Anybody hate co-washing??

pattyr5

I have been co-washing for a few weeks now and I have to say...I am not liking it. My hair seems dry, weighed down and stringy. At first I was using VO5 but recently switched to Herbal Essence thinking I just wasn't feeling the conditioner but this is just not happening.

A few summers ago I used to load up my hair with conditioner and hit the beach to give me some protection from the water. My hair grew like crazy that summer, so I was sure co-washing was the answer. After I cowash, I do twist outs and I just don't like them...they are bad on the first day and look worse the day after. So is it the conditioners I'm using, or my hair just doesn't like it???? :perplexed

belldandy

Sometimes it can be hit or miss. What are you putting on your hair after you cowash? Are you combing your hair in the shower? My outcome totally depends on my technique now that I know which products I like.

I really love Eyore though.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I'm not a co-washing fan either. I feel like it causes build-up and hair that just doesn't feel right. I've tried VO5 and Tresseme and I'd rather use shampoo. I get itchy scalp too. Not sure why since I rinse it the same as after shampooing.

KinkyGenius

For me, it was (1) choice of conditioner and (2) leave-ins.

(1) - ALOT of trial and error for the right conditioner!! I finally found one that worked for my hair though. I use Tresemme Naturals, which is silcone free so I don't experience build up or coated strands.

(2) - When I wash my hair on my normal wash day, I usually use cream-based moisture leave-ins because I rollerset with almost every shampoo wash. Not sure why I did it, but I tried a water-based moisture leave-in (Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic) and my hair dried incredibly soft after airdrying from my co-wash.

But cowashes aren't "right" for everyone so you definitely have to do what you feel is best!

Aggie

I love cowashing now that my hair is natural and it keeps my hair pretty soft. I have been using Joico conditioners but I also use natural/organic conditioners with no cones, parabens, etc. I know for sure that using my water filter makes a whole lot of difference in how favorably my hair responds to cowashing or any kind of washing for that matter.

Briabiggles

I cowash almost every day. I love it but I know it's not for everyone. You have to do what works for you.

JJamiah

I use Hair One Olive Oil, before that I didn't care for co-washes. Now I co-Wash Weekly and shampoo monthly :D

pattyr5

Sometimes it can be hit or miss. What are you putting on your hair after you cowash? Are you combing your hair in the shower? My outcome totally depends on my technique now that I know which products I like.

I really love Eyore though.

I love Eyore too, lol!!!

As for what I'm using....I have been trying different things because I have liked the way my hair felt. Since I am doing twist outs I am using Cantu Shea Butter on my ends, Biofusion leave in Conditioner, Coconut Oil, Keratin Leave in Spritz, QP Elasta Mango Butter....not all at the same time...I've been alternating to find what works.... nothing so far. The very first twist out i did afeter a regular wash and shampoo looks great. I go downhill after that :nono:

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I tried it in the past and while I thought it was great, I just missed my suds. I went back to them. Mind you, I use the shampoos with low sufracants though. With cowashing I felt my hair wasn't getting clean, although I know it was.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Love Co-Washing. I co-wash weekly.:yep: It has helped tremendously with my Dry Hair.

I like to use a good conditioner for co-washing. Either Nexxus Humectress, AO, J/A/S/O/N, Natures Gate, TIGI, or something very moisturizing.

I do clarify faithfully once every 4-6 weeks with either a Clarifying Shampoo or Conditioner.

And never had any issues.

chelleypie810

I HATED cowashing before I found WEN and Hair One. I cowash..when I feel like it. About 2-3x a week. I love it. My hair is def. thanking me for it b/c its about 20x more moisturized than its ever been in my life.

NIN4eva

I co-wash/rinse 3-4 times per week. I wouldn't do it so often if I were not working out regularly. Sometimes I just rinse without adding conditioner, then add my leave-in and serums. I hate co-wash buildup on my scalp but my strands love water. In addition, I've been using Aussie Moist Cond for about a week or so and have not had to deal with build up issues so far.

nymane

I just finished co-washing :giggle: I love it, it keeps my hair very soft...I always pre-poo with Suave Tropical Coconut then co-wash with VO5 MM :lick:

Tene

I love co washing and it keeps my hair so soft. But I had to switch to cone free conditioners cause I was experiencing too much build up.

