Aphogee disaster

mags23

Hi ladies,

I did my first Aphogee treatment a few days ago. I spend two hours trying to detangle my hair. I used the balancing moisturizer and followed the instructions. I ended with a lot of hair breakage. Please share your tips and advice. :confused:

KiniKakes

Oh dear, im sorry that you had so much breakage. Im sure we can figure this out.

Did you try to comb it with the treatment still in it, or not until afterward?

Was it soft after you did all the conditioning treatments? Or was it still hard? In addition to the moisturizing conditioner that it comes with, I use my own deep conditioner. That gets my hair really soft and supple. I dont think its enough to just use the conditioner that they provide.

I dont bother to comb it myself afterward though. I slap in some moisturizer and bun to dry..... then i go to the salon the next day. I dont like to do my own sets.

Sistaslick

Did you make sure to fully rinse all traces of the treatment out? Sometimes, I find I have stubborn areas that don't want to rinse clean right away.

Then, that Balancing Moisturizer is the devil. :mad: Its not nearly moisturizing enough to restore the hair to normal following a treatment as strong as Aphogee. You really have to break out the best moisturizing conditioners in your hair care arsenal to handle this job.

I usually leave the Balancing moisturizer in for 5 minutes, rinse, and like Kini, deep condition with something else. I usually use something like Creme of Nature Nourishing conditioner/At One Botanicals mix for 45 mins or until my hair softens again.:) I refuse walk out that bathroom until my hair feels right.:lol:

KiniKakes

Sistaslick said:
I usually use something like Creme of Nature Nourishing conditioner/At One Botanicals mix for 45 mins or until my hair softens again.:) I refuse walk out that bathroom until my hair feels right.

Right.... I definitely use my most potent deep, moisturizing conditioner treatment. For me, it's a homemade concoction that consists of Suave Milk & Honey Conditioner, olive oil, and honey. And then i follow up by saturating my hair w/ORS Olive Oil moisturizer, bunning, and sleeping with a plastic cap and scarf (baggy method) overnight. The moisture is fully restored by that point.

Last edited:

dynamic1

I use porosity control or Regenal by Wella after thoroughly rinsing the Aphogee from my hair. Just did it Sunday and it works like a dream.

tenderheaded

I'm so sorry!! I love Aphogee. I add additional conditioning in the form of ORS RP with extra EVOO. I've used it for 13 months with no problems!!! I always use it right before relaxing.

Keep moisturizing. It will get better:)

sky_blu

*as I sit with Aphogee in my head, seriously* What I usually do and what Ill be doing right now is deep conditioning my hair after I rinse this stuff out then condition again with a moisturizing con. My hair usually goes back to normal after that.

*ElleB

I must say that I had the same issue when i used the Aphogee treatment. But what I did to mess me up was that I didn't comb it through, I worked it in with my hands.....Bad MOVE on my part. I ended up having to cut some hair that just wouldn't detangle...

lonei

Aphogee does it again. This happened to me 2 years ago, exactly what you described, I was horrified. This is where all my hair troubles began. It made a lot of my hair go frizzy, thats why i had to do a corrective with motions lye (BAD MOVE), and the rest is history...I dont know what to tell ya

Mizani_Mrs

I'd agree... there is NOTHING ''moisturizing' about their balancing moisturizer. You need to use your own fav deep moist trtmnt and add a lil oil to it for softness. Mines, i always use nexxus hummectress. As a matter of fact, after I rinse out aphogee, I always shampoo once again with CON poo and that is really what returns my hair back to soft. then I do the hummectess with a little oil to return the suppleness. And just like the instrucitons said...never ever agitate or even move the hair or you are asking for trouble. I had the same issue u had and I've been using emergencee ever since. I still have aphogee to use one day when i run out..but i doubt i'll be using it soon.

Anytime your hair is tangle-city as a result of aphogee, jump in the shower under cool water and lather up with alot of CON poo and it will make it alot easier and faster to detangle... (speaking from my nightmare experience)

lonei said:
Aphogee does it again. This happened to me 2 years ago, exactly what you described, I was horrified. This is where all my hair troubles began. It made a lot of my hair go frizzy, thats why i had to do a corrective with motions lye (BAD MOVE), and the rest is history...I dont know what to tell ya

I had the same reaction with aphogee four years ago and ended up cutting my hair hella short (ear length). I decided to give it a try again last year and spent two hours trying to get it all out of my hair and detangle. NEVA EVA Again! I will never use it again. I am sticking to Nexus Emergencee and weekly protein maintenance. For me, aphogee did more harm than good!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
geez, the same thing happened to me with Aphogee, also. Even after it failed me once, I gave it another try and it did the same thing! That Balancing Moisturizer did nothing. My hair felt a little bit soft, but it was so hard to detangle. There was more hair in my comb after the Aphogee treatment than there was before...go figure.

Healthb4Length

I'm sorry you went through that drama! I HATE their Balancing conditioner, it's hot garabe! Everything ain't for everybody, maybe you would have better luck with NEXXUS Emergencee. It's hardcore but not as much as Aphogee.

HighlyFavored1

I use Emergencee, but I don't exactly follow the directions, it works better when you give it a little more time to harden. I've never used the Aphogee treatment but I've used their shampoo and balancing moisturizer and even I can tell you that it sucks. It even made my hair shed, everytime I put it in my head strands of hair would come out. I gave it about 3 times before I threw in the trash.

MizaniMami

Deg, I must be the only one who's hair ate aphogee up like no tomorrow:lol:

I did a corrective relaxer this weekend and my hair loved the aphogee afterwards-maybe from the damage of the relaxer.

But anyways I used humecto afterwards and then I mixed it with Aveda Dr conditioner. Perfect soft hair.

ETA: I mixed my aphogee with Emergencee, I almost forgot, maybe that is another reason why it came out so perfect. Emergencee never fails me.

aprilbiz

I always have Aphoghee on hand in case of an emergency because it will stop breakage (particularly when I was bleaching/coloring,) however I think of it as something that should be used for EXTREMELY damaged hair.

If your hair isn't in that bad of shape I would not use it as a regular treatment. I would just use Emergencee (sometimes it's still too strong for me) or better yet another protein reconstructor like ORS Replenishing Pak (not sure if that is correct.)

I agree w/ everyone re: the balance moisturizing conditioner. It may be adding moisture, but it does not give you any slip. I usually use it in addition to another conditioner that will detangle.

dynamic1

I should add that I used a moisturizing conditioner with the Regenal (for porosity) and it works wonders. I use aphogee about 3-4 times per year. This week I decided to do another because I am seriously considering color.

mags23

Thank you all for responding. I decided to cut my hair ear length and start over. After the Aphogee experience, I got a weave and my hair thin out really bad. I only had the weave in for a short period of time, but it started to itch and burn within 24 -48 hours. I'm just having a bad hair month. Hopefully I will be on the right path to health hair soon.

Faith

I keep telling you all to stay away from this product..lol. I think for MOST it's better left to a time where you REALLY need it. It left my hair in a spider web of tangles. I lost chucks of hair. I had to use a baking soda mix to counteract what the aphogee did. Then when dry use giovanni vitapro fusion as a leave in.

I'm all for Emergencee

Last edited:

mahogany66

I tried this treatment yesterday, I purchased their moisturizer too, but I am glad I had my HUMECTO to follow up. I must admit that I saw a BIG difference immediatley, my hair was feeling like cotton and now it feels strong and healthy. :)