BIG CHOP vs. TRANSITION

BC or Transition ???

• I'd chop it.

Votes: 171 34.7%
  • I'd continue to transition until I reach my goal length.

Votes: 322 65.3%

• Total voters

MummysGirl

If I have that much new growth on or before 1 year, I'll BC... to me that's a really nice starting length as a natural!

Skiggle

I am actually getting
sick of wearing
braids and twists
in my hair...
I'm not sure when
to BC.. I just know
the summer
is coming up
and I don't want to chop
just yet....
Most likely i would BC with
that 5 inches...
that's alot of GROWTH!!!:grin:

Soliel185

You have to remember though that the 5" will start to shrink as soon as you cut the relaxed ends off - depending on your texture it'll look more like 2-3"

That's part of the reason why I didn't BC...but I think as it gets warmer I'll get closer to just wanting to be done with it.

godsflowerrr

I just did the big chop because I was just being impatient. The fun part about doing the big chop is that fact that you can experiment with different styles as your hair goes through its different phases..it has been so mch fun for me but it is definitely not for everyone.

Creatividual

Yeah, I think it just depends on the person. I started out on board for an 18 month transition (yikes!) but I got too excited and too impatient so 7 months in I did the BC. You just do what's right for you. I've never had hair this short but I'm having so much fun with it!

BrooklynSouth

SouthernTease has done it so I think I can hold on for a few more months. So discouraged last poo combing out two 3 inch pieces of relaxed hair. Most times I am good without a strand lost but the times I get the breakage is :sad:. I sighed and wondered why the heck don't I just chop those ends off?

snickieb

I just did the BIG CHOP August 9,2009. I have been transitioning since January and its a lot of work. I had a set back and relaxed my hair, therefore I realized the only logical solution was to cut out all the relaxer so there's no turning back, and I feel so good about it! Can't wait to see the changes as it grows! :yep:

Jewell

I know this is an older thread, and many of the ladies who replied have BC'd themselves, but just do what feels right for you. For me I transitioned 13 mos and then BC'd because I got sick and tired of the two textures. I immediately regretted it once I started cutting. But, I did enjoy learning about my natural hair. Now in the future I will transition without the BC if I ever decide to go natural again (I know I will at some point). I'll just gradually trim. Going from having shoulder length and longer hair nearly all my life as a pressed natural and a relaxed head, it was utter culture shock to have only 3-4 inches of shrunken hair! :ohwell:

Last edited:

Taina

I hate transitions, i think is difficult and hard t manage two different textures, besides my hair starts to breack and fall when it reachs the 2 inches of NG. In the case that i could be one year transitioning, i think my hair will be long enough to chop it, and then keep taking good care of it to reach my goals, but i think is easier to reach that lenght if you have just one texture and a healthy heair.

dragongirlmk09

how it looks in the picture i would just go ahead and bc without those relaxed ends weighing your hair down then they won't tangle with your other hair but i have to say your hair is really cute i hope when i grow out my relaxed hair it looks like that.

drea_b

For me dealing with the two textures was not much of a battle for me, length was more my issue. I think once ur new growth is at a length you're comfortable with (keep in mind to factor in skrinkage) i would say bc.. if not then keep on w/the transition. Right now my new growth stretched is APL, but with 2 inches of relaxed hair still hangin on in most places it skrinks to right above my shoulders and will skrink more when i cut the ends off

amb04a

I feel the same a drea_b. New growth isnt really a problem for me. I LOVE braidouts that blend the textures. Before I started transitioning, I wore straight hair everyday, but now I'm exploring other options that work well with new growth.

It seems like have a TWA is more limiting.

Miss Toya

Your growth progress is good and as long as things look healthy--forget about a big chop, continue to transition; it seems to be working well for you.:spinning:

Janet'

I transitioned for almost 2 years because I didn't want to lose the length that I had...It was trying at times, but I do not regret it at all!

Rikku

When I had my only relaxer around...14 I didn't like the way it looked from the time I got home from the salon and went straight back to braids after that, it was easier for me since I wasn't use to wearing my hair out anyways. >.< Plus I think my hair would be alot shorter now if I had done that for some reason =S

TeeDee66

Please chop your hair so it can grow healthy. Holding on to straight ends may cause damage. In addition, your hair will be thicker and grow faster.

LadyRaider

If you are wearing it straight anyway... might as well keep the length.

I haven't been wearing mine straight. But I have been braiding it in one or two french braids and bunning. I need to keep what length I have to do those things.

juicy555

Doh. who is the stinker who brought this thread back from the grave?

:lachen:LOL! I'm going through a year transition and this old thread is actually helping me answer the same questions the original (what was her name? lol) poster had. Experiencing major breakage, but don't want to let go of length for practical reasons.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
^^^ I've gone natural three times in my adult life by Big Chopping, essentially going bald. At this stage in my life, I don't want to BC. I've been gradually cutting off inches. This past weekend, I did decide to BC from BSL to SL due to major damage from managing the two textures. What a world of difference!! I'm still about 50% relaxed, but my ends look 100% better and healthier. The other piece of good news is that I found a stylist who is nursing my hair. I get the BKT done every 2 or 3 months, cutting off relaxed ends gradually. My goal is to be 100% natural by my 40th birthday next year.

Kindheart

Yeah, ditto on that.
If my hair isn't in a bun
it's flat ironed.
I'm really into this twist bun I've been rocking
I do 2 strand twist and put it up into
a bun... it is hard dealing with the tangles
and matting but I manage... I feel like if I've
come this far... what's another year
I didn't start out wanting to be natural...
it was actually just an afterthought
I want the BSL more than anything
I don't understand why keep those flimsy ends thinly attached to healthy natural hair ?u either cut it or just relax the rest of your head,it doesn't make sense to be so attached to hair that might cause breakage and heat damage to the rest of your healthy hair for the sake of a few inches? You re at a good lenght now won't u be able to retain more lenght and decrease the chances of breakage.by cutting those ends off ?