For My Sistahs Who Are Relaxed and Loving It!!

AlliCat

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products?
Yes..my hair stayed at damaged neck length and shoulder length before 2007. I don't remember having a regimen...just used to use whatever was in the bathroom

2. Did you ever transition to natural? Nope. Happily I'm relaxed

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? Optimum no-lye every 12 weeks, give or take

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? my mom applies the relaxer and I do everything else

5. What's your regimen? I moisturize and/or oil my hair daily. Every week I prepoo then shampoo with something sulfate-free. I deep condition OR do a protein treatment with every shampoo. I co-wash often during the week. I clarify monthly to get rid of build up

MsLi@512

:wave::grin:

1. prior to my hhj, my crown and nape had broken really bad d/t a lady relaxing me bone straight at a salon. My hair is very delicate yet coarse and dry and I never got past NL because of breakage, and "trimming" by stylists for over 15+ years. I never knew to focus on moisture and handle hair carefully and apparently the stylist didn't either.

2. I transitioned back in 2005 for two years using sew ins. Same issue with dry, delicate hair and it broke right before reaching APL. The stylist I went to would comb my hair like it like she was raking a dayum lawn.

3.I use a mild relaxer. JFM-texture softener. Since I'm a DIYer. This gives me very consistent results and leaves me mad texture. Burning- a thing of the past. I just chelate two weeks after d/t the calcium hydroxide.

4. Haven't stepped foot in a salon in a year and am now touching APL with the thickest, healthiest head of hair I have ever experienced. If I ever let someone touch my hair it will be at a best cuts for a trim, when I can't reach my hair anymore.

5. regimen: low low manipulation. protective styling. Wash biwekly, d/c biweekly alternating light protein and moisture, oil rinsing each time ( it's not just for naturals, it knocks knots and tangles right out), henna when needed, moisturize daily. Then buns, braids,twists and leave it be. Heat every 3 months, maybe.

Last edited:

MsLi@512

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products?
In 2006, I got my first away-from-home relaxer at the hands of my mother's new stylist. I had bad scalp burns for the first time in my life...but I kept going. A couple years later I had a huge setback. I didn't properly detangle before one relaxer and ended up with a dreadlocked mess once the neutralizing process was finished. After detangling I had lost a considerable amount of length and thickness. There was a ball of hair the size of a small poodle sitting on the back of the sink.

2. Did you ever transition to natural?
No. I've considered it, but I really enjoy my relaxed hair.

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups?
I use Mizani Butter Blends Lye in Medium/Regular every 12 weeks. If there's one thing I'm grateful to my stylist for, it's introducing me to Mizani. Before her, my mother was using the store bought boxed no-lye on my head.

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax?
I went to the salon from 2006-2010. Before and after that I have relaxed at home by the only other person trusted in my head--my mom. Due to her "technique" my hair still has a bit of curl pattern left now, but I actually love it. My hair is sooo thick and full after a relaxer it's ridiculous.

5. What's your regimen?

1x a week pre-poo with Nutiva unrefined coconut oil. While letting this soak, I pre-part my hair in sections to wash and proceed to lightly detangle with my fingers and/or my wide tooth Hercules Sagemann.

1x a week shampoo with Organix Coconut Shampoo. Then rinse and apply Joico Deep Penetrating Reconstructor. After rinsing this, I apply my deep conditioner (hair still in the pre-parted sections) and either sit under the dryer for 30 minutes or lounge around the house for an hour with a cap and towel around my head. Right now I am DCing with SSI Avocado. Banana Brulee was my staple, but I get much more slip with Avocado and it smells better, so BB has been shelfed for the foreseeable future. :lol:

I detangle my hair after the conditioner has had a chance to do its work. Then I rinse and apply my leave in (SSI Coco Cream) and seal with Vatika Frosting. I typically braid my hair in 6-8 braids and airdry at this point. After a fresh relaxer I will use my blowdryer with comb attachment. This summer I am going to try to do airdryed rollersets.

