Best method for hiding my hair for 6 months

Which protective style works best when growing out hair?

• Lacefronts

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • Wigs

Votes: 108 39.0%
  • Weaves (sew-in)

Votes: 91 32.9%
  • Other

Votes: 89 32.1%

• Total voters

tycoles

I need to get off my daily flat iron regimen if I am going to grow my hair out. The problem is I have nl hair, and can not clip/bun because of the length. What's better? Weaves (sew-ins), wigs, or lf? What's your experience using these methods to grow out your hair?

lilsparkle825

i have never used a lace front (i'm in college for goodness sake, that is TOO much money) but i want one so bad. i would go that route if i were you, and i would get a regular wig if not the lacefront. i had a bad experience with a sew-in from neglecting my hair so don't ask me about that, lol

nicey

I started out wearing braids in the beginning of my transitioning stages, but the edges of my hair started thinning. It took me months to finally grow it back. Some people can wear braids with no problems. I started getting used to wearing wigs just a few months ago and my hair has gotten thicker and healthier because I don't touch it.

Ediese

I'm in a sew-in now that I'm keeping in for 6 months. I'm going on my 4th month in June. Everyone's hair is different. I've never experienced any problems with sew-ins. I kept it in last year around this time for five months. I think it's recommended that you only leave them in for 6-8 weeks at a time.

ajacks

I"m partial to sew-ins. I only keep them in for 8-weeks at a time. I let my stylist do all the take downs and I have not lost any progress, only the naturally shedded hairs.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I say just go ahead and get a sew in. That way your hair will be hidden for a few months and you won't have to worry about it. People tend to get frustrated and do crazy things (like cut off their hair :eek: ) when they're in those inbetween phases. We don't want that now, do we? :lol:

MizAvalon

I would go with wigs or braids. Braids would probably be so fun right now since Summer is coming up.

Chameleonchick

I have tried two ways before, weaves (sew in) and braids. Both were pretty sucessful, but I prefer braids because I can wash them as much as I want to.

RegaLady

Sew ins are nice. I still manage to take care of my hair underneath, and I love the variety. Make sure you find someone to install them well(not too tight, etc). Some women can do it, but I never recommend leaving anything on your hair attached for more than 6 -8 weeks! I personally like this route!

Wigs are great, because you can co wash and do everything, and slap on a wig and go. However, you can be watching the pot, if you know what I mean. I found this route the extreme healthiest, and problem free.

Braids always took my edges out. I think they are good also. Haven't been back to the braider in almost 4
Lacefronts make me nervous because there is something you do with your edges. I am not sure. Also I still want that interaction with my hair.:perplexed

LiqueXX

I have used braids in the past and might do so again for the summer. I have also thought about 1/2 wigs, maybe cornrolling most of my hair (leaving the front out) but I am still deciding between the two.

tycoles

Thanks for the responses ladies. I am leaning more towards the sew in. I have really weak edges so I don't think braids would work for me. My issue with the lf is all that glue, and getting someone to teach me how to put it in.

kelkel

I have done all four

with weaves: It made my hair thin due to not being able to properly moisturize... its a catch 22... I wore a net because I didn't want the wefts fully sewn to my hair...but by wearing a net I couldn't fully get to my scalp or hair.

lacefront: It was my fault, the glue took out my edges because I wasn't patient enough to take my time taking it off. The Lace fronts look good -- but they are hard work and the adhesives and everything else can be time consuming -- I couldn't imagine taking care of my hair and the upkeep and application of a lacefront.

Braids: they thin out my edges....but I just think my hair is extra sensitive.

Half wigs/ BSS wigs: I think they are the best if you want to look cute while hiding your hair and keeping up with your regimen. my hair is natural 4a that doesn't want to blend with anything..... so with the half wigs I just get my hair cornrolled underneath or wear plaits and I gel my edges down with IC Fantasia gel and castor oil.... I have different colored head bands to match with all of my outfits.... I throw on a head band put my half wig on with my baby hairs showing and I am good to go.

