Baggie Method Isn't Working For Me.... :mad:

sengschick

The Bun Master
Baggie Method Isn\'t Working For Me.... :mad:

Okay, I was on a baggie high a week or so ago, right? I was going to stay in this baggie for the rest of my life /images/graemlins/laugh.gif .... until today /images/graemlins/frown.gif . This morning I was combing my hair and I did a comb check. My broken hairs exceeded my shedding /images/graemlins/mad.gif, which is certainly not my norm. Typically I might see 3 broken hairs and maybe 3-5 longer hairs that have shed. Today I saw way, way too many and the broken hairs exceeded the shedding hairs 3 to 1. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif I didn't dare count I just seperated them into piles. I shed about 5-7 hairs (I haven't combed it in a few days) and at least 12 hairs were broken. I think maybe my ends need to breathe, maybe they are suffocating or something? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Today I just moisturized them as if they were going in the baggie before I rolled it up and pinned /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Re: Baggie Method Isn\'t Working For Me.... :mad:

I was going to post a topic just like this! I started doing the baggie method when I first joined the board in July and each time it seemed like it wasn't working. I had broken hairs too!! I tried it with EVOO, Kemi Oyl (sp?), coconut oil, Breakfree, and regular conditioner. I don't know if it's the baggie or if my hair doesn't respond well to oils and I haven't found the best conditioner for my hair yet but I understand your frustration. I think I am going to try it again though once I find the best conditioner for my hair, but then again I think the baggie method might not be for me either /images/graemlins/nono.gif

mrslee

Love yourself first!

I know how you feel. I thought I was seeing a little more breakage after a while. So now I am going to do the baggie once a week closer to the day I will wash and the other days. I spray a little S-curl on my ends, put hair in a pony holder, roller ends in a mangnet roller and cover with my satin bonnet. In the morning my ends feel soft and moisturized! I want to stay on the Baggie Challenge, but I may have to get out! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

Maybe you should only do the baggie at night and protective styles when u go out. This works better for me.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn

i dont really see the point in the baggie method. my hair hardens and tangles when too much moisturizer is sopped on it. i just moisturize my hair every night with a liquid curl activator and it's fine.

mrslee

Love yourself first!

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif @ "sopped" I havent heard that word in a long time!! I am in tears!!! LOL

Tai

The point of the baggie method is to protect your ends. What are you using on your ends, Sengs? I use coconut oil and a heavier, creamy moisturizer like Profectiv's Healthy Ends or Surge Ultra Max. My breakage reduced after doing the baggie method.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn

i understand the point of it, meaning the theory behind it, but theres no purpose to it and its unnecessary for me, when i protect my ends and moisturize it anyway.

sengschick

The Bun Master

Well I'm happy to know I'm not alone /images/graemlins/smile.gif . It could be what I was putting in the baggie too, but I'm stopping until I get my ends back to normal b/c these hairs where 1-2" long /images/graemlins/nono.gif . I put a nice coating of Nature's Gate Aloe w/castor & avocado oil on them today, so they should be nice and soft when I take them down. I'm thinking I may give it another go but only during the day or at night.

I keep hearing my mothers voice saying, your hair needs to breathe /images/graemlins/look.gif .

MonaLisa

My breakage has greatly reduced as well...hmmm...
I don't recall the Queen of the Baggie, Adrienne, saying anything about using oils - I coulda swore she used Vaseline on hers.

I noticed when I was using the oils..there was a lil short hair brekage...but when I slapped my Softee and a lil Woojee on my braid...I was straight. I was also fine using Castor Oil. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
i understand the point of it, meaning the theory behind it, but theres no purpose to it and its unnecessary for me, when i protect my ends and moisturize it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm questioning this too, b/c are you protecting your hair from the drying effects of the air (and if it's in a protective style all day aren't you already doing that?) or are you just trying to keep it as wet as possible (which is your hairs weakest state anyway)?? My hair is funny acting anyway b/c it doesn't like anything heavy on it, it responds by breaking /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

I think you're right Mona. I think Adrienne used vaseline. I was using vaseline at first but it was too hard to wash it out. I started using olive oil mixed with Worlds of Curls or castor oil.

