Are you wearing anything in your hair this summer?

pookeylou

I have gone silk flowers CRAZY!!!! I have a ton of them laying around (for some reason...probably one of my many craft projects I was going to start and didnt get to it...).

I have been putting them in my headband. So far I have gotten a lot of comments like:

"cute"
"Your wearing it on the wrong side!" -my sister...she takes a trip to Hawaii ONE time and now she is an expert. Evidently if you wear a flower on the right you are "taken"...a flower on the left...you are "available". I'm definitely TAKEN...but I dont think the men in my area would have figured out the flower rule enough to notice any way!

I wore a flower in my hair to a wedding and people kept saying "You remind me of Billie Holiday!"
I did get one negative comment...

I wore an orchid in my hair to worship on Sunday and a sister said, "Ooooh beautiful flower! Isnt amazing how a little decoration can cover a lot of sins!?"
She doesnt like natural hair.

I just smiled and shook my head.

I usually dont do too many things that draw attention to myself...but I have been feeling wonderfully confident in the past months since my BC...so I am shocked that I am brave enough to wear a bright daisy in my hair to WORK!

But it makes me smile and it makes people smile when they see it.

Are you branching out and adding something to your lovely locs this summer?

MissMarie23

I've been thinking about getting some headbands or something, since I've been bunned up for a while.

Where do you get your flowers from? A craft store, or somewhere else? The flowers sound cute

bollyhair

I wore my hair in a bun the other day to work and added a silk flower to my hair (I had hot-glued a really pretty silk flower to a hair (bobby)pin). I got alot of compliments too. I had slicked my hair back and did a low bun so I put the flower pin at the top of the bun, so the flower was not the typical "behind the ear" flower. I work in a professional atmoosphere and the flower gave me a really tropical feel to the plain black dress that I had on.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Glad you're feeling so confident. But um, [ QUOTE ]
"Ooooh beautiful flower! Isnt amazing how a little decoration can cover a lot of sins!?"

[/ QUOTE ] That was just evil.
You should've responded: "Pity. All the adornment in the world can't camouflage the ugliness in your back-handed compliment"

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:
I've been thinking about getting some headbands or something, since I've been bunned up for a while.

Where do you get your flowers from? A craft store, or somewhere else? The flowers sound cute

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to "DEALS" nothing in there over a dollar! I found gorgeous orchids, hydrangeas, daisies and roses that look WONDERFUL! Micheals...the craft store is a good place...but much more expensive.

J

JenniferMD

Pookeylou, those flowers you make are so cute on you! I don't think I'll be wearing anything in my hair because I don't think it'll look right on me.

Irresistible

Re: Are you wearing anything in your hair this sum

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I have gone silk flowers CRAZY!!!! I have a ton of them laying around (for some reason...probably one of my many craft projects I was going to start and didnt get to it...).

I have been putting them in my headband. So far I have gotten a lot of comments like:

"cute"
"Your wearing it on the wrong side!" -my sister...she takes a trip to Hawaii ONE time and now she is an expert. Evidently if you wear a flower on the right you are "taken"...a flower on the left...you are "available". I'm definitely TAKEN...but I dont think the men in my area would have figured out the flower rule enough to notice any way!

I wore a flower in my hair to a wedding and people kept saying "You remind me of Billie Holiday!"
I did get one negative comment...

I wore an orchid in my hair to worship on Sunday and a sister said, "Ooooh beautiful flower! Isnt amazing how a little decoration can cover a lot of sins!?"

I just smiled and shook my head.

I usually dont do too many things that draw attention to myself...but I have been feeling wonderfully confident in the past months since my BC...so I am shocked that I am brave enough to wear a bright daisy in my hair to WORK!

But it makes me smile and it makes people smile when they see it.

Are you branching out and adding something to your lovely locs this summer?

