Are Leave-in's Really Necessary.......

Mazza64

Thank you I will give it a try

For me, it's necessary. Thin products like lotions do nothing for my hair. My hair prefers thicker, creamier products.[/QUOT
No not really necessary, they do not appear to help with dryness, but I like them for slip. My preferred method is a homemade rinse with marshmallow, slippery elm, horsetail and green tea. If I do use leave in it typically is Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls and I use about 25% leave in to 75% water. One secret I did discover is I cannot have glycerin in my leave in because it almost always causes dryness.

Just a thought if you want something heavy have you tried QB amala and olive heavy cream as a leave in?

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
I used to use this back in the day, then it was off the shelves for a while. It came back repackaged but it didn't feel the same on my hair so I stopped using it completely and after a series of trial and error settled with elasta qp. It was truly a hg item for me. I'll take notice of it now and try it again thx.

I tried to find the Elasta QP online but only saw the silk gel, which I used to use. It's hard to find in the bss. Do you have a link for the one you use? Someone else online was discussing it and compared the ingredients and assured that it is the same (dunno if she was a stylist). I find that products tend to change every 2-5 years, esp. relaxers. Something is off about a lot of products. Then again, our bodies change as well and the same products no longer serve us. They surely keep us buying stuff, don't they? SMH.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giovanni is a good conditioner that can be left in. Smooth as Silk, even the Tea Tree one.

LiftedUp

I tried to find the Elasta QP online but only saw the silk gel, which I used to use. It's hard to find in the bss. Do you have a link for the one you use? Someone else online was discussing it and compared the ingredients and assured that it is the same (dunno if she was a stylist). I find that products tend to change every 2-5 years, esp. relaxers. Something is off about a lot of products. Then again, our bodies change as well and the same products no longer serve us. They surely keep us buying stuff, don't they? SMH.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giovanni is a good conditioner that can be left in. Smooth as Silk, even the Tea Tree one.

Yes, that's probably it! I've been using this for two years so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Elasta-Leave-...r=1-1&keywords=elasta+qp+leave+in+conditioner

http://www.amazon.com/Elasta-Butter...r=1-2&keywords=elasta+qp+leave+in+conditioner

I use the liquid if I want to rollerset and the one in the jar (consistency of a moisturizer) if i want to air dry.

HaveSomeWine

I thought leave in conditioners were moisturizers. Well, I use a leave in conditioner to Moisturize my hair. It's the Rusk Sensiries Smoother Leave in Conditioner.

ms.blue

I use leave ins to help the moisturizers I use to keep my hair moisturized. I can't just use a leave in by itself or my hair will act like I did absolutely nothing.

SmilingElephant

I definitely have to have a leave in. Sometimes I will use a thick rinse out conditioner as my leave in and seal it in with oil another trick I do is if my hair is REALLY dry...I cowash, put my oil on first after rinsing and THEN my leave in. Instead of oil after the leave in. I don't know why...but it works better for me.

Fine 4s

Leave in work best for me meaning it keeps my hair moist for longer when I follow the LOC system.
Liquid, oil and cream. Right now my liquid is just water, any oil and then Cantu. But what really helps is the shea butter I use after. In my first round of HHJ, I just used shea butter after washing and then an oil and it was fine too. Leave-ins just help preserve the moisture making the hair more pliable to prevent breakage.

julzinha

I thought leave in conditioners were moisturizers. Well, I use a leave in conditioner to Moisturize my hair. It's the Rusk Sensiries Smoother Leave in Conditioner.
I think anything water based moisturizes the hair. I think the difference between a leave in and a moisturizer, is that a leave in is anywhere from the consistency of water to lotion whereas a moisturizer is usually a cream

Lady S

Camille Rose has a cream leave in & a coconut water leave in that's slightly thick. A heavier leave-in or just a creamy moisturizer/butter may work a little bit better. But I don't necessarily believe that every product is necessary for everyone all the time.

snookes

I ask because the ones I have tried all seem to be abit light weight. Maybe I am not sure of there true purpose
Have you tried mixing your shea butter mix with it if you have some?

That's what I do with Giovanni weight less leave in conditioner or any other leave in conditioner for that matter lol ;)

healthyhair2

Heyal YEAH!!! Leave-ins are necessary for my 4F dry ass, porous hair!!! As a matter of fact I'm:cowgirl: to buy some more right now!

**When I re-do my Gina Curl though, I don't need it as much. I can dampen my hair, moisturize and go.**

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Some leave-ins are just topical to make your hair feel good. But there are some that are moisturizing like Kinky Curly Knot Today. You have to check the ingredients. Silicones coat and don't allow moisture in; while glycerin absorb moisture (unfortunately, from your hair if the air is too dry).

According to the CG method, I have fractals. I have tight kinky-curly hair and need all the moisture I can get, so a moisturizing leave-in or thinned-out moisturizing conditioner are a necessity for me.

ResultsMayVary

I have gone without a leave in numerous times, but I am finding it may be necessary for my high porosity hair (if just for closing my cuticle). What matters most in the end is how well I seal in the leave in or moisturizer before going forward.

nyeredzi

I don't always use one, but they leave the hair softer. I won't use one if I blow dry or straighten because they cause reversion. I just use oil in those cases. Even not in those cases, more creamy and less watery leave ins are better to prevent tangling.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Leave ins don't moisturize my low porosity hair (unless steamed in). They just make my hair feel softer and more flexible when I'm applying my styler. Once my hair dries, the results are the same with or without using a leave in. In fact, if my leave is a cream or lotion I'm almost guaranteed to experience flaking after using gel.

Right now, I'm using a liquid leave in (squirt of conditioner in spray bottle of water). It helps give my coarse hair a little flexibility without causing flakes or white product balls.

I prefer using a liquid leave in for its superficial benefits even though I know it isn't truly moisturizing my hair. So long as my hair has been DCed, moisture loss isn't a problem for me and leave ins aren't required.

GGsKin

With my natural hair, I've used a leave-in (Kinky Curly Knot Today) and also enjoyed many a wash and go without one. I don't think they are necessary as my hair has actually felt softer without use. I will say at the time I was using a leave-in, I was also co-washing with the same product and that caused a lot of build up for my hair.

Anaisin

Some leave-ins are just topical to make your hair feel good. But there are some that are moisturizing like Kinky Curly Knot Today. You have to check the ingredients. Silicones coat and don't allow moisture in; while glycerin absorb moisture (unfortunately, from your hair if the air is too dry).

According to the CG method, I have fractals. I have tight kinky-curly hair and need all the moisture I can get, so a moisturizing leave-in or thinned-out moisturizing conditioner are a necessity for me.

Interesting. KCKT actually didn't moisturize my hair at all. It was decent for detangling though

blackeyes31626

not for me
I moisturised my hair with MHC type 3 hair cream and thier Sophia grease and my hair is fine.

I used to moisturize my hair with WOC activator spray and olive oil. I didn't even own a leave in and my hair was soft and sheeny.