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...understood. Different things work for different heads I guess.

Again, everyone's hair isn't the same, responds differently to different things. What doesn't have purpose to some heads sprouts forth better ends in others.

Namaste.

InsertCleverNameHere

The baggie method TORE my ends up...and of course like the lil rebel I am, I'm going back in for more, lol! For me, when my hair was wet or damp, my ends would break...I don't think my hair likes to be over-moisturized...your could be the same way.

I am currently doing the baggie method on completely dry hair with only Olive oil. This has been good so far but possibly pointless. The only benefit I could see since I'm not using moisture is cost wise since the oil stays trapped around your ends..I guess another benefit could be that I can actually soak my ends in oil without oil running down my back, lol...

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn

[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...understood. Different things work for different heads I guess.

Again, everyone's hair isn't the same, responds differently to different things. What doesn't have purpose to some heads sprouts forth better ends in others.

Namaste.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, which is why i said for me /images/graemlins/look.gif

InsertCleverNameHere

Also adding that I had been using vaseline for years and it wasn't until I started using a baggie that it became a detriment to my hair...My ends would be hard and greasy

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
The point of the baggie method is to protect your ends. What are you using on your ends, Sengs? I use coconut oil and a heavier, creamy moisturizer like Profectiv's Healthy Ends or Surge Ultra Max. My breakage reduced after doing the baggie method.

[/ QUOTE ] Well I started last week using Stay Sof Fro, then I switched to a blend (World Of Curls, distilled water, avocado, castor, little Surge, little Elasta Leave-in**). Since I noticed more breakage I used just started using oils, castor & avocado. But now that I'm thinking about it... castor is really heavy for my hair and maybe the ends were weighed down and then I combed them causing them to break /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif. I typically only comb my hair after it's been cleansed and while it has conditioner in it, so maybe that the other big difference here. I'm still wary though.

@Mona: Girl, if I used Vaseline my hair would snap in two seconds. That lasted for one day /images/graemlins/nono.gif. Vaseline touch ends, hand comes back littered w/broken hair /images/graemlins/nono.gif.

**Okay maybe that wasn't smart, but it's my catch all bottle /images/graemlins/look.gif.

Tai

I couldn't use Vaseline, either. My hair no likey vaseline at all. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I also can't use castor oil, either. It's too thick and sticky. The coconut oil is light and it seems to really penetrate my hair. If you were to use castor oil, I'd blend it with a lighter oil like jojoba or grapeseed.

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
The baggie method TORE my ends up...and of course like the lil rebel I am, I'm going back in for more, lol! For me, when my hair was wet or damp, my ends would break...I don't think my hair likes to be over-moisturized...your could be the same way.

I am currently doing the baggie method on completely dry hair with only Olive oil. This has been good so far but possibly pointless. The only benefit I could see since I'm not using moisture is cost wise since the oil stays trapped around your ends..I guess another benefit could be that I can actually soak my ends in oil without oil running down my back, lol...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm thinking too. My ends don't want to be wet/damp constantly. Plus I have this fear (I know it's irrational, but we all have hangups, right? /images/graemlins/look.gif ) of dry rotting hair /images/graemlins/nuts.gif. But someone told me that once about having braids, b/c when you wash them often they may never dry fully and your hair could dry rot. I think about that every time I put damp hair in that baggie. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

mkstar826

supersonic

This is why I only do it 2-3 nights a week (with a plastic cap) and just wear protective styles during the day. For some ladies, the constant moisture is too much and I'm one of them. I also use coconut oil and my hair absorbs it SO well.

