Baking soda wash = white patches on scalp?

natumer

I tried the baking soda wash on my daughter (6 yo). While I loooooooooooved the way it made her hair feel and look. I was surprised that a few days later (less than 1 week, I do weekly washes). I noticed some white patches on her scalp. Does that mean she was burned?

This is what I did:
I oiled her scalp
Then shampooed
Then conditioned her hair (2/3 conditioner with 1/3 baking soda)
put her hair under a cap for 45 minutes
Then rinsed out

Please advise on what I did wrong. I would love to do this again (safely) since I really liked how it made her hair look. Also, how often can this be done. I wash every week, would it be too much to do weekly.

Also, I apologize if I should have put this in the children's thread, but since it was specific to baking soda use I thought to add it here.

jamaraa

No it doesn't mean she's burned. Is she complaining of pain? I'm not big on baking soda being used this way because it's too alkaline on the pH scale, but that's just me.

I'd rinse her hair and scalp again...if you need to, wash her hair w/ a conventional shampoo to remove it. It's probably left over baking soda...you want to get that off he scalp ASAP.

melissa-bee

1/3 baking soda. I think that's waaaay to much. When i wash with baking soda i have a 750ml of water and a table spoon of baking soda. And it does the job very well. Have you even tried that mixture on your on scalp before you tried it on your daughter?

SVT

I thought baking soda was used as a shampoo substitute not a conditioner? I've used it as a cleanser by mixing with plain water in a spray bottle then spraying my scalp and rinsing.

I know when I used baking as an underarm deodorant I would sometimes get dark patches. I stopped using it after a while.

thefineprint

i agree with ^^^ - baking soda is normally used along w/ a shampoo to help with clarifying properties. since it is a cleaning agent i don't see what conditioning benefits, if any, that it would have. i usually mix a tablespoon of baking soda w/ one or two cups of water. a little really goes a long way

natumer

No it doesn't mean she's burned. Is she complaining of pain? I'm not big on baking soda being used this way because it's too alkaline on the pH scale, but that's just me.

I'd rinse her hair and scalp again...if you need to, wash her hair w/ a conventional shampoo to remove it. It's probably left over baking soda...you want to get that off he scalp ASAP.

I did ask her all along and she said it felt fine, and she did not complain after either and said her scalp/hair/head felt fine. I did rinse out again, but after a couple of days the scalp was still dry (white patches).

She has dry scalp already and was hoping that using bs would clarify and truly clean her scalp and remove any kind of dandruff like residue on her hair. I guess I did not do this right.

natumer

1/3 baking soda. I think that's waaaay to much. When i wash with baking soda i have a 750ml of water and a table spoon of baking soda. And it does the job very well. Have you even tried that mixture on your on scalp before you tried it on your daughter?

Actually no I did not try in on my scalp before I tried it on her. I don't do my own hair, so I have not used it on mine.

I guess I did not truly used this as a wash, since I washed with shampoo but added it to the conditioner.

natumer

I thought baking soda was used as a shampoo substitute not a conditioner? I've used it as a cleanser by mixing with plain water in a spray bottle then spraying my scalp and rinsing.

I know when I used baking as an underarm deodorant I would sometimes get dark patches. I stopped using it after a while.

thefineprint said:
i agree with ^^^ - baking soda is normally used along w/ a shampoo to help with clarifying properties. since it is a cleaning agent i don't see what conditioning benefits, if any, that it would have. i usually mix a tablespoon of baking soda w/ one or two cups of water. a little really goes a long way.

I did not substitute it for the shampoo. I used it to reinforce the conditioner. I read that it makes the hair softer and texturize it...which it did with the conditioner. I probably used too much.:wallbash:

When you use it with the water in a spray bottle do you shampoo at all (before/after) do your condition (before/after). Does it help with taking away product residue/dandruff???
Thanks for your answers.

jamaraa

natumer if she's alright, don't worry so much. Is she losing hair in those areas? If not, I'd just avoid this in future and oil her scalp good for now. JMHO, but kids as young as she doesn't need any clarifying prods/techniques at all. If she has dandruff, just keep her clean and invest in some naural oils and remove the dandruff from her scalp.