PureSilver

SEWINS ARE MY VERY BEST FRIENDS FOR LENGTH RETENTION, GROWTH AND HIDING MY HAIR. Need i say more? I'VE WORN A WIG BEFORE BUT IT WAS TOO MUCH TO HANDLE, I WAS ALWAYS TEMPTED TO WATCH THE POT BOIL AND AT TIMES DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME TO WASH EVERY 2 WKS SO I PREFER TO STICK TO SEWINS THAT I CAN KEEP IN FOR A MUCH LONGER TIME WHILE I CAN STILL OIL MY SCALP WITH MY FAVORITE GROWTH AID.

RegaLady

Also with sew ins, you can use spray moisturizers between the braids, and just pour leave in conditioners, and saturate your braids underneath. This left my real hair soft and moisturized. Using oil around your hairline also keeps the braids or weave from pulling. Just get the right person. The last girl I went to tried to use a fine tooth comb on my 4a/b hair! :shocked:I informed her to use a wider comb. I don't think I will be returning. :nono:There are ways to take care of a sew in, you just have to find out how.

Marand13

My best method involves anything with my hair braided/twisted. Right now its a lacefront with my hair braided around my head underneath.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Since I got onto the low manipulation and protective styling bandwagon, I braid my hair and cover it in different headwraps. Its been about 3mths now and it helps with breakage and retaining my length. I never have bad hair days anymore.

Lady Esquire

Thanks for the responses ladies. I am leaning more towards the sew in. I have really weak edges so I don't think braids would work for me. My issue with the lf is all that glue, and getting someone to teach me how to put it in.

Hey Tycoles. This is what I was gonna ask you: what is the condition of your edges. Since you say you have weak edges, maybe you can try what I did at NL. For me, weaves and braids put a major strain on my edges. When I was your length:
  • I washed and DC'd frequently, sometimes more than once a week,
  • Wet wrapped, sat under hooded dryer on medium heat, or airdried with a scarf, then
  • Styled my hair with Caruso Steam Rollers (which can be used daily because steam is safe heat).
My hair thrived and I did this until it grew long enough to fit into a ponytail. Also, you can buy soft rollers to set your hair nightly, that way you do not have to wash as often, or use the Carusos, as often.

Half wigs/ BSS wigs: I think they are the best if you want to look cute while hiding your hair and keeping up with your regimen. my hair is natural 4a that doesn't want to blend with anything..... so with the half wigs I just get my hair cornrolled underneath or wear plaits and I gel my edges down with IC Fantasia gel and castor oil.... I have different colored head bands to match with all of my outfits.... I throw on a head band put my half wig on with my baby hairs showing and I am good to go.

I was gonna mention half wigs too. But some ladies on here have mentioned that they experienced stress on the edges with these too. The best advice I got regarding half wigs was to alternate them with other styles. On week 1, off week 2, so on...to give your hairline a break.

I've been wearing braids and sew ins for like the past ten months. While they have been doing fine for my hair, I am about to try lacefronts. With lacefronts I feel that I will be able to pay more attention to my hair because with the braids and sew ins I always seem to slack off of caring for my natural hair.

Growing my hair out w/ braids has never been an issue and my hair has grown out considerably long and thick. But currently I changed it up a bit and started wearing full sew in weaves to continue growing out my hair. So far the results have been good and my hair is still growing strong.

Pheonixx

>>>Phoenixx Chants: Sew-ins! Sew-ins! Sew-ins!<<<<

Ok I'm a sew-in, girl.:yep:
Just bought the hair today as a matter of fact.
$129.00 for some dayum weave....I'm still kicking myself because I just bought all this dayum henna and amla powder about $70 worth! >>>sigh<<
It's ridiculous the things I do for my hair. But hey---looking good is not an option.
My hair has to be on point. Period... :grin:

Anyway--I'm about to go into one this Sunday and I'll keep it in for 2-3 months.
Wash, DC conditon, maybe a henna treatment, clip the ends maybe and jump right back into one. I couldn't keep a sew-in for 6 months straight though.

I've just never met a wig I liked.
Lacefronts....I've never tried before.
Y'know....it'd seem that a Lacefront would be better for the hair. Because there's no manipulation of the natural hair really. You just secure the hair, measure the netting, slap the lacefront on and glue the sides down.

Drawback: The hair is expensive. But, I mean it has to be a good quality in order to lay right.

