What's the longest you've kept your hair in a bun? How many days/ wks/ mos in a row?

Diva_Esq

:look: What's the longest you've gone bunning without wearing your hair out (or only wearing your hair out a handful of times or less)?

Anyone bun at one length and not wear their hair out until the next goal length (ex- start bunning when at SL and not wear their hair out until APL)?

I am SPECIFICALLY asking about BUNNING...not braids, or rollersets, or braidouts, or twistouts, or weave, or wigs...just BUNNING. :yep:

I am thinking about keeping my hair bunned until I reach APL, which is about 2 inches away. Wondering if it will speed up my retention any. :wallbash:

Right now my regimen is usually to co-wash daily or every other day & wet bun or dry bun if it's the every other day for 7-10 days straight then wear my hair out (flat ironed) for 4-5 days, repeat. When I wear it out/ flat ironed, I only use heat on that first day to blow dry & flat iron, then I wrap the rest of the time.

TIA ladies for your responses!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Re: What's the longest you've kept your hair in a bun? How many days/ wks/ mos in a r

I have bunned every single day for the past 2 years! Only time I take it out is to moisturize, wash days and for special occasions where I did a rollerset.

ETA: I started bunning when I was at NL. I'm now a little over APL (won't claim untill I'm full APL)

Last edited:

BellaLunie

Re: What's the longest you've kept your hair in a bun? How many days/ wks/ mos in a r

:bump::bump: I've been thinking of this too

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

The longest for me was 5 months and I got great growth. I think bunning is the best ps period. I'm currently on a 3 week break from buns because I had been bunning since June/July and missed my hair, but I'll be back in buns after thanksgiving until APL.

Diva_Esq

The longest for me was 5 months and I got great growth. I think bunning is the best ps period. I'm currently on a 3 week break from buns because I had been bunning since June/July and missed my hair, but I'll be back in buns after thanksgiving until APL.

I'm thinking about bunning until NYE or Christmas, wearing it out for that special occasion, then bunning until APL.

Sidenote: 50 lbs down...AWESOME! Congrats! :yep:

Thanks for responding. How much length did you gain in that 5 months of straight bunning?

I agree, bunning is the best PS and it's so easy & fits pretty much any setting.

Bene

I bun every day. I've bunned my hair every day since I was about 13.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're talking of bunning and then leaving that one bun in for an extended period of time? I don't think I could do that. I take my bun down several times a day to rearrange it, comb, detangle, whatever. And I don't sleep in a bun. For the most part, I make a loose braid.

mzsophisticated26

Your bunning method sounds like how I do it. I wear a bun about 10-12 days then wear my hair for 5days after I blow dry/flat iron. Then I wear a half wig 3days and back to bunning. My problem is I get tired of the same look quickly

Diva_Esq

I bun every day. I've bunned my hair every day since I was about 13.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're talking of bunning and then leaving that one bun in for an extended period of time? I don't think I could do that. I take my bun down several times a day to rearrange it, comb, detangle, whatever. And I don't sleep in a bun. For the most part, I make a loose braid.

:yep: You're reading it wrong. lol

I take my bun down everyday as described in my part about my regimen of co-washing daily. Then I re-bun. I meant how many consecutive days/ months/ weeks have you gone with just wearing bun styles and not wearing your hair out/ down. What kind of length retention did this provide? Has anyone ever bunned daily from NL to SL or SL to APL or APL to BSL (bunning until you reach your next length goal).

Thanks for the info about your regimen. :)

Right on time for me. I just started sticking to bunning. Will do at least through the end of the year. Co-wash every morning, add a little coconut oil and bun it up.

Sleep with my hair in two braids and do it all over in the morning. It would be awesome if I could do it at least until next summer, when I hope to be MBL and done with the growing process!!

cch24

Right on time for me. I just started sticking to bunning. Will do at least through the end of the year. Co-wash every morning, add a little coconut oil and bun it up.

Sleep with my hair in two braids and do it all over in the morning. It would be awesome if I could do it at least until next summer, when I hope to be MBL and done with the growing process!!

this is exactly what i do, except i put he ltr on my hair to bun, and then at night before i put my hair in two braids i moisturize with conditioner and coconut oil. i've been bunning since january and have worn my hair down i would say 10-15 days this year. my hair went from almost apl to now almost mbl.

bestblackgirl

I have been wearing a bun for the past 3 years. And I've only wear my hair out about 15 days or less during the past 3 years.

I started wearing bun in 2006 bc my hair broke off from APL to top of shoulder when I went away to college my freshman year and I got depressed. Then I found LHCF in summer 2007 and lurked till Dec 2008. I continued wearing my bun bc I found it is beneficial. And I am paranoid that my hair is snapping when I wear it out

Fhrizzball

I think I may try that. I just get paranoid about the manipulation of messing with my strands loose when I remoisterize and bunning with scrunchies. I guess I should go and do my bun research now. I remember awhile back about a member that got from SL to WS or so by bunning.