200AndOne

I think that leaving it on for so long under a cap was the issue. I use about the same proportions you used, but I apply, work through, and rinse w/o letting it set. My guess is the baking soda just got a little too "attached" (literally) to her scalp.

melissa-bee

^people normally use baking soda in thier conditioner as a co-wash/clarifier, if they don't use shampoo. Or they may add it to their shampoo to add a clarifying effect. But never a with a deep conditoner with heat. I'm sure people use baking soda in cakes to make the dough rise and it's trigger is heat. However there are slight differences with baking soda and bicarbonate of soda in the uk and us. But if it is used for that where you are you could have done some serious damage, to the strands. Especially as you used so much baking soda and with added heat. Sorry i can't really help with the white patches, does it look like pigment has been removed from the skin?

natumer

natumer if she's alright, don't worry so much. Is she losing hair in those areas? If not, I'd just avoid this in future and oil her scalp good for now. JMHO, but kids as young as she doesn't need any clarifying prods/techniques at all. If she has dandruff, just keep her clean and invest in some naural oils and remove the dandruff from her scalp.

No she did not lose any hair, it seems that she lost less than usual actually.

I don't know if it's real dandruff or just dry scalp or product buildup. I wash weekly and it's usually not too bad if I keep up the weekly washes. What oil(s) would you suggest?

SVT

I did not substitute it for the shampoo. I used it to reinforce the conditioner. I read that it makes the hair softer and texturize it...which it did with the conditioner. I probably used too much.:wallbash:

When you use it with the water in a spray bottle do you shampoo at all (before/after) do your condition (before/after). Does it help with taking away product residue/dandruff???
Thanks for your answers.

I've read that salt will soften when combined with conditioner. I've never tried that combo, though.

I concentrated the baking soda mix on my scalp, rinsed then conditioner-washed my hair after.

natumer

^people normally use baking soda in thier conditioner as a co-wash/clarifier, if they don't use shampoo. Or they may add it to their shampoo to add a clarifying effect. But never a with a deep conditoner with heat. I'm sure people use baking soda in cakes to make the dough rise and it's trigger is heat. However there are slight differences with baking soda and bicarbonate of soda in the uk and us. But if it is used for that where you are you could have done some serious damage, to the strands. Especially as you used so much baking soda and with added heat. Sorry i can't really help with the white patches, does it look like pigment has been removed from the skin?

No heat was used. I just added the cap while the cond/bs was in her hair and she played for a while before I rinsed out...deep conditioner with no heat.

The patches were above surface (like you could scratch it off with no skin being removed---hope that makes sense) it did not look like a burn, like a relaxer burn. It seemed superficial...It's just that one of the reason I was using the bs was to cleanse her scalp from "dandruff like" product build up, so the white patches seem to add to the problem not solved it.

hmmmm may be you mean the heat from being under the cap, not from seating under a dryer???

Last edited:

natumer

I've read that salt will soften when combined with conditioner. I've never tried that combo, though.

I concentrated the baking soda mix on my scalp, rinsed then conditioner-washed my hair after.

OMG...why do we even bother buying any hair product...I guess anything in the kitchen does something for the hair :lachen:

natumer

I'd use jojoba or olive oil. Coconut is a fine choice if you want something a bit heavier.

Thanks! I bought olive oil, shea butter, coconut, castor oil...truth is I don't know how to use them and what to use for what? :blush: I usually just add a little bit of each in my water spray and use that to style...

natumer

I think that leaving it on for so long under a cap was the issue. I use about the same proportions you used, but I apply, work through, and rinse w/o letting it set. My guess is the baking soda just got a little too "attached" (literally) to her scalp.

I see...I did not need to let her sit with it under a cap. I guess I should have done her deep conditioner separately.

trevprit

Thanks! I bought olive oil, shea butter, coconut, castor oil...truth is I don't know how to use them and what to use for what? :blush: I usually just add a little bit of each in my water spray and use that to style...

There are some pretty nice recipes on MotownGirl's website. They are great for getting started with mixing up a few of your own haircare items and for using kitchen products, like baking soda and ACV.

zazzi

I use about a tablespoon of baking soda with a jar of warm water, and just slowly pour it over my or my daughter's head while rubbing it gently. (my daughter is 4) It cleanses nicely without stripping the hair. I use it in place of shampoo, then follow with conditioner. As far as the softening goes, you're thinking about the Kiya Fizzle. :) You can do a search for it on here. It's mixing bs and citric acid with conditioner, or just salt and conditioner like SVT said.

Like others, I recommend rinsing her hair and massaging it gently with some oil. Good luck.

natumer

I use about a tablespoon of baking soda with a jar of warm water, and just slowly pour it over my or my daughter's head while rubbing it gently. (my daughter is 4) It cleanses nicely without stripping the hair. I use it in place of shampoo, then follow with conditioner. As far as the softening goes, you're thinking about the Kiya Fizzle. :) You can do a search for it on here. It's mixing bs and citric acid with conditioner, or just salt and conditioner like SVT said.

Like others, I recommend rinsing her hair and massaging it gently with some oil. Good luck.

Got it! Thanks I will try this way on our next wash.