[/ QUOTE ]
at the sister at church...dang whats wrong with folks these days i swear?

im going to be experimenting with some braided styles with ribbons suggested to me by deeplyrooted and another member on her group....uhh and we shall see how it goes...if it works the style will be renamed and forever dedicated to her and the other member, by me

bollyhair

[ QUOTE ]
Poetess232 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think that the DOLLAR STORE has great silk flowers, especially for crafting w/ (not necessarily decorating the house w/). You have to have a wire-cutter or pliers to cut the stems off, but girl, get you some fake flowers, a hot-glue gun and some TARGET $2.99 FLIP_FLOPS and you will be in CRAFTING HEAVEN!
Last summer I made the cutest flip-flops w/ silk flowers and all kinds of hair pins and barettes and it COST ME PRACICALLY NOTHING!

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
Glad you're feeling so confident. But um, [ QUOTE ]
"Ooooh beautiful flower! Isnt amazing how a little decoration can cover a lot of sins!?"

[/ QUOTE ] That was just evil.
You should've responded: "Pity. All the adornment in the world can't camouflage the ugliness in your back-handed compliment"

[/ QUOTE ]

Girllll...I dont watch MTV regularly...but the one time I went past...i saw Jay-Z's video....I learned a new phrase:
Brush dem haters OFF!!!

She did not kill my joy! I bet you next week...she will be wearing a flower in her lapel!
Kindness kills.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
bollyhair said:
I wore my hair in a bun the other day to work and added a silk flower to my hair (I had hot-glued a really pretty silk flower to a hair (bobby)pin). I got alot of compliments too. I had slicked my hair back and did a low bun so I put the flower pin at the top of the bun, so the flower was not the typical "behind the ear" flower. I work in a professional atmoosphere and the flower gave me a really tropical feel to the plain black dress that I had on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...you just taught me something there! I have been sewing these flowers on with a needle and thread...I FORGOT I HAVE A HOT GLUE GUN!!!!

Oh...ya'll wont see me for a while...I have some work to do!!!

THANK YOU FOR A GREAT IDEA!!!!

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Pookeylou, those flowers you make are so cute on you! I don't think I'll be wearing anything in my hair because I don't think it'll look right on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try it...at least at home in the mirror. I love your sig and I can TOTALLY a flower by your ear in that style. I think a flower is going to do nothing but make your gorgeous face even more stunning.

I hope you do test it out...I bet you will get nothing but smiles.

Let me know if you do!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
She did not kill my joy! I bet you next week...she will be wearing a flower in her lapel!
Kindness kills.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um....Y'all take communion? 'Cause so does arsenic...only quicker.

Teasing teasing teasing. You have a good attitude. I'm just being silly

sengschick

The Bun Master
Okay, the church sister was wrong for the "multitude of sins" comment.

I wear real flowers all the time in the summer for special occassion or if I just want to extra cute for the mister. They bring that bun he's been looking @ for the last 365 days to life!!!

I do plan to get a few fakes to perk me up for work. I couldn't get that flower to hold all the stress my big hair put on the Pookey Puff Holder, so I'm going to have to find some other way to get them to stay in place. Girl, that flower flew across the room when I released it. My, oh my!
It was like a sling shot!!

bollyhair

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I've seen your photo album and don't you wear your hair in updo styles alot? A flower would look very nice in your hair. Just in case your still skeptical, just find a picture of LAILA ALI and then "draw" a flower in her hair w/ some markers and,....WALLAH! Since you look just like her, now you know how the flower thing would look!

pookeylou

Re: Are you wearing anything in your hair this sum

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:

im going to be experimenting with some braided styles with ribbons suggested to me by deeplyrooted and another member on her group....uhh and we shall see how it goes...if it works the style will be renamed and forever dedicated to her and the other member, by me

[/ QUOTE ]

You have got to let us know when the new styles are up! I am all for creating your own new thang.

I made my Pookie Puff Holder and I LOVE it!!!

I wanna see that hair of your with the ribbon. I am trying to imagine it. Are you going to use the ribbon like another loc of hair?

