baking soda lightening hair..

BeautifulRoots

so I recently heard that baking soda slowly lightens hair overtime. I like to use it during wash day to cleanse my scalp and help make detangling easier. I love how my hair feels after using it, but I do enjoy my hair color as is. Is there something I could use to help prevent this from happening or would I have to just stop using baking soda altogether?

aja1121

I make sure you rinse all the way clean or use it less frequently. I made the mistake leaving some in and waited until it dried and just flaked it out.

Now I have these light patches and that was the first time I ever used it.

BeautifulRoots

I make sure you rinse all the way clean or use it less frequently. I made the mistake leaving some in and waited until it dried and just flaked it out.

Now I have these light patches and that was the first time I ever used it.

O ok...maybe I didn't rinse well or something...hmm...thanks for letting me know. I really love the baking soda mix...i've heard something about using salt...I wonder would this have the same result as using the baking soda without the hair lightening affect...

msa

I've been using baking soda regularly and my hair hasn't lightened at all. I've also heard that it loosens your curl pattern and I don't want that either so I'm going to keep a close eye on both of those things.

I will make sure to rinse really well though. I feel like not rinsing it out well or leaving it on for long periods of time might be the problem. Kind of like, if you put hair dye on and leave it for a minute and rinse it off there's not enough time for it to work really well; but if you leave it on for awhile then the color will take.