Anybody blowdry regularly and still get growth?

achangedlife

Yesterday I blowdried for the first time in a loooooong time, and I liked the results. Here's what I did:

Shampooed and conditioned for about 5 minutes. Applied my leave in and a quater size of Chi Silk Infusion, which was actually more than I intended on using. Then I sectioned my hair into 6 sections and clipped them up. Starting at the nape I blowdried each section one by one using a wide tooth comb. I blowdried on cool the entire time, not one puff of warm or hot air touched my hair. I also made sure to point the nozzle downward insead of directly at my hair. Once all the sections were dry I flat ironed my hair.

My hair came out looking thick and full and healthy. Even my double processed ends that I've been hating for the last couple months look healthy. On top of that I lost a lot less hair then when I airdry then flat iron or when I flat iron my damp hair. I didn't put any other products on before I flat ironed or after. I tied it up with a scarf before bed. I didn't even put anything in my hair this morning and it still feel moisturized. It also feels stronger. My hair stayed smooth all day and with no frizz. This was my first time using silk infusion so I'm not sure if it contributed to the increase strength or if it was the drying with cool air. I didn't get the amount of shine I expected with the silk infusion but it looks healthy and that's good enough for me.

I think I might adapt this method of drying. The cool air helps the cuticles close which hold in moisture and shine. I'm gonna do this for a while and see how it works out. I don't think once or twice a week will hurt. Anybody else blowdry regulary with good results?

Nayeli

After almost three years of being on a strict (and I do mean strict) air-dry routine, I am about to start blow-drying twice a month. I think my hair is healthy enough to withstand it and am confident that it can actually help my hair. I just co-washed and blow-dried actually and my hair feels great! I wish you all the best!

Faux

I went from SL to APL in about a year, maybe a little less, and that was with blowdrying (and then flat ironing on top of that :perplexed) once a week. With hot/warm air.

I've stopped blowdrying recently because even though I was definitely retaining length, I felt like I was losing too much hair on wash days. I want my hair to thicken up some.

Jewell

Just had to stick my head in and say that blowdrying regularly will not affect whether the hair grows or not. Hair grows from the scalp, of course, so a blowdryer will not affect what the follicles do. It will, however, affect retention, which is the amount of hair that is kept AFTER it grows out of the scalp. But I know what you meant by the question!

I don't blowdry...my hair HATES it, and it always leads to more flyaways and roughness than I care to deal with. Guess this head is addicted to air drying or drying on rollers beneath a hooded dryer! Sylver2 blowdries regularly (after each wash most times), and she has long, healthy hair (about MBL-WL) and always has beautiful results each time she does blowdry!

virtuenow

I blowdry (tension method) with every wash and, yes, of course I'm retaining length. Heat is not the enemy (not for me at least). The only setback I had was recently from a protective type style

Aireen

After every shampoo and "deep" condition I blow-dry. I don't flat iron though and I don't moisturize and seal my hair.
This works the BEST for my hair. My hair really does thrive this way. Other people might disagree but to each their own, right? :)

NIN4eva

When I'm natural I can get away with styling with heat.

When I'm relaxed absolutely not.

L.Brown1114

sorry to steal your thread OP but i just blowdried my hair and my curls take forever to come back!! does this happen to you. this may sound dumb but i thought the second curly hair got moisture it went right back to where it started from. for me thats no the case at all. i did two cowashes and got them back but i have a lot of frizz and straightness still so i gotta DC. does it take a lot for you guys??

Shoediva

Sure can. I started growning my hair out in August 09 from a layered bob (Above EL) Im now grazing SL. I blowdry/flat iron once a week.

JJamiah

I blow Dry every week; I also use aphogee leave in and green tea with each blow dry. My hair is growing fine.

achangedlife

sorry to steal your thread OP but i just blowdried my hair and my curls take forever to come back!! does this happen to you. this may sound dumb but i thought the second curly hair got moisture it went right back to where it started from. for me thats no the case at all. i did two cowashes and got them back but i have a lot of frizz and straightness still so i gotta DC. does it take a lot for you guys??

I've heard of curly hair getting heat damaged and not returning to their natural pattern. Some of the naturals maybe able to help you with this.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm going to start blow drying and straightening my hair once every two weeks. When I was relaxed and used the Wanakee system I didn't have alot of problems at all. My hair was healthy until I started skipping around on products and bad stylists.

You don't need blazing hot air to blowdry your grass. You can do it on cool/warm and your hair will retain more moisture than when you fry it.