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try it...at least at home in the mirror. I love your sig and I can TOTALLY a flower by your ear in that style. I think a flower is going to do nothing but make your gorgeous face even more stunning.

Let me know if you do!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks pookeylou, I just might try that bobby pin and hot glue idea and post a little something in my photo album for you.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Kindness kills.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um....Y'all take communion? 'Cause so does arsenic...only quicker.

Teasing teasing teasing. You have a good attitude. I'm just being silly

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT...made me spit my coke on the screen! That was FUNNY! You aint right...but that was funny.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
Okay, the church sister was wrong for the "multitude of sins" comment.

I wear real flowers all the time in the summer for special occassion or if I just want to extra cute for the mister. They bring that bun he's been looking @ for the last 365 days to life!!!

I do plan to get a few fakes to perk me up for work. I couldn't get that flower to hold all the stress my big hair put on the Pookey Puff Holder, so I'm going to have to find some other way to get them to stay in place. Girl, that flower flew across the room when I released it. My, oh my!
It was like a sling shot!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...ya'll gon have to QUIT! I am snortin and chokin over here! I think I am going to hot glue my flower to the big button on my puff holder. That should make it stay...I have to make sure I glue it good...so I dont put anybody's eye OUT! I am glad you tried the puff holder too!

SherryLove

Pookeylou -- you are very creative with your hair. The flowers sound real cute....As for me, I am not sure since I am transitioning......I probably will not be manipulating my hair too much.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

[/ QUOTE ] lmao.
i wish someone would have said that to me.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know if you do!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks pookeylou, I just might try that bobby pin and hot glue idea and post a little something in my photo album for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! I cannot wait to see it!

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
Pookeylou -- you are very creative with your hair. The flowers sound real cute....As for me, I am not sure since I am transitioning......I probably will not be manipulating my hair too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you plan to wear it through transition? There are some excellent transition styles in "Natural Hair/Natural Woman" by Tekeyah Crystal Kemah. Even if you wear it braided or in a bun...a great scarf or wrap will help you get through those days when you dont want to look at your hair. I say still try the flower...behind the ear...whoooh...I think it will set it OFF!

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you plan to wear it through transition? There are some excellent transition styles in "Natural Hair/Natural Woman" by Tekeyah Crystal Kemah. Even if you wear it braided or in a bun...a great scarf or wrap will help you get through those days when you dont want to look at your hair. I say still try the flower...behind the ear...whoooh...I think it will set it OFF!

[/ QUOTE ]

PL --- is that the chick from "IN LIVING COLOR"????? If so, her hair is definitely beautiful.....Where can I buy the book????? Do Tell...you are probably right about the flower thing. I am definitely going to become more creative with my hair, especially my natural hair...I am going to check out some nice head wraps too.....

B

Bublnbrnsuga

pookeypoo-about that comment that chick made at church,I think your quote in your sig sums her up.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

[/ QUOTE ] lmao.
i wish someone would have said that to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya'll cant be scrappin up in chyuch! (that's how my daddy says it)...

My husband is taking me away for our anniversay. So I know we plan to be out for dinner. I am going to try and find a burgandy rose to match my outfit for the night....sexy, sexy...ssssssssssseexxy!

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
pookeypoo-about that comment that chick made at church,I think your quote in your sig sums her up.

[/ QUOTE ]

PREEEEAAAAACHHH! Can the congregation say AMEN!

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PL --- is that the chick from "IN LIVING COLOR"????? If so, her hair is definitely beautiful.....Where can I buy the book????? Do Tell...you are probably right about the flower thing. I am definitely going to become more creative with my hair, especially my natural hair...I am going to check out some nice head wraps too.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link to her site:

Tkeyah Kemah

It wont let me copy a pic of the book...shoot!

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link to her site:

Tkeyah Kemah

It wont let me copy a pic of the book...shoot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Girl.....

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a flower would look really pretty in your hair, Jennifer.
Maybe in one of your updos or something.