Being Assertive with the Stylists

AnnDriena_

I read a lot of posts about stylist trying to bully people and then ruining the clients hair doing what they told the stylists not to do. How and when have any of you ladies had to get assertive with your stylists and what are your tips for gettting the results you want. I haven't been back to my stylist lately with my list of demands but since I'm one who unfortunatly likes a good fight
I look forward to going back with products in hand and demands about my head. I don't mind being rude. Do you find that stops you from saying certain things to your stylist? Or do you like me have no problem saying it's my money and my head and if you have a problem with that I can go elsewhere, (respectfully of course).

In my experience, it is best to go to an opposite sex hairdresser, unless your female stylist has and/or appreciates long, healthy hair.

Also, you may want to call on the phone before your appointment and say, "I want to talk about my appointment to have X done to my hair next week. I am nervous about x,y,z." Drawing on your experience and knowledge, let them know your concerns and ask how they intend to address them. If they get an attitude because you are asking questions, then you should not let them do your hair.

Talk to them again when you get to the salon. If they try to wisk you into the chair without so much as a word, then you have to be the one to speak up. Don't lean back in the wash bowl without going over what's going to happen. Don't worry if other people in the salon look at you funny or think you are being over the top. ALL you should think about is how you'll feel when you get back to your house, and what your account balance will be after paying them

Innocent_Kiss

Well, I'm not a rival type of person
but I'll talk up when it comes to my hair. I just try to be really respective and come to a common understanding about my hair and what I want to be done. If you all can communicate it should be all good. BUT there are those hairstylist that insist that they do your hair the way they want it to be done. The last time I went to the shop I got a wrap. I recently had got my split ends trimmed of so it was short (like the middle of my neck). I like the way short wraps look on me anyway. She INSISTED that she add weave with bonding glue. I was just starting my new hair regimen so I stressed how I didn't want weave period let alone with bonding glue because it rips my hair out. While I was explaining she was putting the glue on the track and just pasted it on my scalp. I was so shocked
I couldn't say anything
I'll NEVER go back.

Tracy

In my experience the best thing you can do is NOT be rude. A stylist who is going to try to do what they want will try that regardless of how many products you bring and how firm you are.

If they are open to treating your hair according to your wishes, it won't take being rude to them to find that out.

I think the MOST important thing a person can do is WATCH the stylist they want to use. I stood in the doorway of a salon watching the stylist I'm thinking about going to for 20 minutes in the doorway of the salon. People looked at me like I was nuts. Then when I went to speak to her and unfurled my hair :giggle: they were staring some more. If you're satisfied with her work after watching her/him and spaking to them, then go in for a conditioning treatment and a rollerset. Too many times we walk into a salon with a stylist we have NO knowledge of to get a touch up. That's CRAZY! Don't DO it! Feel her out SEVERAL times before the scissors or chemicals are even discussed.

As you go to them, TELL them you have products you really loved and wanted to bring to the salon. Let them know you are willing to pay the same amount (this is where most people run into trouble - you bring your own stuff so you think you're entitled to a discount. While that may technically make sense, it's not reasonable. If they all did this they wouldn't make ANY money and while I think they should make some concessions I think taking money off goes too far in the direction of unrealistic-ness on the part of the patron. But anyhow...)...

if the stylist seems to be open to it, great! If not, work on her a little. Say you experienced a lot of progress with these products, are trying to gain length and preserve health and would like for the two of you to work together as a team to accomplish that goal. Make them feel a part of it. But if they aren't open at all, you'll certainly know right away and you can move on.

I request every service, in detail, using correct terminolgy, with a smile and limit major maintenance like trims and chemical services to the 4th or 5th visit.

Be firm, but be nice, and be SMART about getting what you want. It's not all about twisting their arm - it's about getting them to work WITH you to achieve your haircare goals.

It's the in between times that you have to be more firm. Once you're comfotable and they think you're "cool" enough t hat they can just do what they want. There ARE people like that, after all. They arrive at a salon a nd they rely on the stylist to tell them what they need. They may resist at first, but eventually they cave inand do what the stylist suggests. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it's bad, but always it's under YOUR control to some extent - so don't give up your stake in the outcome! Be vigilant!

Make it very clear to your stylist what you want and then watch her, let it be known you're watching her. Ask her to hand you a mirror while she touches you up or trims you. If you think the relaxer is too far overlapped - tell her and ask her to rinse the chemical from your hair. if you don't want that trim - BE FIRM!

Be PROACTIVE, but be NICE.

This is my policy and I can count the number of terrible stylist experiences I've had in my LIFE, on a hand...

I totally agree with Tracy
. There is a good and bad way to tell your stylist what you want. Myself on the other hand, have tried everything with my stylist and she is not respondsive to my needs. I have been going to her for 3 years now and every since I started dating the new barber. WELL... her dedication to my hair has shifted. She constanly wants to cut my hair and is rude and loud about it when I object. i live in Portland and it is hard to find Black salons that do set, most will only do a flat iron.

blue_flower

I agree with Tracy. Be friendly and ask a lot of questions. Try not to be annoying though. If the stylist gets an attitude, then that should tell you something. You're paying him or her to do a service for you. Don't let them think that they're doing you a favor.