Apl Challenge 2017

faithVA

How many of you guys are able to not comb your hair until wash day?

I am attempting this again, but I always have the negative mindset that I can't do it. :ohwell:. However I haven't used the comb all this week and I have managed to look quite presentable and my hair has been fairly easy to work with. It's easy enough to do when the hair is moisturised and behaving itself so I'm going to continue and see what happens. As long as my hair doesn't tangle because the last time I tried this I got into a terrible mess with tangling. :nono:
How are you wearing your hair?

I'm a heavy shedder. I can go without using a comb but my routine may vary a bit depending on how I'm wearing my hair. If I'm wearing my hair out but putting it up at night I remove the shed hairs with my fingers when I'm putting it up. If I'm not putting it up then after w or 3 days I make sure I get the shed hairs out.

You say your hair tangles it sounds like you might just need to remove the shed hairs with your fingers sometime during the week.

Evolving78

How many of you guys are able to not comb your hair until wash day?

I am attempting this again, but I always have the negative mindset that I can't do it. :ohwell:. However I haven't used the comb all this week and I have managed to look quite presentable and my hair has been fairly easy to work with. It's easy enough to do when the hair is moisturised and behaving itself so I'm going to continue and see what happens. As long as my hair doesn't tangle because the last time I tried this I got into a terrible mess with tangling. :nono:
I agree with FaithVA. I don't comb my hair, but I will remove shed hairs daily with my hands, even if I wear my hair curly. Or if I don't, I have to get some oil and finger detangle maybe comb before I wash my hair. But my hair is fine and I can't run a comb through it daily, relaxed or natural. I'm not a unicorn where I don't get breakage, but that daily combing will cause me harm in the long run.
And that's something since I wash my hair more that a lot of other people! lol I use the comb on wash days.

LushLox

@faithVA and @shortdub78

Thank you ladies, I can always rely on you guys for some helpful advice. :yep:

If I'm being honest the tangling that I experienced before was out of, I won't say laziness, but at that point my hair wasn't that much of a priority, I didn't comb until wash day but I wasn't moisturising as much as I needed to and I certainly wasn't finger detangling so of course I was asking for knot city and I got it.

I'm really committed to doing this properly this time. And with the styles I wear (loose side or top bun) it's easy enough to do. So I'm going to section off my hair when I get in from work, finger comb then pin curl.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
It seems the longer I go without straightening my hair, the less inclined I am to want to do it. I'm going to try to keep these mini braids in for another week and then start preparing to do a color and rollerset.

I've also decided to go back to using oil. I think my hair did okay without it due to the summer humidity. But now that's not the case and I'll be wearing wigs during the colder months, I think I'm going to need to L.O.C.

NatrulyMe

I am in...

What length are you now?
In my natural state, I am reaching my earlobes and neck length. Blown out, I am at shoulder length (maybe more because the last time I blown out my hair was in Jan. of 2017).
Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
Natural
What's your regimen?

Regimen:

Daily

· Aloe Vera & Coconut Water Spritz (or use every other day)

Weekly

· Cleanse (moisturizing shampoo & conditioner)

· Leave-in conditioner

· Seal

· Deep Condition (moisture conditioning)

Every 2 Weeks

· Tea Rinse

Once Monthly

· Pre-poo

· Clarify (Clay)

· Protein Treatment

· ACV/Water Rinse (or when needed)

Products

Cleanser: Renpure, Aussie, Aztec Bentonite Clay & ACV Rinse

Conditioner (leave-in): Leave-in Cantu Mist, MopTop, KCKT

Conditioner (Not A leave-in): Alberto VO5 Milk S&C, Aussie & Renpure

Moisturizer: Aloe Vera Juice/Coconut Water Spritz & Chamomile/Peppermint Tea Rinses

Styler: Eden BodyWorks, Cantu Coconut, As I Am Jelly, Eco Styler Gel & Beautiful Texture Custard & KCCC

Sealant: JBCO, Castor, Avocado, Sunflower, Olive & Coconut oils

Protein Treatment: GreenBeauty Real Protein Treatment (Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein)

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL?
I will try not to be lazy and continue with my regimen.
Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns.
Presently, my crown area is 11 inches, front (band area) is 10 inches, left/right front is 9 inches and left/right back is 8 inches.
What's your goal month if any?
I would like to grow at least 3 or more inches by ending of March in 2018.

Last edited:

NatrulyMe

Starting pics:

NatrulyMe

I know we just only recently "met" in the wash and go thread, but in my imagination you are my cousin 'cause you look like you would be so good a person to chill with. Lovely hair. Tis all.

Aww, thanks sis.:love4:
Yep, I called you my sister! :tongue: You ladies have shown me so much welcoming since coming to this website (although I've been here on this forum/website only for a brief time). I appreciate you all kindness. And, yes... I am a good person. Hugs.:grouphug:

Again, thank you. :kiss:

LushLox

How are we doing ladies?

I just did a very light moisturise and seal and put my hair in two plaits and pinned it up in my scarf. I'll be doing a caruso set in the morning before work; I've not used those in ages.

I have been successful in only combing my hair on wash day, and only then when it's drenched in conditioner, in the end it has been very easy for me. It's all about changing my learned behaviour which I'm coming to grips with finally.

Last edited:

Evolving78

How are we doing ladies?

I just did a very light moisturise and seal and put my hair in two plaits and pinned it up in my scarf. I'll be doing a caruso set in the morning before work; I've not used those in ages.

I have been successful in only combing my hair on wash day, and only then when it's drenched in conditioner, in the end it has been very easy for me. It's all about changing my learned behaviour which I'm coming to grips with finally.
I’m with you. I pinned my hair up and taking it easy. I lightly moisturized my hair too.

faithVA

Nothing much going on here. I straightened on Friday to try out my new ION Straightening Brush and to do a search and destroy. This morning I used Argan Oil One & Only on my ends. I moisturized with TGIN Daily Moisturizer and then pulled it back in a banana clip bun. It is totally frizzy now but I'm not going anywhere. Tonight I will twist it up with TGIN twist cream and leave it alone until the weekend. Will probably oil my scalp as well.

Evolving78

How is your hair feeling, is it better? Is the coated feeling gone now?
Yes! It feels so much better! I used design essential oat protein shampoo to clarify, then used Naked shampoo to add moisture. I deep conditioned with Naked by Essations conditioner for 10-15 mins under the dryer. I detangled with their leave-in spray, then applied Aphogee green tea spray. I blew my hair on warm to lock in the Aphogee, then blew my hair on cool. I didn’t use any combs or brushes during the drying process. I used my with growth oil on my scalp too. After my hair was dry, I pinned it up and put my scarf on. I moisturized and sealed this morning.
This will be my routine. I have a bunch of scarves, so I don’t have to wear my hair out.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I've been doing okay. Took my mini braids out and did my color. I used a lighter color which I think works better for my skin tone. I'm in medium sized twist right now.

Will probably do a length check this weekend. I know I won't make APL until summer 2018 at the earliest.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I wish I was better with getting my hair more flat when I flat iron. My hair looks the same length as last time, just more puffy.

Even if my hair was more flat, I know I have about 4 inches until APL.

*I've tried 3 times to upload my pics but there is error message. Hopefully I can get them up by the end of next week.

SAPNK

*I've tried 3 times to upload my pics but there is error message. Hopefully I can get them up by the end of next week.

I was getting the same error message so I had to copy and paste my pics directly into my post. But I had to paste them into Microsoft Word first, then copy and paste them into the post from there. If I tried to paste from the pic on my computer, it wouldn't work.
If you're using your phone, I'm not sure if it'll work.

DST1913

I subscribed to this thread but stopped getting notifications for some reason. I was like dag no one has posted in here for a very long time.

I'm so through with my hair. It doesn't seem to be growing anymore and transitioning sux monkey balls. Today Im pissed because I go to the Dominican salon to get a wash and set I haven't had anyone else wash my hair in almost 2 years.

1. My hair was in 4 sections. She tells me she can't wash my hair in sections. That should have been flag #1. My transitioning hair tangles when washed together. She says I do natural hair everyday trust me.

2. She puts in conditioner and takes the detangling comb through my hair from root to tip:eek:. I could hear the hair pulling so I tell her to stop. She sux her teeth and shows me the comb and says see no hair came out.

3. She sits me in her chair and I look in the mirror. No hair came out in the comb cuz there are like 5 huge knots in my hair :cry3:I show her and she just pulls them out with her hand!!! I'm like wtf??? I should have gotten up right then and there.

4. She pulls out the blow dryer and I say wait you aren't going to roller set it? You just going to blow my natural hair bone straight while its wet? She actually said "what difference does it make? ok I will roll it but doesnt matter. I said that is way too much heat on wet hair. She says wow you are so picky about your hair.

5. While rolling it she shows me the straight ends and says your hair is already damaged. Look at the ends. It's straight from flat ironing. I'm like huh? I don't flat iron my hair. It's straight because that part of my hair is still relaxed!

I am making a note to never EVER come here again. Her hair looks chopped and screwed. Never let someone with horrible hair do your hair. I want to cry.

Evolving78

@DST1913
Oh no! Don’t cry! I’m so sorry that happened to you! It will be ok. Just trim and go into repair mode. This is exactly why I’m not going to the salon with 4 months worth of new growth. I already know how it will go down, since I had my own experience earlier this year.