Last edited:

tycoles

Hey Tycoles. This is what I was gonna ask you: what is the condition of your edges. Since you say you have weak edges, maybe you can try what I did at NL. For me, weaves and braids put a major strain on my edges. When I was your length:
  • I washed and DC'd frequently, sometimes more than once a week,
  • Wet wrapped, sat under hooded dryer on medium heat, or airdried with a scarf, then
  • Styled my hair with Caruso Steam Rollers (which can be used daily because steam is safe heat).
My hair thrived and I did this until it grew long enough to fit into a ponytail. Also, you can buy soft rollers to set your hair nightly, that way you do not have to wash as often, or use the Carusos, as often.

I was gonna mention half wigs too. But some ladies on here have mentioned that they experienced stress on the edges with these too. The best advice I got regarding half wigs was to alternate them with other styles. On week 1, off week 2, so on...to give your hairline a break.

My edges are very thin, and a lot shorter than the rest of my hair. It seems all these methods have the potential to ruin my edges and that is a real concern for me. I do have the caruso but haven't used it in a long time. I will start using it again.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to my post.

P

patient1

My edges are finer than the rest of my hair too so I understand your dilemma. If your hair is relaxed, could you wear a half wig with the front out in a sort of fringe bang? It looks cute in my imagination. lol! You could still wear headbands, etc. but you wouldn't put tension on the areas of your hair that need the gentlest care. Just a thought.

I wish I had the gumption to wear a wig, but I've never done that or lacefronts.

I have done braids. I recommend self-braiding if you can in order to control the tension.

I haven't worn sew-ins either, but I've done one for someone else before. She wore it for a month or so and went we took it down her hair was in great shape and she had a ton of new growth. I think the key is the key is to care for the hair and scalp on the regular: lightly oil the scalp and spritz the hair as often as you can. You can whip up your own spritz or use something like Daily Doctor. Make sure the foundation braids are not too tight and your hair is well-moisturized before the wefts are installed.

hth,
p1

p1

Aggie

My edges are very thin, and a lot shorter than the rest of my hair. It seems all these methods have the potential to ruin my edges and that is a real concern for me. I do have the caruso but haven't used it in a long time. I will start using it again.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to my post.

Well maybe you should cornrow your natural hair and simply wear wigs if you are concerned about your edges. I did this for 2 years and got good results, even a lot of thickness.

Later I tried weaving and that ruined all the progress I made with my wigs and now I know weaving is not for me. I tried boxed braids and I liked those but I can't use them too often either. I will try the cornrowing again to wear with my wigs though.

AtlantaJJ

I am the lace front queen. I don't attach them, I use bobby pins, I luvre them!! Best protective style ever!

ETA: my edges have never been better, but again I don't attach my LF's I just bobby pin them to my hair and wig caps...I keep my edges well oiled with shea (shescentit.com temple balm, or castor oil)

AtlantaJJ

>>>Phoenixx Chants: Sew-ins! Sew-ins! Sew-ins!<<<<

Ok I'm a sew-in, girl.:yep:
Just bought the hair today as a matter of fact.
$129.00 for some dayum weave....I'm still kicking myself because I just bought all this dayum henna and amla powder about $70 worth! >>>sigh<<
It's ridiculous the things I do for my hair. But hey---looking good is not an option.
My hair has to be on point. Period... :grin:

Anyway--I'm about to go into one this Sunday and I'll keep it in for 2-3 months.
Wash, DC conditon, maybe a henna treatment, clip the ends maybe and jump right back into one. I couldn't keep a sew-in for 6 months straight though.

I've just never met a wig I liked.
Lacefronts....I've never tried before.
Y'know....it'd seem that a Lacefront would be better for the hair. Because there's no manipulation of the natural hair really. You just secure the hair, measure the netting, slap the lacefront on and glue the sides down.

Drawback: The hair is expensive. But, I mean it has to be a good quality in order to lay right.
I do this minus the glue..glue is bad for the edges, my edges grow down to my eybrows :laugh:

tycoles

I do this minus the glue..glue is bad for the edges, my edges grow down to my eybrows :laugh:

Wow, I didn't eve know this was possible. Definitely another option. I am having trouble finding someone to do a weave, so maybe this would work out better.