at what point would you SAY SOMEONE HAS LONG HAIR?

What do you consider to be "officially" LONG hair? (hair/ends are 100% healthy)

• Shoulder Length

Votes: 44 5.9%
  • Arm Pit Length

Votes: 311 41.7%
  • Bra Strap Length

Votes: 324 43.5%
  • Mid Back Length

Votes: 66 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nymane

I would say BSL generally, but it depends, because sometimes APL looks MUCH longer on someone with a long neck/torso vs someone who has shorter dimensions with BSL hair

BlkOnyx488

I consider long hair starting at SL, but only if it's all one length
I am SL right now but I a have a lot of layers so I still have short hair:drunk:

BlackMasterPiece

On other women, APL, on me MBL:giggle:

Nah, but I'm not that Hairnorexic, I know my hair is pretty long people tell me like every day, I'm having fun with it, but it is starting to get in the way and caught on things:ohwell: but hey *shrugs*, this is what I wanted.

jamaraa

it also depends on height. Long hair on a tall person is entirely different. Since I'm tall, I know when I see hair that's say, BSL on a woman 5'8+ that's more like waist length on someone 5'4 and under.

For me, what's considered long hair really depends on the person I'm looking at and their height.

If you see a very tall woman w/ long hair, you can bet it's REALLY long on a woman the average height or shorter. Wanakee (5'9-11) is the best example. Her hair would be butt-knee length or so on a woman 5'4 (average height) or shorter.

Lucia

zero-shoulder=short
shoulder-BSL=medium
BSL-WSL long (I don't call it long until you're @ least BSL)
WSL an beyond=very long

Lucia

:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

That's what I saw when I lived in NY, and practically everywhere else I have been in the US. Now, if there is a particular area where the Black women that are going around with BSL are like a dime a dozen and it's not a weave, please point it out to me.
In Atlanta, and in the south in general women have longer average lengths I think.

beans4reezy

I used to say BSB, but now, this is a subjective thing to me. Someone may have APL hair, but because of how they are porpotioned; it looks really long. It depends on the height of the person to me, so I go by a case by case basis now.

envybeauty

In Atlanta, and in the south in general women have longer average lengths I think.

My observations point to the opposite trend.

Especially bc Southern salons charge by the length of your hair .....:rolleyes:...... so stylists are quick to trim sistas bc they lack experience dealing with/encouraging longer hair.

BlackDiamond21

Based on the options, I choose BSL. Even though I am BSL, I don't consider my hair long :spinning:.

I think long hair is MBL or WL - that is where I wanna be :grin:.

Shout out to all the MBL/WL sistahs! Keep doing what you do, cause you keep me motivated. :lick:

growinstrong

Although I'm about BSL, I would still consider APL to be long :yep:. For some that's the perfect length because it seems like you have so much versatility where shorter and long styles still look good.

Lucia

My observations point to the opposite trend.

Especially bc Southern salons charge by the length of your hair .....:rolleyes:...... so stylists are quick to trim sistas bc they lack experience dealing with/encouraging longer hair.

When I've been to FLA and NY I always see ladies with banging hair, and esp in FLA everyone has long hair, but the east coast is mostly latin carib's and SA's and I heard the same about atlanta too.
I guess most stylists are the same everywhere, actually the longhairs I see on Fotki and on here usually self trim, or get 1 trusted person to trim 1/year for them. Last time I went to a salon she set me back a year by cutting 6 inches when she said she would only trim the thin ends- OUCH!

Last edited:

NikStarrr

I consider APL long. I don't feel that way about my own hair so much, haha, but when I see someone else with APL hair, if I had to describe it to someone, I'd refer to it as "long".