During the week, I moisturize and seal twice a day. My daily moisturizer is Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongraass Transitioning Creme. I then seal with Hairveda Vatika Frosting which I have to stop myself from eating on a daily basis. I wear my hair down every day. The only time it goes up is if I am about to drive or lounging around the house. I am very happy with my retention, so I see no reason to hide my hair.

I half read your post due to drooling over your hair! *must focus:eye:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Just for the record, I'm natural. But my goal is to relax eventually. I'm trying to hold off until I reach APL........ But my questions for you ladies are:1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products?2. Did you ever transition to natural?3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups?4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax?5. What's your regimen?I'm thinking I'm going to use Phyto Index 2 when I do relax. Thanks ladies!!!

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? I was previously relaxed and it suffered at the hands of blowdryer happy stylist. Then I at times did not know how to take care of it on my own. Also trying to find a stylist that was not habitually late so I just gave up. It would grow but no retention because of lack of knowledge so chop to shoulder blade it went
2. Did you ever transition to natural? I tried transitioning but lack of knowledge caused me to chop it myself after a horrid wash day. I stood in the bathroom and chopped and then went to the salon so they could shape it. 4 months of transitioning and stayed natural for almost 2 years (Feb 2008-Sept 2009)
3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? Mizani BB LYE super (diluted for the front) straight up for the back. I dont relax bone straight. Relax every 12-14 weeks
4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? SELF RELAX FOR LIFE BABY!!!
5. What's your regimen? Shampoo with TJ's nourish spa and/or PM 3 shampoo wash 1x a week. DC 1x a month. protein 2x a month ( I rinse out, 1 medium). Moisturize as needed with a moisture only product and 1x a week a protein product. I don't seal because my products are loaded with oils.

bigbrowneyez

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? I've never had damage from a relaxer. I had damage early in my relaxer days from not knowing how to care for it.
2. Did you ever transition to natural? Nope, i relaxed at 18 so i'd had my natural days
3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? Affirm lye. I started out with no-lye but since the switch my hair is healthier and less dry. I've always gone about 10weeks without a relaxer, sometimes sooner. Im stretching longer tho. I'm at 13weeks post stretching until I feel like I wanna relax (maybe Dec when I'll hopefully be WL)
4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? I go to a salon now only to relax
5. What's your regimen?
I don't have a particular regimen. I do what my hair needs. That includes:
Shampoo with Joico moisture and/or Chi Silk Bath (works great when stretching, not with fresh relaxer). Cowash (2-3x a week when stretching) with Joico moisture conditioner and/or Bed Head moisture conditioner (can't remember name, but it's orange). I don't really deep condition with heat much (mostly cuz I'm lazy lol) but I do use ORS hair mayonnaise, Joico Treatment Balm or Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner 1x/mth. I moisturize with Neutrogena triple moisture silk leave-in and Rusk Smoothers leave-in. My regimen seems to be working just fine. I'm MBL almost WL. Hope that helps!!!

LaidBak

Great thread. Subbing...be back shortly to post answers.
I've been relaxed for about 31 years. My hair never got to full SL. it would scrape SL but then get raggedy on the ends from ponytail breakage and over moisturization. I knew only the basics of hair care and used drug store products. Sometimes my hair would look really good and full, but I didn't know how to keep it that way so I had constant setbacks.

2. Did you ever transition to natural?
I tried to, but I don't yet know how to deal with my NG. I do not have 3 texture hair. I suffered too much breakage from trying to transition.

I really have no preference. I've done everything from Super to Mild, box relaxer to BSS tubs to salon only relaxers to Phyto, lye to no lye. My hair doesn't care. I touch up when I can no longer stand my NG and my hair starts breaking-4 to 6 weeks.

Whatever is more convenient at the time.

5. What's your regimen?

Wash as needed--anytime my hair is dry, or overloaded with product, or just needs to be 'refreshed'. One to Three times a week.

