August 2015: Hits & Misses

ms.blue

Initial hit: Hairveda Satin red tea moisturizer. I used this last night while twisting my hair. This morning my hair felt moisturized and soft plus I really like the smell of this product.

The shipping was also a hit. I haven't bought from hairveda in yrs because I hated their extremely slow processing and shipping times. This time, it took about a week to receive.

Miss: The pump used for the moisturizer. I couldn't get the pump to pop up despite numerous attempts following the direction on which way to turn. Right before bed, I decided to just try again and it worked :mad::angry2:.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
MISS: Petroleum based grease (Dax and Softee) and Grease Method (wash n go with grease not gel).

Petro grease- I liked the weight of the grease, but it didn't feel rich. Unlike oils, butters, and petro free grease; my cottony hair didn't get silky as I applied and smoothed the product through.

Grease method- It worked well on my silky strands, providing a little more shine and definition. But my hair is mostly cottony and those strands weren't anymore defined then they would be without product. After drying my hair felt greasy. Pros: great sealant, my hair dried soft and fast, had sheen, and I had no trouble washing the grease out. I could experiment with it as a sealant before gel, but wanted to try natural alternatives first.

HIT: Natural Greases (Unpetroleum Jelly and ITDF Olive Conditioning Pomade)

My hair likes the weight and richness of these natural "greases" and even when I used a lot, it didnt feel greasy. I saw more definition and silkiness on my cottony strands with these products than what the petrolatum based grease gave me. I didn't attempt a wash and go with them alone.

I tried a braidout with ITDF Pomade as my sealant before gel. The heaviness gave me more elongation and mixed well with my gel. I used the Unpetroleum Jelly as my sealant/styler for last night's two strand twists. My hair dried fast and has great shine.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Hits
Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner mixed with either SM Coconut Hibiscus Conditioner or SM Kids Coconut Hibiscus Extra Nourishing Conditioner - add perfect balance of slip, penetrating moisture & weight

On the Fence/“Meh"
Tropic Isle Living Coconut JBCO Hair Food - It's grainy & too light for my hair. Out of 11 ingredients coconut oil is 1st; neem is 9th. However my scalp quickly absorbs this pomade. I used it daily with no build-up.
Aubrey Organics White Camelia Smooth Conditioner (new formula) - It just sits on my hair. Average performance with heat. Excellent as a slippery leave-in/refresher diluted with distilled H2O. Nice vanilla-ginger scent.

Miss
John Masters Organics Hair Pomade - not worth the $20. Very lightweight. Key ingredients are Atlas Cedarwood, Bay laurel, fir basalm, massoia but I couldn't detect any of that. Item smells like wheat germ oil & beeswax. My Badger Balms are much better.

ClassyJSP

Miss
Carol's daughter co wash. It worked for me the first wash but the last few it hasn't done a great job of cleaning my hair or scalp. Plus I have to use a good amount of product on one wash and the bottle isn't cheap. I think i'll stick to As I am cowash instead

CodeRed

Hit:
- Even though it seems like I keep adding things, my stash is getting smaller
- Coconut water and cream- softens hair
- Tresemme Perfectly Undone Conditioner - great co-wash
- Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Yucca and Plantain masque - it really works like it says - soft hair and much less breakage

Continued hits:
- Steaming
-VO5 cowashes

Misses:
- Shampoo bar - was just ok on my natural hair (new growth) but made my relaxed hair hard, but not as hard as shampoo. If and when I decide to be natural I'll try them again then. I'm going to use these for my body.
- Coconut cream and coconut water- works fine on my hair (hit) but I don't want to worry about how to keep it when I have extra I'm not going to use immediately.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Newest Hits
- Mielle Organics Avocado Hair Milk
- Inahsi Naturals Island Breeze Hair Whip

Continued Hits
- Mielle Organics White Peony Moisturizing Leave In Conditioner
- LRC Shake and Go spray

GeorginaSparks

Anything Shea Moisture is a Miss for me :lol:

Miss:
DNA Cowash. It was not moisturizing, not much slip, overall, gave my hair a straw-like feeling

Hit:
NaturelleGrow mangos and berries.
its a strengthning cowash. very interesting concept. i like how it didnt make my hair mushy soft but still detangled. very nice. i will buy a larger size when i run out.
NaturelleGrow indian clay moisturizing hair mask.
i think it also has a little bit of protein. also quite different from her marshmallow root, slippery elm dc. im really loving her products.