Diva_Esq

this is exactly what i do, except i put he ltr on my hair to bun, and then at night before i put my hair in two braids i moisturize with conditioner and coconut oil. i've been bunning since january and have worn my hair down i would say 10-15 days this year. my hair went from almost apl to now almost mbl.

ok, y'all have me sold! And I do the HE HH, Yes to Carrots and coconut oil/ EVOO! Love it!! :grin:

I'm bunning with my hair out 1 weekend a month & on the 24th of each month for my length checks only until I reach APL...then I'll take pics and continue bunning until summer. Hoping to make this transition fly by and retain lots of length!
:yep:

Tybi

Back in high school I experienced severe breakage and my stylist suggested bunning my hair up. She did a chignon using added hair. I started out SL, and I would leave the bun up for 2 WEEKS at a time, no washing no combing, nothing. After 2 weeks, I would go back to her for a wash and she would put it back up. I did this 3 times for a total of 6 weeks of non-stop bunning. I went from SL to just above APL.

I have never experienced growth like that again. It wasn't that my hair grew any faster, just better retention. Its hard not to be able to wash or brush your hair for 2 weeks at a time, but I may need to revisit this to achieve BSL.

ilah

From 12 years old my main style has always been pulled back into a bun. I rarely wore my hair down, just because it was too much of a pain in the butt to do it any other way (i'm lazy) - But I think the longest time i've worn my hair in a bun was 3-4 days straight (that's with not taking the bun down at night and only spraying it and wrapping a scard over it at night)

classychic1908

I've been bunning since june or july and have only worn my hair out in a wash n go maybe 5 times since then... I've gone from just past APL to BSB. I moisturize and put my hair in a loose bun with a satin scrunchie at night. Cowash only once a week and detangle on wash day with my fingers. I do use a soft brush on my edges to smooth my hair in the mornings. I plan to bun until I reach my goal and flat iron or wear wash n go's only on special occassions.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.

This year, I wore buns straight for three months at a time, twice. It works out well for me in the spring/summer, but it's harder in the fall/winter because I use more heat and I wear my hair down more. I'll probably do it again this spring/summer; I retained two and a half good inches from those six months of bunning after a 1/2 inch trim when I got my last touch up. Next touch up (end of December) I should see the last inch or so I hope to get this year.

Fhrizzball

There should be a bunning challenge for 2010'

Just putting that out there...

I'm taking out my braids early so I can get started on bunning. They've been looking really frizzxy and bad looking so it's about time. At what length was everyone able to start bunning? I hope my hair is long/elastic enough to take it.

Jenibo

I'm scared to sleep in my buns because of my edges. They are really sensitive and i even had to stop using gel. I remember back in highschool i woke up to brush my hair back into my trusty ponytail and my edges were GONE! There was about half an inch to work with and even then i slapped on globs of gel, brushed back, and tried the scarf method but to no avail :nono:

Maybe i can take the ponytail holder off at night?

Diva_Esq

I've been bunning since june or july and have only worn my hair out in a wash n go maybe 5 times since then... I've gone from just past APL to BSB. I moisturize and put my hair in a loose bun with a satin scrunchie at night. Cowash only once a week and detangle on wash day with my fingers. I do use a soft brush on my edges to smooth my hair in the mornings. I plan to bun until I reach my goal and flat iron or wear wash n go's only on special occassions.

Thank you for your response! That's great progress in under 6 months! :yep:

Diva_Esq

I'm taking out my braids early so I can get started on bunning. They've been looking really frizzxy and bad looking so it's about time. At what length was everyone able to start bunning? I hope my hair is long/elastic enough to take it.

I'm between SL and APL. The shortest I've ever cut my hair to is chin length, and I wasn't into bunning then, so I've only bunned on SL or longer hair. Sorry.

Fine 4s

wet set bun - 1 week
bun on dry hair post twist out - 3

Diva_Esq

I'm scared to sleep in my buns because of my edges. They are really sensitive and i even had to stop using gel. I remember back in highschool i woke up to brush my hair back into my trusty ponytail and my edges were GONE! There was about half an inch to work with and even then i slapped on globs of gel, brushed back, and tried the scarf method but to no avail :nono:

Maybe i can take the ponytail holder off at night?

I usually do pretty sleek buns during the day, so at night, I let them loose and sleepy with my hair in a silk scarf. I am going to try to do 2 loose braids or twists at night now, still w/ a silk scarf.

I don't use gel anymore. Once I start wearing it curly after my transition, I will try ecostyler w/ a moisturizer underneath. For my edges, I use only Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Water-based Wax and it is WONDERFUL! :drool: Soft, no flakes, washes out easily & great hold. And it's inexpensive and easy to find at any Target, Walgreens, CVS.

Good luck! HHG! :)

Saffirejuiliet

The longest I have kept my hair in a bun was a week. Of course, after the week is over I have tons of shed hair, but it is worth it.

sqzbly1908

So Diva - will you be rockin' the bun in your siggy? I really like that look!

I too have been thinking about this and think I would like to do this and just wear my hair out/down for special occasions. I have one of those fake buns (have not mastered how to but my own hair..lol)

panamoni

Think I'm going to do this as well -- bun until my next relaxer retouch, then repeat.

shandaw

I have been rocking a bun since July and that was when I found about healthy hair care. So it's 4 months for me, I take it down at night mostiurze and seal then I put it in a loose ponytail and put on my satin bonnet and go to bed.

meecee

I bunned all the way from APL to MBL. Thats about 2 years. I've trimmed several inches in between that time.

dicapr

You should start one. I inquired about a bunning challenge a few weeks ago.