Soude

Actually, there are a few threads on here about using baking soda and conditioner to deep condition (not as a part of the Kiya Fizzle) as well as several youtube videos (check out KinkyKurlyQueen and ItsMsHeatherNicole) regarding a baking soda conditioner that is generally 2 parts conditioner to 1 part baking soda and left on for about an hour. Also check out littlegoldenlamb's fotki as she used this for a period of time. I actually did this treatment yesterday for the first time.

Regarding your daughter's scalp... I don't know. If it's dryness, it might have been caused by using both shampoo and baking soda (which can still be drying even as part of the conditioning treatment). Because of baking soda's cleansing properties I just did the treatment without shampooing beforehand. Rinsing thoroughly is important but she would probably have been in pain by now if it was left over baking soda on her scalp. When I was applying the treatment, it was irritating to the skin on my neck. I can't imagine what my neck would feel like if it was still on.

jamaraa

You use oils neat or mixed together really. Nothing special, just put some in our hand and message it thru her hair and scalp. Not too heavy either. Just enough to give you some pliabilty w/ the hair and to ease the dry scalp...sine's a benefit! :grin:

With a child this small, there's no reason she shold have build up because you don't need heavy duty prods, just some oil, water and gentle shampoo/condish and she's all set. When you comb/brush/whatever her hair, the oil-water mixture is nice oto spray in to help w/ the tanlges.

natumer

Actually, there are a few threads on here about using baking soda and conditioner to deep condition (not as a part of the Kiya Fizzle) as well as several youtube videos (check out KinkyKurlyQueen and ItsMsHeatherNicole) regarding a baking soda conditioner that is generally 2 parts conditioner to 1 part baking soda and left on for about an hour. Also check out littlegoldenlamb's fotki as she used this for a period of time. I actually did this treatment yesterday for the first time.

Regarding your daughter's scalp... I don't know. If it's dryness, it might have been caused by using both shampoo and baking soda (which can still be drying even as part of the conditioning treatment). Because of baking soda's cleansing properties I just did the treatment without shampooing beforehand. Rinsing thoroughly is important but she would probably have been in pain by now if it was left over baking soda on her scalp. When I was applying the treatment, it was irritating to the skin on my neck. I can't imagine what my neck would feel like if it was still on.

I will go researching some more before I try this again...thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yeah, I don't think it's leftover BS since she did not complain of burning.

How did you like using it?

natumer

You use oils neat or mixed together really. Nothing special, just put some in our hand and message it thru her hair and scalp. Not too heavy either. Just enough to give you some pliabilty w/ the hair and to ease the dry scalp...sine's a benefit! :grin:

With a child this small, there's no reason she shold have build up because you don't need heavy duty prods, just some oil, water and gentle shampoo/condish and she's all set. When you comb/brush/whatever her hair, the oil-water mixture is nice oto spray in to help w/ the tanlges.

Thanks! I don't use much product on her hair. It's mostly the oils and water. I apply shea butter on her scalp and the oils in her water spray to help with tangles and smooth finish. I will not use BS for a while and see how her scalp does.
If she still have "buildup" does that mean something else is going on? What could it be if not product buildup?
Would a simple regimen of wash, condish, shea butter on scalp, water and oil in hair cause buildup?
should I not apply shea butter to scalp, but apply the oils (olive oil) to scalp?

sorry for so many questions. I do appreciate the guidance :)

cmw45

I agree with the above posters. I think you probably just used too much and there is some residue left on her scalp, I would wash it off ASAP as it could clog her poors and cause irritation when she sweats.

I add banksoda to my clarifying conditioner as a shampoo substitute but I don't know that I would use it as a conditioner unless you plan to rinse really really really well.

MsCounsel

Sounds like toooooo much BS and not enough of a rinse. I do BS/ACV cleanser/rinse. I mix them first so that it is in liquid form. If I do a mild scrub, I use a lot of water to make sure that it does not cake.
HTH

zazzi

Sounds like toooooo much BS and not enough of a rinse. I do BS/ACV cleanser/rinse. I mix them first so that it is in liquid form. If I do a mild scrub, I use a lot of water to make sure that it does not cake.
HTH

That was actually just a rough estimate. I put about an oz or less of baking soda in a 3 oz plastic cup, then fill a jar (probably 24oz) with warm water and put about half of the bkg soda in there. Use that for half the hair, then put the rest (sometimes not even all) in the jar and fill it with water again for the other half of hair. Then I rinse very well before conditioning.

I didn't want to get too longwinded the first time around, which is why I wasn't so detailed. :) It was all to make the point of using the baking soda as a cleanser in place of shampoo instead of in addition to it. :yep: