Lye Relaxed Ladies Please help!!

Cleo

I'm on my way to the BSS and am considering changing to a lye relaxer. Is there such thing as a lye relaxer that you can use where you don't have to base your scalp first? What does no base mean exactly on the relaxer jar? Please help, TIA.

...Also for those who have used Designers Touch, can you use this relaxer with out basing your scalp. I really want to switch but I don't want to have to base since I never did it with my no-lye relaxers (I do them myself).

ladylibra_30

hi cleo:
no base relaxers are usually no-lye relaxers. no-lye (in most cases) does not burn and you don't need to base your scalp/hairline. however, i think you should always base your scalp/hairline for added protection.

congrats on deciding to go lye!

Cleo

Thanks ladylibra! I usually put vaseline around my hairline and ears, but if I switch to a lye relaxer is it a MUST that I base my scalp or I'll burn. I've used no-lyes because my scalp is kind of sensitive and I've never based when I've used them and had no problems whatsoever. TIA

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
It's a must! Don't take the chance of not doing so. Even professional stylist who know how long to apply relaxers base the scalp.

If you have a sensitive scalp, I especially wouldn't.

LEOLADYSW

I have never based my scalp, and I have never burned myself. The only time I have ever had burns were in salons and they were few and far between.

Cleo

Leolady, do you relax with lye or no-lye. I'm assuming you are talking about lye, but I want to be certain.

...Also any other ladies that have had experiences with Designers Touch? Do you always base your scalp if you self relax?

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
[ QUOTE ]
ladylibra_30 said:
hi cleo:
no base relaxers are usually no-lye relaxers.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAIT! No-base is not the same as no-lye. No-base means that it is a LYE relaxer. I just used one on my daughter's hair and had to be sure about that before I did it.

Cleo

Thanks i12somh! Did you base your daughters scalp when you used the no base relaxer? TIA ...I'm really trying to decide if I should just stick to what I've been doing.

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
[ QUOTE ]
Cleo said:
Thanks i12somh! Did you base your daughters scalp when you used the no base relaxer? TIA ...I'm really trying to decide if I should just stick to what I've been doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did base her scalp, but that's because this is new to me and it was her first relaxer. You should do what feels right for you. I applied the relaxer about a half an inch away from her scalp and I skipped the ends, but during the last two or three minutes of application time, I went back and smoothed it into her roots and ends. She was fine.

Cleo

Thanks ladies! Anyone else use a lye relaxer and does not base? I'd really like to know because if I MUST base, then I may stick to no-lye.

Hadiyah

I think that you should base w/ the lye relaxers and don't let basing be a reason not to switch, when you base it allows the scalp to absorb the base I still don't understand how people that have used no-lye have healthy hair
most no-lye relaxers contain calcium hydroxide which hardens the hair and make it grainy, and dry. hope this helps,

AnjelLuvs

I think u should base always especially if u do relaxers urself, it allows more time, whethere it be a Lye or no lye relaxer. I second that hadiyah no lye does leave hair a lil on dry side, but I always used to folow up with a good conditioner.

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I just went to the salon las Wednesday for my first "professional" relaxer in 4 years. The stylist used the new Optimum formula...the multi-mineral one that is no-lye and lye chemicals. Supposedly, the "no-lye" part of the formula is to not burn your scalp, and the "lye" part is to not dry your hair out. Anyway, my relaxer is the best that I have gotten in my lifetime. My scalp did not burn and my hair came out soft, silky, shiny...it even looks moist. I would normally request to base my scalp, but I had so much product on my scalp that I didn't need it at the time. I would suggest a base in general though. It hasn't been a week yet, but I don't see any of the signs of dryness and brittleness that I normally get with a no-lye. I'm happy with it. But as we all know....YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I hope this was helpful

Cleo

Thanks ladies. Hadiyah and Anjel, I understand that lye's are suppose to be better for your hair in the long run, but just to let you know myself and quite a few other LHCF ladies with bra-strap hair have been using no-lyes and have nice, healthy-looking tresses. I have been using no-lyes for 17 years with no major problems at all. Here is a link to my album:
http://photos.yahoo.com/mish_524

These pics are from 12/03

AnjelLuvs

I am not downing no lye, please dont take it that way, LOL, I am just stating that I notice a difference, I should not be able to buy Lye perms in the future I will go back to my supreme perms, but for now Affirm is my new buddy.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I switched to Affirm Lye relaxer and I have to agree with everyone. It really does make a difference in how yur hair feels. My hair never feel dry anymore. I do believe in the long run it is much better on the hair.

K

kareemtiheed

I was told in school that no lye leaves a calcium buildup on the hair and lye perm lasts longer to straighten. We use deep brillance or dudley.

Cleo

[ QUOTE ]
ichephren said:
Meanwhile your hair is freaking fabulous...so what's your regimen? Sorry for hijacking the thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Ichephren you are too funny .... my regimen is pretty simple. I wash and condition once a week, and I do light protein whenever I feel I need it. Sometimes that's every week, or every other week. I wrap daily misting my hair with my leave-in and I where my hair down 60% of the time. HTH.

Lindy

Cleo,
In case you missed my post re: my recent hair mishap at the salon, my stylist used Designer Touch Lye on my hair instead of the Affirm No Lye Mild that I've used for the past 4 years or so!

They did base my scalp, and I've always heard that lye relaxers can burn/irritate the scalp more than no lye, but I have to admit that it felt NO DIFFERENT AT ALL than the Affirm does. I actually got LESS irritation on my scalp than I've had at certain other times using the Affirm No Lye.

I think I've read here that the Designer Touch is a little easier on the scalp than some of the other lye relaxers though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Have you decided yet whether you'll be making the switch to lye?? So far I'm really liking the way my lye relaxed new growth looks & feels.
I think I'm going to stick with the lye.

chanou

Well my stylist used a no lye relaxer on my hair last friday and it did not come out well at all- I've always used motions lye- she used hawain silky no lye relaxer on my hair and now I have two different hair textures- the lye ends look fine and the no lye hair now looks like tamed down new growth- wrost she tried to cut out all the lye ends (all of my hair) by telling me that my ends were thinned- so now I don't know what I'm going to do.