I love co-washing. I do it about 2-3x a week. By doing so, my hair feels moisturized, soft, and clean. I use Vo5 Moisture Milks and use HE LTR Split-End Protector and NTM Silky Touch Leave-In. It really is a procedure that isn't for everyone. As mentioned, maybe a change of products can help.

beautyaddict1913

I only co-wash once per week, every Monday...I use Yes to Tomatoes, but I really wanna try this Hair One...Im going to Sallys tomoro bcuz of yall lol!
I wash with a sulfate free poo every Thursday....just to let you know, switching to Herbal Essence may not improve things, as most HE cons have cones and if you are having a moisture problem, cones seem to add fire to the flame!
How often are you co-washing? Once or twice per week I would try an oil rinse, letting your fave oil sit on your hair a few minutes before you add your conditioner and rinsing thoroughly...I would suggest doing that until your moisture is restored....also are you deep conditioning? It helps to dc once a week, but finding a really good dc product can prove problematic, it really is trial and error!
Also, after co-washing, dont forget to use a water based leave-in (w/ water as the first ingredient) and to seal the leave-in with oil or an oil based product. I use Giovanni Direct Leave In and seal with Qhemet AOHC....your Elasta QP mango butter is water based, so make sure you are sealing it!

hope this helps!

4evershika

cones! If you co-wash more than once a week, I'd use a cone-free conditioner so that you won't get buildup (which makes your hair feel dry)

Herbal Essences conditioners are awesome but they're laden w/ silicones.

Muse

I love co washing and it keeps my hair so soft. But I had to switch to cone free conditioners cause I was experiencing too much build up.

Same here.

I only co-wash once per week, every Monday...I use Yes to Tomatoes, but I really wanna try this Hair One...Im going to Sallys tomoro bcuz of yall lol!
I wash with a sulfate free poo every Thursday....just to let you know, switching to Herbal Essence may not improve things, as most HE cons have cones and if you are having a moisture problem, cones seem to add fire to the flame!
How often are you co-washing? Once or twice per week I would try an oil rinse, letting your fave oil sit on your hair a few minutes before you add your conditioner and rinsing thoroughly...I would suggest doing that until your moisture is restored....also are you deep conditioning? It helps to dc once a week, but finding a really good dc product can prove problematic, it really is trial and error!
Also, after co-washing, dont forget to use a water based leave-in (w/ water as the first ingredient) and to seal the leave-in with oil or an oil based product. I use Giovanni Direct Leave In and seal with Qhemet AOHC....your Elasta QP mango butter is water based, so make sure you are sealing it!

hope this helps!

I agree with the bolded.

cones! If you co-wash more than once a week, I'd use a cone-free conditioner so that you won't get buildup (which makes your hair feel dry)

Herbal Essences conditioners are awesome but they're laden w/ silicones.

Agreed. I am not cone free all the time but I find if you are going to do frequent cowashes that cone free cons are the way to go. I tried a few of the HE cons and though they work great in the beginning they will lead to some wicked build up and dryness. They made my hair feel really weird after a while. I also use to use VO5. I love the slip and initial moisture it gives but it didn't last long at all. I use Skala now which is like a pumped up VO5. It gives major slip and softness that lasts well after my hair is dry. All of Skala products are cone free and are targeted towards specific hair issues you may have. You can find them at Big Lots for a dollar.

beautyaddict1913

Same here.

I agree with the bolded.

Agreed. I am not cone free all the time but I find if you are going to do frequent cowashes that cone free cons are the way to go. I tried a few of the HE cons and though they work great in the beginning they will lead to some wicked build up and dryness. They made my hair feel really weird after a while. I also use to use VO5. I love the slip and initial moisture it gives but it didn't last long at all. I use Skala now which is like a pumped up VO5. It gives major slip and softness that lasts well after my hair is dry. All of Skala products are cone free and are targeted towards specific hair issues you may have. You can find them at Big Lots for a dollar.