NappyKinks

Continuing Hit:

Soultanicals Fan Friday Sale + VIP Membership

Loving this VIP Membership!! Soultanicals hair oils are bomb and they're usually $18 for an 8oz bottle. With the membership they're $14.40, add in the fan friday 50% off discount and they're $7.20 a pop for a total of 60% off.:bouncy: So I bought 4, three for me and one for my cuz who's newly natural, to try.

Oh and just in case I forgot to mention last week's HIT was:

All This

For $18

Last edited:

NaturallyATLPCH

On the Fence: Soultanicals Afrotastic DC
So it was amazing going on; melted tangles, great slip, etc.
When I rinsed it out, my hair felt...meh...
As I was styling, the sections that dried felt really dry.

I think when I use it again, I will try it without heat.
If all else fails, I will pair it with my APB oils to use it up.

The winning DC I've tried so far these past couple of months is Naturale Grow's Thick and Rich DC. Nothing I'm using seems to come close.

Continued Hits:
Soultanicals Knot Sauce
Sarenzo's Body Frosting

Major Hit:
My monthly product usage challenge. I am so glad I thought of this. I am more focused than ever with consistency and product organization. I am already planning for September. :cool2:

NaturallyATLPCH

Continuing Hit:

Soultanicals Fan Friday Sale + VIP Membership

Loving this VIP Membership!! Soultanicals hair oils are bomb and they're usually $18 for an 8oz bottle. With the membership they're $14.40, add in the fan friday 50% off discount and they're $7.20 a pop for a total of 60% off.:bouncy: So I bought 4, three for me and one for my cuz who's newly natural, to try.

Oh and just in case I forgot to mention last week's HIT was:

All This

For $18

Yes ma'am! Membership does have its perks.

AgeinATL

On the Fence: Soultanicals Afrotastic DC
So it was amazing going on; melted tangles, great slip, etc.
When I rinsed it out, my hair felt...meh...
As I was styling, the sections that dried felt really dry.

I think when I use it again, I will try it without heat.
If all else fails, I will pair it with my APB oils to use it up.

I feel the same way about it. I tried it once and was totally underwhelmed. It DOES feel great going on and after using it with heat. But once I rinsed, nothing. I will give it one more go before determining if it is a hit or miss, but currently I am on the fence about it too.

NappyKinks

@NaturallyATLPCH, @AgeinATL I always wanted to try the Afrotastic Curl Elastic but never got around to it. I did however try the Curl Supreme and it did to my hair what Afrotastic did to yours. I loved the scent, the way it felt going on, the way it melted my tangles and it did provide some shine. However as soon as my hair started to dry it frizzed out and tangled up again. I tried it several times but ended up giving it away to a friend. Now I'm not sure I want to try the Afrotastic anymore.:sad: I might just give that Molasses Reconstructor a go though.:D

Desert Skye

This is embarrassing considering how long I have been a member but

Hit:
Pre pooing

My hair has been going buck wild suddenly. It was dry event though I was using my best conditioners. I saw some old cheapie co dish I didn't want so I mixed it with Amla and pre poo for 3o mins. Now my hair is so moisturized

Ms. Syl

Tweak'd moisturizing cleansing system so far, so good.
I have used it twice to cleanse my relaxed silver hair and I have experienced softness, easy detangling, straighter ends . And it is very easy and time saving .

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Miss
Laila Ali Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer - The bonnet is too small.
Aubrey Organics JAY Conditioner (original formula) - My new bottle was spoiled

Continued Hits
SM Three Butters Utility Gel-Mousse - Medium-firm hold serum. I don't have to seal due to the butters.
AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (original formula)
AO Island Naturals Replenishing Conditioner (original formula) -
Balanced conditioner. Pimento scent perfect with Tropic Isle Living Strong Roots treatment or HBCO/JBCO

New Hits
SwissCo Combs - Found these for $5 at Marshall's. Combs are like Mason Pearson but 1/2 price. They don't bend or warp over time like MP combs.
Flat Twists - I've finally learned after years of practice & watching YouTube videos. I get more stretched twist-outs.

Last edited: