BIG CHOP vs. TRANSITION

BC or Transition ???

• I'd chop it.

Votes: 171 34.7%
  • I'd continue to transition until I reach my goal length.

Votes: 322 65.3%

• Total voters

BrockStar

I say you should just transition until you reach a nice length. For starters you are use to longer lengths of hair and just chopping it off can be too drastic. Also you curls coils and kinks wont be as stretched and elongated as when you have relaxed hair weighing it down. This means once you cut that hair is going to rise up, look short, and is going to poof out. And what are you going to do on bad hair days? Those 5 inches may not be enough to pull back into a ponytail.

I've bc'd with about 3 inches of new growth and the dude cut off all of it. I had less than an inch after the hacking. I hid my short natural hair so many days because I looked like a boy, I had very little styling options and natural hair wasnt as easy as it seems. Im now relaxed and once again transitioning. I wish I would have waited. I could have mid back length by now with strong strands.

But in the end it is all up to you. Its not going to harm you by waiting but once you cut it its gone. You know you can grow it back but who wants to wait that long.

Southerntease:
If you take my advice you would have to be prepared for the bolded, but it's a part of the bc process...you get used to it :grin:

schipperchow1

I voted, keep the length. That's what I've done. If you can manage the 2 textures with minimal breakage, why cut it if length is your primary objective? If the 2 textures become too much for you or styling no longer works, then go for a mini trim.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I voted no BC.
I'm 6 months behind you and I feel the exact same way, lenght first and then worrying about the cutting afterwards.
I have a friend who transitioned, or is still transitioning, and her hair is BSL and she kept her length by any means necessary and her hair is gorgeous.
I'd rather deal with two textures than not having the lenght.

Chameleonchick

Hey if you've never been that length before, I would do the big chop after you get to the desired length, you will have a great sense of accomplishment. Good luck keep working with your hair it is beautiful!

Mandy4610

So... you may or may not know
I am 1 year into my transition
I have about 5" of natural hair
and about 5" inches of relaxed hair
No scissors have come near my head
in over a year...
My first goal is to reach BSL-MBL
I will reach that goal by January 2009
My plan is to stay away from scissors
at least until January 2009.
Length is my first priority
being 100% natural is the second.
My question to you is...
if you had 5" of new growth & 5" of relaxed hair
would you BC or continue to transition until you
reach your goal?

I love your hair, it looks so healthy. I recently acquired a TWA, I guess my answer is BC. If my hair had been in better shape, I would have been more open to transitioning.

mrs.shakira

I was almost APL and cut to a little past ear length. I did it for motivation in the transition process. Had I kept my long hair I would have slapped a perm in it like I always do, but I wish I would have waited and kept the length.

SouthernTease

Yeah... I did BC in July... my hair is back to where it was...
and I hope to reach APL by January...
I have a really long neck and torso... so that's a big feat for me
since I've been growing out for nearly 2 years.

doll-baby

It seems like you are holding on to the relaxed part of your hair for the sake of length if this makes you more comfortable during your transition then don't cut it. It seems like you know what you are doing since you don't have any breakage . Keep doing what you're doing :)

BostonMaria

It seems like you are holding on to the relaxed part of your hair for the sake of length if this makes you more comfortable during your transition then don't cut it. It seems like you know what you are doing since you don't have any breakage . Keep doing what you're doing :)

Actually she already cut it 5 months ago. I had to cut my relaxed ends for the same reason, I was in love with the length. I think that if you hold on to the relaxed ends too long it can hinder your growth.

PuffyBrown

Girly

Your natural hair is so beautiful, I would just flaunt those georgeous curls and cut off the straight ends.

However, mademoiselle this is your hair and I am just offering my opinion cause you asked. Whatever you decide is the right answer.

firecracker

Southerntease your natural hair is gorgeous and in great condition. I see you did cut off the permed hair. I agee with PuffyBrwn about rocking your natural curls. I'm sure transitioning was kinda hard as well as time consuming. What are you doing with your hair these days as for as styles?

oldcrayons

I don't get the point of growing it and then chopping it. Just chop it off. Plus, it looks kinda weird because there's 5" of curly hair and 5" of natural.

firecracker

I don't get the point of growing it and then chopping it. Just chop it off. Plus, it looks kinda weird because there's 5" of curly hair and 5" of natural.
:rolleyes: How do you figure? If she is flat ironing no one would be the wiser of the two hair types. Its alot of points lot of us don't understand or get. Its her transition, her hair...... You are aware this is an old thread and she chopped it 5 months ago right?

crazydaze911

I know she chopped already, but this is still a big/good subject. My hair looks similar the way hers did when wet but when flatironed it looks just fine - see siggy.
also - i do agree - depends on the person - its their hair. i plan to hold on to mine as long as possible and wont be doing any more trimming than i would have done on a full head of one texture...

luxe.li.

I say BC only because it was easier maintenance for me. I didn't want my hair to break off, and it had started to do so in the middle of my head. And me I just have no patience. So I just chopped it all off. My goal is to get natural and it wasn't for length. Now that I'm natural I want length!

kedda0720pooh

I would do the bc because at some point you will cut the relax hair off and why not release that tention between the two textures ahead of time. Maybe it will grow faster once it's one full texture. good luck an your decision.

MrJohnsonsRib

I chose for you to chop it cause it would allow you to only have natural hair ot deal with and not worry about taming those relaxed ends however if you are okay with them so far then hey, to each his own. :thumbsup: Be blessed!

supermodelsonya

As long as you know how to properly maintain your hair without doing a BC then by all means go for it. I wouldn't personally attempt that with my 4b hair. It wouldn't work for me lol.

PrettyBrwnGrl

I've been transitioning for prolly about 2 years now, and I just HATE the ends that are still relaxed....you can definitely tell when i have the wash and go style because my whole head will be nice and curly and then the ends are straight...doesn't look to good, but I didn't want to chop. You should do what's best for you, but I'd probably wait until i get to my desired length!:grin:

honeisos

I trans for 8 months .. I couldn't take it anymore ... I was so much happier with my hair after I cut off the old hair ..... those few inches of relaxer hair will grow back in no time

Austro-Afrikana

I'm doing exactly what you're doing. I've also got 5inches natural and 5inches relaxed but after 7months. I too didn't start off knowing that i wanted to transition, It started off as a stretch.
Length is also my priority...when i get to bsl i will trim every month until the relaxed ends are gone. I've never had length so there is no way i'm cutting, but the relaxed ends do get on my nerves when my hair is wet and i see those lovely curls...i say carry on coz after all, length comes first to you

Renewed1

I only been transitioning for about a month and I'm thinking about chopping this stuff off. But I'm going to try and wait until July and decide then.