Ok at first I wasnt gonna hop on the Skala bandwagon but since you said that I'm going to Big Lots today! Darn your times!:wallbash:

BostonMaria

I have been co-washing for a few weeks now and I have to say...I am not liking it. My hair seems dry, weighed down and stringy. At first I was using VO5 but recently switched to Herbal Essence thinking I just wasn't feeling the conditioner but this is just not happening.

A few summers ago I used to load up my hair with conditioner and hit the beach to give me some protection from the water. My hair grew like crazy that summer, so I was sure co-washing was the answer. After I cowash, I do twist outs and I just don't like them...they are bad on the first day and look worse the day after. So is it the conditioners I'm using, or my hair just doesn't like it???? :perplexed

I don't know about you, but VO5, Tresemme and Garnier conditioners dries out my hair like crazy. I can only co-wash with Suave conditioners (my fave is coconut) and its made a huge difference in my hair.

When I was transitioning I never co-washed. Once I BC'd I continued to shampoo my hair almost daily. Finally about 5 months later I decided to give co-washing a try and my hair did a 180. If I shampoo more than once a month now my hair gets dry and frizzy. I very rarely use shampoo.

pattyr5

I don't know about you, but VO5, Tresemme and Garnier conditioners dries out my hair like crazy. I can only co-wash with Suave conditioners (my fave is coconut) and its made a huge difference in my hair.

When I was transitioning I never co-washed. Once I BC'd I continued to shampoo my hair almost daily. Finally about 5 months later I decided to give co-washing a try and my hair did a 180. If I shampoo more than once a month now my hair gets dry and frizzy. I very rarely use shampoo.

My hair gets really dry with VO5 and Tresemme too! Last night I washed and conditioned with Herbal Essence and it feels better than it was. Also, my scalp felt really dry and itchy....like it was coated with cement. I really want to give co-washing a really good try, but not to put my hair in worse condition than I started out with.

Muse

Ok at first I wasnt gonna hop on the Skala bandwagon but since you said that I'm going to Big Lots today! Darn your times!:wallbash:

Girl you'd better hop on the Skala train before it leaves you :lachen:. I see you keep trying to hold out, try it and let us know how you like it in the Skala thread. :yep:

BostonMaria

My hair gets really dry with VO5 and Tresemme too! Last night I washed and conditioned with Herbal Essence and it feels better than it was. Also, my scalp felt really dry and itchy....like it was coated with cement. I really want to give co-washing a really good try, but not to put my hair in worse condition than I started out with.

I think its the silicones in those conditioners, but don't quote me on that since I'm not 100% sure LOL Not all conditioners are the same, that's for sure. Pantene conditioners don't work on me either.

My hair is the same way, my hair feels coated like if it had wax on it. I can't explain it.

30something

Hate! NO!! NEVER!!!
Honestly I use too, it took practice. My problem was my rinsing and air drying techniques. Cool/cold rinses and air drying in a style i.e braid outs keeps my hair feeling moist. If i try to air dry having it out, it ALWAYS felt drier no matter what.

KinkyGenius

I think its the silicones in those conditioners, but don't quote me on that since I'm not 100% sure LOL Not all conditioners are the same, that's for sure. Pantene conditioners don't work on me either.

My hair is the same way, my hair feels coated like if it had wax on it. I can't explain it.

I would agree with you, I think it's the silicones as well.

pattyr5

Ok, now this is they way my hair feels. In some ways it feels soft and moist, but it doesn't seem to hold my braid or twist outs. It just ends up looking limp and stringy.

beautyaddict1913

Ok, now this is they way my hair feels. In some ways it feels soft and moist, but it doesn't seem to hold my braid or twist outs. It just ends up looking limp and stringy.

Dry hair normally isn't stringy or limp. Usually over-moisturized hair is. Have you done a protein treatment? If you haven't I would try a light one. I prefer homemade protein treatments with egg yolk, mayo, etc. But I only do it as needed, not on a once a month basis or anything scheduled. And I always deep condition after I use protein.
We are going to get to the bottom of your hair issue miss!:grin: