb and go.

The reason I am going to try this is because it seems like when I roller set my hair my ends by day 2 is a tangled mess and split. So far flat ironing has been helping.

Ladylynn

Thanks for the reply's ladies. Lucious locks, how long did you flat iron weekly before your hair became dry?

KhandiB

Thats the best thing to do. I do give my hair a break sometimes as well.. But I almost always use some kind of heat, some heads can take it , some cant, I just happen to have a head of hair that does okay with heat ..

I feel the same way. My hair is definitely silkier with heat. I'm going to try this out for about 8 weeks to see how it works out.

well my hair is so thick, I'm only like 8 weeks post, so yes, I use heat I have this cream that just makes my hair feel so moisturize and silky......but I don't blow dry, if I do blow dry, I use extra heat protectant......and I got a new blow dry that's suppose to be better for the hair.....so i sometimes use heat once a week, and sometimes I go a long time and not use it...like one lady posted some can take the heat and some can't, I know I can take heat......so try it for a while and if YOU think it's too much heat, then stop doing it and try something else.......

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I flat iron once a week..I wash and style myself one week and then the next week the beautician does it. I've had APL hair pretty much for the past 2yrs..

Dannibear86

I do it every other week ... I let my hair air dry about 50% and then blow out the rest and then use a flat iron ( w/ heat protectant). Then the next week I will do a braid out or bantu's or something of that nature. I used to use heat religiously (when I was natural) but I've cut back on that since I found this site and relaxed my hair.

gissellr78

I'm wondering if any relaxed heads use heat once a week? I'm thinking about going back to this because I just had a baby and have no time to do the usual wash, deep condition, set, flat iron roots, saran wrap, etc... etc...

So I'm thinking about washing and deep conditioning once a week and letting my hair air dry over night. In the morning I'll flat iron and curl. I'll pin curl or wrap to maintain the style throughout the week until my next wash.

Do yall think this is too much heat? Do any other relaxed users do this? If so, how is your hair doing? Is it still thriving?

I do and i DC every week and use protein regularly

Aggie

I flat iron/hot curl my ahir only once every 2-6 months, and this depends a lot on how much protective styling I'm doing:yep:. My hair is way too fine to use heat too often. Even my blow dryer is collecting dust.

Last edited:

chebaby

i do and i havent exsperienced any damage so i will keep on. but i am transitioning to natural and since its getting hot here i am co washing more.

tonia682

This is exactly what I do when I am 4 wks post. I too have questions about how safe this is for my hair. However, for me rollersetting is not an option because I am horrible at it. I wash, airdry, flatiron and caruso curl my hair weekly at this point.

Egyptjones

I blow dry and flat iron once a week. Right after my relaxer, I roller set up to the point that my newgrowth REQUIRES that I flat iron my roots. Once I need to flat iron my roots after every roller set, it is just easier to blow dry. I have tried air drying and flat ironing but it just doesn't work for me...my hair no likey.

I do deep condition with heat every week to keep everything in check.

Katt73

I've started washing, deep conditioning, and flatironing with heat protectant once a week and have been doing so for about five weeks now. The funny thing is that I (at least for now) experience lots less tangling and breakage. My hair is much silkier and shinier and the comb just glides right through. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and go with it as long as I see no damage.

PGirl

I think it can be done safely in my case anyway. I do a ponytail rollerset weekly after shampoo and DC and then I flat iron with chi silk infusion as a heat protectant. I use medium heat and I focus on the roots and barely hit my ends with the iron. I use protein regularly (with moisture) and sometimes I henna.

My hair is healthier than ever....especially since I found LHCF! I am retaining length now that I started stretching my relaxers, moisturize daily, and stopped trimming so often.

bgsix

I do it. If you decide to undertake this, I suggest a deep condition with heat every time. What I do is shampoo/dc/airdry-80%/blowdry lightly medium heat (with heat protectant of course)/flat iron with a serum.

Hope you find something that works for you.

gissellr78

Beautiful hair... what is your regimen. Do you use heat once a week? Do you air dry or blow dry? Please tell. Your hair is fabulous!

Thanks, Your hair looks very healthy...

I wash..I use protein every week like a reconstructor and nexxus emergencee every other week. and after all that i DC for like 30 minutes. Rollerset then blow my roots if i go to the salon if i do it at home i do my entire head with Chi silk infusion and heat protectant

gissellr78

I've started washing, deep conditioning, and flatironing with heat protectant once a week and have been doing so for about five weeks now. The funny thing is that I (at least for now) experience lots less tangling and breakage. My hair is much silkier and shinier and the comb just glides right through. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and go with it as long as I see no damage.

I agree when the hair is silky i find it breaks less IMO

lunabelle

I rollersetted my hair for about four years straight, I didn't even own a flatiron in college. Never got past APL. I always had little broken hairs everywhere. But my senior year I let my roommate flatiron my hair and saw the light. It was so silky! Then when I started doing it myself I hit BSL. But keep up on the dc's and protein.