Are you at peace with your shrinkage?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Honestly, no. Shrinkage is not cool to me. shrinkage = tangles & knots (esp. SSKs). Plus I like to see the actual length of my hair.

Stormy

I actually like my shrinkage for the fact that there is a pleasant shock factor for myself and for others when i do straighten my hair.

My 10 year old neice once said my hair was 'magical' because she thought it grew from jaw length to below shoulder overnight!!!

Eta - why do i keep saying jaw length - heck i have ear length shrinkage - lol.

Same here! And when my twa grows out I'm going to love the shrinkage.

mariofmagdal

The only time i can see any length is by wearing my banded pony.......it shrinks too!
i never straighten.
My DD hates it, but we embrace it.

Etherealsmile

Not at all, helll gimme your 50% shrinkage OP!:lol: I'll take that any day! Mine is more in the 90's range:nono:. I am NOT at peace with it. I blow dried my hair this past week using the tension method and I swore I saw jaws hitting the floor when most of my length was revealed:lol:.

Shrinkage amazes me but I am not happy with it. I'd rather see my full length to be honest:yep:

ETA just look at the difference y'all. This was back in March, unfortunately i maintain the same level of shrinkage despite my increased length:lol:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=12988411&postcount=292

Last edited:

Nonie

:rofl: LilMissSunshine5 ^^ :lachen:

Etherealsmile has almost the same shrinkage I have:

I guess another thing that makes me like shrinkage is that I don't like product on my neck or face or clothes. So when I wear my hair out, which is when I apply S Curl, I just love that it is up and away from me ie off my neck.

My hair when completely wet shrinks up to a compact mass:

So none of that "moisture" gets on me. When wearing twists and braids, it is a little more stretched but then I don't use product so again, clean skin and clothes. :look:

Nonie

I really don't care because I never let my hair shrink up

Whatchu talmbout -PYT? Your avi doesn't look like your hair is fully stretched. Unless you mean you just don't let it shrink up to then max. Then I get that. I just thought that OP was asking about any shrinkage even partial. :look:

LovelyNaps26

i'm getting there. at BSL i can my hair frames my face is a full SL braid out by day 2 post wash. i think i'll have to be full MBL before fully at peace.

-PYT

Nonie my avi is a twist out. I bet if I let it shrink up to the max then I'd have to shave it all off cuz it'd be so tangly lol. I'm not that obsessed with length so I'm okay if it draws up a little :)

mscocoface

This is what I think of my shrinkage. Something my DH says this when things don't go as planned or hoped.

If you don't like it you are going to LIKE NOT liking it! (Sometimes my DH and my shrinkage drives me nuts!)

SEMO

I had to make peace with my shrinkage a long time ago. :yep:

I'm waist length but my hair shrinks to above shoulder length. :spinning: I now consider shrinkage a protective style for me since it keep my hair off my shoulders. :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I usually like my hair in its shrunken state.the compactness i get from max shrinkage is what i prefer when wearin it in a natural style. I also do not like my product filled hair touching me. If i want to see and feel length i straighten my hair or will blowdry before styling. Shrinkage would irritate me if i only wore my hair in its natural state.

Afrobuttafly

Um..somewhat because I can just stretch my hair out when I'm tired of the shrunken look. But I do wish my hair didn't shrink as much as it does. But I just accept that as part of what MY natural hair will be like. The longer it gets I'm hoping the weight of my hair will eventually lessen the shrinkage. SL shrinkage would be ok with me.

lesedi

All is well with me
My regimen is so easy with my daily wash n go's so I definitely am embracing the shrinkage. In fact, I am so lazy to wear my hair stretched because of the admin involved. I remember as a child I had an ear length fro while wet and a MBL blowout (would have been WSL if my mother knew what a flat iron was lol)

TootiePie

Once I have full SL shrinkage, it wont bother me... i want huge curly hair. I have about 50% shrinkage; I am three inches from BSL in the back and my hair shrinks to the bottom of my neck. Actually I have more shrinkage on the sides right above my ears where my tiniest 4a coils are. Those sections shrink about 60-70%... blah. I always have to blow them out to give my WNG a better shape. I am counting on the wieght of my hair to decrease the shrinkage in those sections. It has already decreased in my bangs, and now I have to scrunch them to get my curls :-/

candy626

For the most part I am not at peace with shrinkage. When straight my hair is below the shoulder blades but when curly right at the shoulders. I don't mind it when I am styling my curly 3c/4a hair in an updo, but when I wear it down, it does drive me crazy. It's probably why I end up resorting to heat styling because though I love my curls..short, big hair does not compliment my face shape in my opinion. I think it makes me look heavy when I am far from it.

I am still working on finding a technique/styling product that will help reduce this (other than massive amounts of gel and hair spray), so I will wear my hair in its natural state more often.

Ronnieaj

My hair is close to BSB straight but shrinks to ear length curly. It marvels me. My hair is easily 3-4 inches longer than this time last year, yet curls to the same length and makes it look as though my hair doesn't grow. I find it fascinating, and pretty cool to boot :yep:. I can't wear a WNG anymore as a result, but I do shrunken twists, which end up being NL, or buns, for which my hair has to be stretched out. Personally, I love it :grin:. It allows me a range of styling options that I wouldn't otherwise have, and I don't even have to do anything to accomplish it.

ladykpnyc

I've just gotten used to it. It's not that big of a deal anymore b/c I expect it and learned how to work around it when I want more length :look:

BTW: My hair is bsl but it shrinks to just above my shoulders...sometimes it's shrinks so much that it's nearly ear length.

Last edited:

CrissieD

Nope. I HATE it. My BSL hair looks shoulder length :-(

Sent from my Super Kewl EVO... Please blame the phone for the typos

PinkGirlFluff

I hate detangling after I have done a WNG without stretching. When my hair was shorter I didn't understand why people were hating on the WNG but now that it's getting longer I loathe a detangle session after my hair has not be stretched. Love the fro, hate the aftermath. I'm not ashamed of it anymore. It's my dirty little secret.

I AM...

HONEY I cannot stand my shrinkage. It is a whole mess and tough as Chuck Norris. I love to pull my hair out with the blowdryer just at the roots. Someone HELP!!!

Fab_Nikki

I am getting to the point where I'm at peace with it. I know I have hang time and can achieve it with the right products. On days where shrinkage wins, I don't worry about it. Back in the day (see siggy) I didn't deal with it at all. LOL I haven't straightened my hair since my BC and I have no plans to.