Ever think about being a stylist......

PrettyBrownEyes

hairmaster said:
It's not the best business to be in the clients only come to you long enough to get their hair healthy or relaxed, They don't follow the after care rutine you give them between visits then get mad when you cut off more damaged hair then they like. When the money gets tight the hair is the last thing to get done.

Thanks for sharing. I've been considering this career. Your post is food for thought. :)

hairmaster

PrettyBrownEyes said:
Thanks for sharing. I've been considering this career. Your post is food for thought. :)

Don't get me wrong it has it's rewards, when you take a head of damaged hair and repair it. The teenage client that is interested in learning to take care of their hair and your the one they ask. The client that is afraid of beauticians but trust you after the talk with you, you have to gain the trust of these people. You have to decised if your going to open you salon in the high rent, or the low rent and hope you make the right chose.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I am still a stylist, but not in a salon anymore, since almost loosing my life to giving birth to my oldest child and being out for a long time I decided to do hair at home in my extra time, and that's actually the best thing about being a stylist, you can be the BOSS and the STYLIST. Never owned my own salon, but my home does just fine :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: . As you can see in my profile I'm a seamstress which shows I love to create new things w/ my hands and seeing the outcome ;) . One thing about LHCF it gets you into the whole haircare and health of the hair and not just the appearance. Thanks LHCF!
HotCoCoGurl130 said:
I think I would be more interested in owning my own business. I don't like following orders especially if I know I can do a better job then the owner can.

bluediamond0829

I use to want to be a stylist...but i would want to be the best at it where i could do it in my sleep or blindfolded(lol) but i now see that some of the stylist that i deal with their personal attitudes get in the way of them having a very successful business...because they cant separate business from outside and social life then i change my mind...the only other thing i really wanted to do is own a salon...but not be a stylist just rent out the booths and have the business...

keke

Exaclty cause that is what we going through now, esp. me being the newbie w/no clientel yet. The folx i talk to when i tell them how much the styles cost in the shop they then become not interested. I need to meet some people in the rich areas. LOL

keke

Exactly. I know there is money that you can make in doing hair i have figured out some ways that I can, just dont have the clientel yet, but I too have found that in my time being here i dont think i will be working in a salon long, i think i'd rather do hair at home. I'll see how things go here. I've been working as one for only a couple months.

Healthb4Length

This is interesting, several months ago I posted about being a stylist, I was really into it...then I had a change of heart over the summer, working with chemicals, standing all day and nasty attitudes really turned me off...so now I'm taking time off school I'm exploring my options right now.:)

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Never in my wildest dreams would I make it as a stylist or thought about becoming a stylist. This is my greatest weakness. My poor daughter has beautiful thick hair and her mama styles it in 4 different ways all the time.

I need to sign up for styling101 class quick!

balisi

I am a few months shy of graduating from cosmetology school. :clap: I'd put it on hold for far too long because no one really supported me in it and I allowed everyone to discourage me from it. I realized after working in corporate environments for more than 20 years that if I'm going to work hard, it should be something that I enjoy doing, and I've always loved doing hair.

I was doing my mom's roller sets at age 11 and successfully rollerset my own hair until it was too long for me to do myself. It's always been normal for me to wear 2-5 different hairstyles in a week because I love to experiment on myself. Earning my license will be one of the greatest accomplishments of my life!

My advice to anyone considering a cosmetology career is this: you've got to love it and want it. If you do, you will be able and willing to deal with the "nasty attitudes," difficult customers, etc. Personally for me, I deal with nasty attitudes at my corporate job anyway. Your hands do not have to stay wet all day because in many salons, you can have someone shampoo your customers for you. The money potential is unlimited. It all depends on what direction you go in. Think outside the box. Being a stylist does NOT have to mean being behind a chair all the time.

I approach my impending cosmetology career with lots of hope and excitement, as well as a touch of fear at making a drastic career change. But cosmetology is my talent and love and I know and trust that I will be extremely successful and happy in such a career.

Last edited:

keke

so. Are there anymore stylists on this board or people have decided not to become one or quit? Anymore tips on being a good stylists or anything?

Healthb4Length

keke said:
Oh so Alli you are no longer a stylist? How long weredid you work as one?

Well I worked as an assistant to a stylist and it didn't go too well...I was disappointed about the whole situation...

Healthb4Length

balisi said:
I am a few months shy of graduating from cosmetology school. :clap: I'd put it on hold for far too long because no one really supported me in it and I allowed everyone to discourage me from it. I realized after working in corporate environments for more than 20 years that if I'm going to work hard, it should be something that I enjoy doing, and I've always loved doing hair.

I was doing my mom's roller sets at age 11 and successfully rollerset my own hair until it was too long for me to do myself. It's always been normal for me to wear 2-5 different hairstyles in a week because I love to experiment on myself. Earning my license will be one of the greatest accomplishments of my life!

My advice to anyone considering a cosmetology career is this: you've got to love it and want it. If you do, you will be able and willing to deal with the "nasty attitudes," difficult customers, etc. Personally for me, I deal with nasty attitudes at my corporate job anyway. Your hands do not have to stay wet all day because in many salons, you can have someone shampoo your customers for you. The money potential is unlimited. It all depends on what direction you go in. Think outside the box. Being a stylist does NOT have to mean being behind a chair all the time.

I approach my impending cosmetology career with lots of hope and excitement, as well as a touch of fear at making a drastic career change. But cosmetology is my talent and love and I know and trust that I will be extremely successful and happy in such a career.

Such encouraging words! Now you really have me thinking about it again. I truely taught I was a strong person, but eventually I let the opinions of my family get the best of me...:ohwell: I'm still thinking about it tho, and yes I have been thinking outside the box and I know there are other options than doing basic styling everyday, for example specializing in weaves can be extremely lucrative...but like you said you've got to do it for the love not the $$$.

divinefavor

I have thought about becoming a stylist but for my own hair and maybe for a couple of friends. I really don't want to do hair for a living. However, I would love to learn how to clip my ends and do different hair cuts/styles though.

keke

I myself, would like to turn over to doing hair at home for just family and friends. It would be more comfortable for me and the customer. I price things how 'i' want to and can talk freely w/them w/out someone else getting all in.

PeopleTalkDaily

I just wanted to bump this thread..

I have been thinkin' a lot lately about hair..
For years I have always wanted to attend school to learn to care for my hair and my familes. I don't want to get a license to wrk in a salon I would like to do a few ppl's hair out of my house..I have friends that are stylist and have asked them to teach me some things but they haven't I think they just wanted me to always need them to do it..

Ppl have told me that's a waste but readin this thread doesn't make me feel it's a waste, I think it's an investment..Imagine how much money I could save on my children's head alone leaving this trade..I mean just add up how much money you have spent on going to the salon in a years time caring for your hair alone..

Just wanted some other views

Mz.Shug

What a coincidence.....well don't really believe in those but it sounded good typing it. I was actually looking up schools in my area a few days ago.Going to a salon the first time I noticed that no one in there had healthy hair...alot of them had bad weaves and the ones that had SL hair it was all ragedy. Got me thinkin' "if I can grow my hair long,healthy and strong then I have to pass it on." I'm not the best when it comes to rollersets, styling etc. But when I want to do something I do it. I can learn anything if i really want to and so my promise remains. If I can grow my hair I'm going to become a stylist.

PeopleTalkDaily

Thanks for responding, chica..
I am really thinking about doing this..

I want to learn all I can apply it and pass it on to my daughter..