melodee

I began using vaseline last year and had terrible results so I stopped. I'm a mainly wear it loose or bun it girl. I don't do baggy method on a continual basis, but I found the key is to find out which products/moisure level your hair best responds to. My hair hates being too wet. my fine strands snap too easily. So I use hardly any water on it, maybe a spray or tow of detangler. I let my hair airdry about 80% before I put on a baggy. I also found that certain oils work better than others. Any i make sure my hair is twisted firmly so that it;s not getting tangled up under there. my ends will do the triangle thing if they are kept taut.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I started the baggie method Saturday (Dec. 4) and my hair started to go downhill. For the dry part of my hair (crown and edges) I would notice broken, stray hairs around the ponytail. It's hard to explain. I guess my hair cannot handle being dry (the hair that's exposed) and wet (the hair in the bagge) at the same time. It must be causing too much stress on my fine textured hair. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif
When I re-moisturzed the dry part of my hair, my hair would look a mess. When I decided to take down the baggie yesterday, my hair was very difficult to comb through. My dry hair was hard and cripsy and my wet hair was matted together. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
I'm thinking it's really the hardwater. So last night, I ordered a Paragon Shower Filter. I put my hair into two braids and unbraided them this morning for a braidout; turned out pretty nice! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I couldn't use Vaseline, either. My hair no likey vaseline at all. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I also can't use castor oil, either. It's too thick and sticky. The coconut oil is light and it seems to really penetrate my hair. If you were to use castor oil, I'd blend it with a lighter oil like jojoba or grapeseed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I cut the castor oil w/avocado /images/graemlins/smile.gif. But I think it was the weight from the oils and me combing that created the less than desired results. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Coconut oil doesn't do anything for my hair, which is strange b/c I used to use it all the time in HS. Now it actually dries me a little.

@Mkstar: I concur /images/graemlins/smile.gif , limited baggie for me.
@Melodee: /images/graemlins/smile.gif I learned to twist too, so I haven't been tangled thankfully!!!!
@Poohbear: /images/graemlins/up.gif Good luck w/the shower filter.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

I don't put my hair wet in the baggie, I just put some Coconut Oil that I have in a jar (a thick butter) and then pure olive oil. Then bun it and put a bag on top. And I only do it at nights. So far it's looking gooooooood... /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I really like this method. But maybe I won't think so in a few weeks - who knows?

Anyway I'm jealous of people who only lose about 5-7 strands a day!!! I lose so much more than that, I can't even count the strands!!! I don't really care about it anymore, but broken strands make me worried!

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
Maybe you should only do the baggie at night and protective styles when u go out. This works better for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also a good option, I've done this as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

blkmaryland

It only works for me on dry hair. I have been doing it on and off for two weeks with castor oil as my staple and then I might add a little bit of this, a little bit of that, shea butter, whatever conditioner I'm not mad with, some hairgrease, S-curl.....it really varies but I definately don't do it on wet hair.

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
FlowerHair said:
I don't put my hair wet in the baggie, I just put some Coconut Oil that I have in a jar (a thick butter) and then pure olive oil. Then bun it and put a bag on top. And I only do it at nights. So far it's looking gooooooood... /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I really like this method. But maybe I won't think so in a few weeks - who knows?

Anyway I'm jealous of people who only lose about 5-7 strands a day!!! I lose so much more than that, I can't even count the strands!!! I don't really care about it anymore, but broken strands make me worried!

[/ QUOTE ]
As you said, only broken strands are of concern. Shedding is something you can't control. I'm envious of ppl like SuperGirl who get no shedding while washing!!! That's amazing to me, but I don't think I'll ever be so fortunate and that's okay too. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

genesis

Whoa! This is really interesting. I was having alot of breaking/shedding issues when I would take down my baggie, and my hair would be all tangly; I never understood why. I guess my hair does not like all of the excess moisture either, I have been doing the baggie method with wet hair. I will try it on dry hair next time. What would I do without you ladies!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

Oh, I forgot to add that I look like "Natty Dreadlock" when I take my hair down in the morning, but as I put my hair in a bun nobody really sees the long dreads that my hair has formed during the night... I don't comb it/detangle in the morning I just bun it and go.
The only time I comb now is with my fingers in the shower when I wash it.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm, never thought of this. i may try this /images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks /images/graemlins/up.gif