at what point would you SAY SOMEONE HAS LONG HAIR?

What do you consider to be "officially" LONG hair? (hair/ends are 100% healthy)

• Shoulder Length

Votes: 44 5.9%
  • Arm Pit Length

Votes: 311 41.7%
  • Bra Strap Length

Votes: 324 43.5%
  • Mid Back Length

Votes: 66 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kurlybella

i've noticed that since it's not very common...but slowly becoming a bit common...to see a black women with very long natural extensions free hair, that often times, some women who see another women with healthy shoulder length hair will say that woman has long hair.

i disagree. :look:

imo, i think that a little past arm pit in front and back would be "long" hair -- more like med-long.

shoulder length is short-med.

bra strap+ is long.

but if i had to pick one "official long mark" i'd say right past arm pit length.

but it's all a matter of personal opinion, so, what about you?

what do you consider long? what's your official mark?

Last edited:

Ediese

i've noticed that since it's not very common...but slowly becoming a bit common...to see a black women with very long natural extensions free hair, that often times, some women who see another women with healthy shoulder length hair will say that woman has long hair.

imo, i think that a little past arm pit in front and back would be "long" hair -- more like med-long.

bra strap+ is long.

but if i had to pick one "official long mark" i'd say right past arm pit length.

I think you'd consider my hair long then..I like that. :yep: I happen to agree with you too. I think BSL is the official starting length for long hair.

MizAvalon

MBL and longer. Anything shorter than that is medium or short to me.

Also, I am in no way influenced by hair boards regarding that. I have never thought APL was long on any race of woman on hair boards or in real life.

Thann

I voted APL, but I actually think anything past full, healthy SL hair is pretty long.

The people who I see on a daily basis that I consider to have long hair are somewhere between SL and APL.

*Muffin*

Usually when I see people with hair around APL I think they have long hair, especially if it's even and all their hair hits APL.

Xavier

I always considered BSL to be long. I just reached the top of BSL and I am now hearing family and friends constantly reminding me how long my hair is. It's kinda weird because I am now in denial. When I look at my hair I don't think it is long at all. I will claim that I have long hair when I reach MBL.

nomoweavesfome

ok - I may get stoned for this.

But with all of the challenges we face with our hair between relaxing, blowfrying, dying, and flat ironing all in one day( just kiddin), reaching anything below the shoulder is a freaking milestone.

with other races of women when I see armpit, I may not think her hair is long because it is so common to see women of other races with longer hair. Although with our hair it is becoming more common to see longer lengths after years of the halle berry phase. It's like:

white woman: armpit- ok she may have cut it.
black woman armpit- ok she grew it.

ya know what i mean? I mean it's all perspective.

not everyday you see an african american woman with armpit hair and you think she cut it from waistlength.

In my opinion armpit is considered long for our hair.

By the way I have heard many times that my hair was long and it's not quite armpit yet.

ok stone me. lol

ekomba

bra strap+ is long.

i agree. lol in my country my friends consider my hair long!!!!! i know we ll start talking at bra strap that s long in my book lol brastrap and below.... midback VERY LONG waist=dream come true POCAHONTAS STYLE and lets not go further shall we:rolleyes::rolleyes: mmmmmm hip length on someone else than me it s fine. YEP brastrap=beginning of long

SilentRuby

Bra-strap :yep:

It was so funny the other day when my SO was telling me about this lady at his job. He said she kept making references about how long her hair was but he had this face while saying it >>>:perplexed

I was like well how long IS her hair (thinking it's full APL or longer). He says it was barely touching her shoulders and she kept swinging it around :lachen:

So funny that he even knows the difference.

Geminigirl

I voted BSL although some ladies with APL hair looks long too. I guess it kinda depends on the length of the neck.:lachen:

sexyeyes3616

But with all of the challenges we face with our hair between relaxing, blowfrying, dying, and flat ironing all in one day( just kiddin), reaching anything below the shoulder is a freaking milestone.

with other races of women when I see armpit, I may not think her hair is long because it is so common to see women of other races with longer hair. Although with our hair it is becoming more common to see longer lengths after years of the halle berry phase. It's like:

not everyday you see an african american woman with armpit hair and you think she cut it from waistlength.

By the way I have heard many times that my hair was long and it's not quite armpit yet.

ok stone me. lol

This is very true. Most blk women i see in my area have shoulder length and neck length hair.

msa

ok stone me. lol

As much as I hate to qualify things, I definitely agree. APL is long to me because in real life I know like one black girl with APL hair. When I look at my sisters (who are white) APL on them is just normal, not long and not short, and usually they've cut it to make it that way.

When I get to full APL (hopefully in a year) I will consider my hair long and nobody will be able to tell me differently :yep:

Pam Pam

Healthy long APL is long to me. I agree with most of the APL comments. I think what is more shocking to me is that adults have the patience to allow their hair to grow to APL and beyond. As an adult and before I joined this board, I was always to impatient to let my grow to APL. I hate I had to cut it because I'm sure it would have been close to BSL by now.

GeauXavi

I voted BSL...before I was "influenced" by hairboards, I would have probably said APL.:look:

I Totally Agree....:yep:

edited: I think my hair is short now(siggy) bc I cut it from APL...but ppl IRL still think it's long...i dunno, tomato tom-ah-toe...lol

Last edited:

Platinum

ok stone me. lol

ITA!:yep: I guess I'll get stoned too.:spinning: When I reached full SL a few years ago, friends and family made comments on how long my hair was. But, I didn't think my hair would be considered "long" until I reached APL length.:look:

nichole21

I agree and this is my theory on the bolded part and why it may look like the black woman grew her hair and the white woman cut her hair.

After attending two different schools, both predominately white schools and staring at the back of heads of hair for a couple hours each day... Most of the time (not all of the time) if the white women have APL or shorter hair, its normally a blunt cut or a styled cut. There ends are pretty even and normally the same thickness as the hair from their roots (top). Whilst, many black women, even with long hair, thier ends tend to taper off at the bottom. The thickness is not the same at the ends as the roots. To me this tells me that one has grown (trying to grow) as opposed to hair that is consistently long and has been cut. *disclaimer, this does not apply to ALL people of either race, its just an observation from staring at hair in boring lectures from grad & undergrad years.