Condition with protein or moisture as needed. If I use protein I always follow with moisture, but dont use heat.
If I plan to condition with heat, I skip the protein and use a moisture conditioner mixed with oils. Then I either sit under the dryer or the steamer. I CANNOT use protein with heat, it intensifies the effect too much.

I use liquid leave -ins, then creamy moisturizers, then a layer of oil on wash day. On a nightly basis I mist with liquid leave in and follow with a thin layer of oil. I treat with growth aides as needed. I apply something to my edges (JBCO, OCT, or emu/msm cream), and I apply a butter to my ends.

I just started using cassia again. I'm going for once a month, or about 3 weeks post relaxer.

Last edited:

Bnster

I started this hair journey because the back of my head of hair was badly broken and wouldn't grow. Everywhere else would grow except there, hence my HS kept my hair constantly short and complained about that spot.

I think it was because the relaxer may not be washed out properly there and the number one reason I didn't know how to take care of my relaxed hair. That area suffered the most.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? No.

Mizani Butter Blend - Medium. Relax every 3 to 4 months. Once 6 months.

Self relax since the beginning of this year!

5. What's your regimen?

Wash Day
Weekly wash (Wash in braids and use shower comb)
Prepoo with oils and detangle night b4 or day of (if day oil steam)
Shampoo
Protein treatment
DC condition (add rice bran oil (ceramide) and Alma to my conditioner Aveda DR). - Steam in DC mix
Porosity Control and/or ACV Rinse (Cold rinse)

Wash Day Leave-ins on damp hair
NTM, Keratin Mist, Pro-vitamin protein, Infusion 23 leave-in, Chi Silk Infusion, Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum).
Air dry or blow dry on cool.
If flat iron on 265 degrees, no higher. - Chase and comb method.

Daily leave-ins 2x a day. Dry hair.
NTM and my sealing oils.

Relaxer Regimen. (Sometimes half and half method, last time relaxed full head of hair at once).
1. Protect previous ends and relaxed hair.
2. Section off with clips to speed up process.
3. Mizani BB relaxer to hair (excluding nape my problem area) and await allotted time and rinse (5 mins w/warm water).
4. Light protein treatment (5mins) and rinse
5. Mizani BB honey conditioner alloted bottle time and rinse
6. Mizani BB Neutralizing shampoo sit (5 mins) and rinse. Repeat 3 times.
7. SAA and DC (Aveda DR) and oils sit (1/2hr to 1hr) and rinse
8a. Mizani BB moisturizer conditioner and rinse
8b. Depend on my feel of my hair may end with Aveda DR conditioner application & Rinse (leaving some conditioner in hair).
9. Porosity control rinse and then ACV rinse.

10. Apply wash day leave-ins above and style.

Protective style - hide ends basic hair pin up.
Sleep with satin pillow case and
Bag ends with daily leave-ins and sealant)
Protect hair at night with silk scarf.

ETA: I will either finger comb or comb only with moisturized hair.
If my hair feels a little off, I may switch up my leave-in with Beemine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer. And thanks to Nix08 I am trying Gleau as a sealant and Prairie naturals Badlands reconstructing treatment as light protein). I am loving both!

I try to do a hard protein once a month - Aphogee 2 step treatment).
To detangle I use NTM and Aloe Vera juice on my roots on my long stretches. Never miss a wash week if you stretch. It is a :nono: .

Last edited:

niqu92

i was natural all my life up until my senior yr of highschool.i prefer being relaxed much better because its quicker, easier, and i still feel like i have many style options: i can go curly with a braidout/twistout and if i want to go straight all i have to do is rollerset or blowdry.
i get touchups at the salon every 8-10 wks my stylist uses design essentials.
my regimen:
wash,DC,then rollerset once a week. moisturize every night with silicon mix leave-in and seal with argan,coconut, or jojoba oil. and thats pretty much it. Keeping my regimen simple so far is working for my hair
once summer comes around i'll be doing co-washes and braidouts

NYAmicas

Seeker
Just for the record, I'm natural. But my goal is to relax eventually. I'm trying to hold off until I reach APL........ But my questions for you ladies are:1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products?2. Did you ever transition to natural?3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups?4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax?5. What's your regimen?I'm thinking I'm going to use Phyto Index 2 when I do relax. Thanks ladies!!!

