BIG CHOP vs. TRANSITION

BC or Transition ???

• I'd chop it.

Votes: 171 34.7%
  • I'd continue to transition until I reach my goal length.

Votes: 322 65.3%

• Total voters

FRESHstart101

what made me feel okay to BC was the fact that i had
a weave in for about 5 months so i became less attached
to my relaxed ends through that process. if it wasnt for
that weave i would have still would have went with my
original plan: to snip off a few inches whenever i took
out my weave of choice.

yvonne123

Yes!!! Good for you! I don't know, but it's such a personal feeling of doing something good for myself by going natural! I started my transition November 2009 , did one mini chop (2 inches) six months into my transistion...Thanksgiving day I chopped off six inches..I'm all natural!!!!! No breakage in the sink when I comb my hair!!!

keepithealthy

It would depend on how I wanted to wear my hair the majority of the time. If I was pressing/wearing it straight, I would keep the relaxed ends until goal, then chop.
If I was wearing wash & go's/curly styles, I'd do the chop now.

I agree with JustKiya:yep:

diadall

A coworker of mine started transitioning her hair. It is growing like crazy she doesn't want to cut the relaxed ends. Her natural hair is about SL but the relaxed ends make her hair nearly MBL.

I was shocked on Friday when she told me she was going to get a relaxer over the MLK holiday. I told her that I am sure her hair will look great either way and she has to do what is best for her (I am telling the truth). She said that natural hair isn't going to be for her if she has to cut her hair. She said she didn't think her face was pretty enough to carry short hair (which I took as a compliment to me but low self esteem for her.)

I guess some people do not continue to transition if they don't big chop, either way i think if you really want to be natural, you will find a way to get there whether you big chop or transition.

I personally didn't have the patience for transitioning (I hated seeing two textures).

ETA: I know this thread is from two years ago but I remembered seeing it a few weeks ago and had no place to add my thoughts so I added them here.

Last edited: