Anyone use kiddie perms for touch-ups?

candycane

If so, what were/are your results. I am seriously considering giving up lye relaxers and going back to no lye but wanted to check all of my options before I do my touch up. Please share your experiences....TIA

candycane

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
I USED to touch-up w/Just for Me no-lye relaxer up until I joined the board last year. In all honesty, I liked using the "kiddie perm" but my hairdresser told me kiddie perms are the worst ones to use b/c they contain calcium hydroxide (i believe that's what it's called), which dries out one's hair. I've been "experimenting" with different ones since joining the board, and I think my next venture will be Elucence b/c of all the raves I've heard about it!!

KAddy

I used Just for me in the past probably 2 times. I agree that they can be drying. I know someone told me something about how they are not better than other relaxers not geared for young children. I do not remember what they told me though.

Honi

There is no board.
I've tried them ALL. They are no better than some adult relaxers out there.

MizAvalon

nolechik said:
I USED to touch-up w/Just for Me no-lye relaxer up until I joined the board last year. In all honesty, I liked using the "kiddie perm" but my hairdresser told me kiddie perms are the worst ones to use b/c they contain calcium hydroxide (i believe that's what it's called), which dries out one's hair. I've been "experimenting" with different ones since joining the board, and I think my next venture will be Elucence b/c of all the raves I've heard about it!!

Wow, really? Why would they make something like that for children? But then again I guess I shouldn't be surprised since so many products that are supposedly geared towards kids are actually very harsh. A prime example is baby shampoo.

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
MizAvalon...I think it's b/c kiddie perms are geared towards virgin hair, so my guess would be they're stronger so the relaxer will take the first time in someone's hair?!?!?

B

ballet_bun

My last touch up was with Kid's Organics. I mixed it with AO J.A.Y. conditioner. I also used a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo after washing with the neutralizer that came with it. After washing, I used Aphogee Treatment in my hair. I've always done this when I used no-lye, that is using the aphogee treatment. This didn't seem to work very well when I used Lye relaxers. Besides, no-lye is more gentle on my scalp.

candycane

ballet_bun said:
My last touch up was with Kid's Organics. I mixed it with AO J.A.Y. conditioner. I also used a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo after washing with the neutralizer that came with it. After washing, I used Aphogee Treatment in my hair. I've always done this when I used no-lye, that is using the aphogee treatment. This didn't seem to work very well when I used Lye relaxers. Besides, no-lye is more gentle on my scalp.
Hey BB,
Can you give an example of a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo and also explain it's purpose. TIA

candycane

B

ballet_bun

candycane said:
Hey BB,
Can you give an example of a decalcifying neutralizing shampoo and also explain it's purpose. TIA

candycane
Kid's Organics is made by Africa's Best. One of the regualr relaxers by Africa's Best contains a Decalcifying Neutralizing shampoo. So, I purchased the relaxer kit just so that I could use the Decalcifying Neutralizing shampoo with my Kid's Organics Relaxer. It's supposed to help remove calcium deposits on the hair I guess, since no-lye contains Calcium Hydroxide.

HTH!

Ballet Bun

InsertCleverNameHere

Hi! Back when I was younger and got perms I used Just for Me. It really agreed with my hair. If I ever go back to perms, that is what I will use. My stupid hardresser at the time, switched me to motions because I was 16 and supposedly "too old" for kiddie perms and that was an absolute disaster!