at what point would you SAY SOMEONE HAS LONG HAIR?

What do you consider to be "officially" LONG hair? (hair/ends are 100% healthy)

• Shoulder Length

Votes: 44 5.9%
  • Arm Pit Length

Votes: 311 41.7%
  • Bra Strap Length

Votes: 324 43.5%
  • Mid Back Length

Votes: 66 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mistee11

I Totally Agree....:yep:

edited: I think my hair is short now(siggy) bc I cut it from APL...but ppl IRL still think it's long...i dunno, tomato tom-ah-toe...lol

Now see, I look at your hair in your siggy and think... it's long to me (btw it looks very healthy too)! I am currently neck length in the back but i sure would'nt mind achieving the length you have right now! My goal is to have healthy SL bouncin' ain't misbehavin' hair by year end! :grin:

CurliDiva

ok - I may get stoned for this.

But with all of the challenges we face with our hair between relaxing, blowfrying, dying, and flat ironing all in one day( just kiddin), reaching anything below the shoulder is a freaking milestone.

with other races of women when I see armpit, I may not think her hair is long because it is so common to see women of other races with longer hair. Although with our hair it is becoming more common to see longer lengths after years of the halle berry phase. It's like:

white woman: armpit- ok she may have cut it.
black woman armpit- ok she grew it.

ya know what i mean? I mean it's all perspective.

not everyday you see an african american woman with armpit hair and you think she cut it from waistlength.

In my opinion armpit is considered long for our hair.

By the way I have heard many times that my hair was long and it's not quite armpit yet.

ok stone me. lol

In TOTAL agreement!

Don't let these hair boards - in the real world there are still LOTS of tore-up heads of hair walking around! :nono:

ARMPIT (hair firmly laying down back) is LONG to me. Of course I want my hair ultimately longer, but APL is the LONG hair breakpoint for me.

Most black woman get to APL with a dedciated effort on her part to maintain those ends, whereas my "other" friends just take it for granted.

Last edited:

anon123

I agree and this is my theory on the bolded part and why it may look like the black woman grew her hair and the white woman cut her hair.

After attending two different schools, both predominately white schools and staring at the back of heads of hair for a couple hours each day... Most of the time (not all of the time) if the white women have APL or shorter hair, its normally a blunt cut or a styled cut. There ends are pretty even and normally the same thickness as the hair from their roots (top). Whilst, many black women, even with long hair, thier ends tend to taper off at the bottom. The thickness is not the same at the ends as the roots. To me this tells me that one has grown (trying to grow) as opposed to hair that is consistently long and has been cut. *disclaimer, this does not apply to ALL people of either race, its just an observation from staring at hair in boring lectures from grad & undergrad years.

Hmm, that's really interesting. Now you'll have me staring at people's hair even more than I already do!

Once my crown reaches apl, I will consider myself as having long hair. I voted bsl, but since I have layers I guess my mind was in layers mode. For a blunt or less layered cut, I'd say full apl is what I consider long.

fivetimestwo

I say if your hair reaches bra-strap level in the front and the back, it could be considered long. For instance, since my hair grows mullet-style (slow in front, fast in back), I don't feel I have long hair because the hair in the front only reaches my collarbone, which, to me, is still rather short.

Studio_gal

Personally for me - APL. My hair has never -ever been that 'long' once it gets there I'll be a happy woman.

ETA:For someone else I'd also say APL.

tapioca_pudding

IRL - Full SL - APL
LHCF - BSL

Just because APL seems to be the norm+ here. IRL, APL is a big thing to be achieved. Comin from where I'm from, anyway.

I also agree with the 'black long hair' vs. 'white long hair'. :yep:

MiWay

Before I the boards, I would've said APL. Before I got to BSL, I would've said BSL. :lachen: Now, I say MBL.

Last edited:

JustKiya

BSL, definitely. That's when I'm like - ooh, look how long her hair is! Shoulder ain't nothing, to me - I see it all the time IRL. Might be to'up shoulder, but shoulder all the same. APL is getting towards long, and depending on the woman, might look long on her. BSL is long, period, and I don't give passes for race, either. :look:

dicapr

Anything longer than SL-that is when beauticians start trying to charge extra for a press and curl! If I have to pay more to get my hair done because it is "long" I'm going to claim it!

Blessed_Angel

I would say mid-back or BSL depending on how the hair is styled.

My friend is almost BSL, but I think her hair is soo long. I will be happy when my APL hair is atleast mid-back, and the front of my hair touches the crack of my bust line. :yep:

Channie

ok - I may get stoned for this.

But with all of the challenges we face with our hair between relaxing, blowfrying, dying, and flat ironing all in one day( just kiddin), reaching anything below the shoulder is a freaking milestone.

with other races of women when I see armpit, I may not think her hair is long because it is so common to see women of other races with longer hair. Although with our hair it is becoming more common to see longer lengths after years of the halle berry phase. It's like:

white woman: armpit- ok she may have cut it.
black woman armpit- ok she grew it.

ya know what i mean? I mean it's all perspective.

not everyday you see an african american woman with armpit hair and you think she cut it from waistlength.

In my opinion armpit is considered long for our hair.

By the way I have heard many times that my hair was long and it's not quite armpit yet.

ok stone me. lol

I was about to come in here with the same rant! I live in Detroit where they fry their hair cripsy, always getting the new cut, getting that new weave that's too heavy or ripping it out. My cousin relaxes her hair every week cause she loathes her natural hair. It's not unusual here, but the killer part is she can't understand why her nape length hair is wispy & thin and won't grow. :perplexed She wants to know what I'm doing with mine and I just made it back to collarbone after a nice blunt neck length cut. I'd try to help her, but I don't think she'd have the patience. My sister & I, aside from my mother & her sister, are the only women in my family who have had hair longer than shoulder length. Hell, we came out the womb with BAA's, but because of our conformity & misinformation I'm fighting to keep SL and my sister's fighting to get back to collarbone. Anyway, here, they continue to relax and wait forever to wash (my friend hasn't washed her hair this year yet :nono:), basically leaving their hair in someone elses hands. So as a result, we have a lot of "baldheaded, weave-wearing" (as my guy cousin would say) women walking around. Men fawn over a girl with SL hair in my neighborhood. :ohwell: Anything longer and they're :drool:

Last edited:

fluffylocks

IRL - Full SL - APL
LHCF - BSL

Just because APL seems to be the norm+ here. IRL, APL is a big thing to be achieved. Comin from where I'm from, anyway.

I also agree with the 'black long hair' vs. 'white long hair'. :yep:

I'm gonna go with APL, maybe full SL. Most black people think SL is long though. As long as the back is SL.

I agree with the Full SL-APL.

I always wish with these type of threads people would answer their view of long hair for us/black people BEFORE comming to LHCF because we all know that once you know you can acheive more, and your hair grows longer and you see all the long hair of LHCF than your view on whats long is probally going to change.

But for me, In real life and what i see everyday

Full shoulderlength--A good accomplishment, is medium long to long but attainable

APL- Long, she must have pretty good hair practices

BSL-- Amazing

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
BSL on anyone looks long but thick APL looks long to me too. So I guess between APL-BSL is long in my books. On me, for me it's MBL :)

Last edited:

chebaby

bsl is what i think is long. my goal is to hit mbl. but i've always had apl hair and all my life i've been told i have long hair.

tocktick

I voted BSL although some ladies with APL hair looks long too. I guess it kinda depends on the length of the neck.:lachen:

lol co-sign with bold. generally speaking, i think bsl is long. before boards, sl was long on black people to me (sad but true) because it was like a rarity. i realised i have to use the same standard for everyone.