I've been relaxed since my teens. My hair suffered when I would self relax and not thoroughly wash it out or not maintain a proper moisture/protein balance before I learned thru LHCF and other hair boards. I never transitioned and dont plan to. I use whatever is on sale or whatever the ladies at the salon use; I dont go to salons that often but my hair is thick so they do a much better job at relaxing my new-growth than I do.

I dont have a set regimen yet, Good luck!

mochalocks

Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? I was relaxed before in my teens into early 20's then stopped because I wanted to, but never because my hair suffered.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? Yes. I had natural hair for 7 years.

3 & 4. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? I go to the salon every other month to relaxed. I use Optimum

5. What's your regimen?- every night I roller-set, or wrap my hair. I mostly roller set because I Like how my hair looks after I take them out. I wash my hair every 2 weeks at the salon. I use Avlon's KeraCare conditioning hairdress daily as a moisturizer.

Angelicus

Glad to see this thread still going strong! :weird:

1. Were you relaxed previously at some point and your hair suffered because of lack of hair care knowledge or using the wrong products? I've been relaxed since I was a child but didn't start taking care of it until I joined this board in 2003. That's when I stopped using No-lye relaxers, wearing protective styles, and deep conditioning regularly.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? No, but I have gone 6 months without relaxing several times. I just prefer to relax, as I like having straight hair. If I were natural, I'd be heat straightening my hair all the time and sure to have a bald head :lol:

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? I use Linange Shea Butter Relaxer. I purchase it from Sleekhair.com .

4. Do you go to a salon, or do you self relax? When I first started my hair journey, I was so scared to relax because I thought to myself "I am not a professional." Years later, I look back and wish I had always relaxed my own hair. I do a MUCH better job than all my other stylists did and my hair is longer, healthier, and softer.

5. What's your regimen? Very simple regimen, I wash 2x a week.

• Pre-treat with oil.
  • Clarify with Suave Clarifying Shampoo. I like to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo but it isn't necessary.
  • Deep Condition for at least 10 minutes, using a "twistie turbie" as a steamer: I saturate the turban with water and microwave it for 1 minute. It's then put over my shower cap-covered hair.
  • Rinse, apply leave-in and set hair.
  • I moisturize daily and most of the time seal with an oil.

I use mostly Silk Dreams products.

Lynnerie

:hiya:Angelicus
Anky its good to see you posting!

Yes back in high school/college days I wore nothing but braids then I'd take them out, relax with super only to put the braids back in. I was over processed. Badly. Then I found LHCF and got back on track.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? Yes I was natural for almost 3 years but my retention wasn't what I wanted it to be and I blame SSK's and splits for that.

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups?I use Silk elements shea butter mild for 7 minutes. I'm texlaxed and I touch up every 3 months.

Self-relax. I'm scared of salons.

5. What's your regimen?
Wash once a week. Deep condition everytime I wash. I either rollerset or cornrow and put on a wig. I'm in protective-styling mode right now cause I'm in the Hide your hair challenge. I also oil my scalp with NJoy's sulfur mix every 2 days.

Zahrah

Yes...My hair suffered and broke at the hands of a stylist right before i joined the forum. I invested in a pibbs dryer and keracare hair products and left the salon. Hair has been thriving since.

2. Did you ever transition to natural? no

3. What relaxer do you use, how often do you do touch-ups? I use PCJ in the jar

Self-relax

5. What's your regimen?
shampoo every 4 days. clarify every wash with vo5 clarifying. followed by keracare moisturing shampoo. condition for 10-15 minutes with kc humecto followed by IC fantasia polisher and rollerset or bun.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest

1. My hair has always been relaxed. The only time my hair wasn't at it's best was before I discovered Hair forums, m&s'ing and protein treatments monthly.

2. I attempted to transition but got weak at 26 weeks post due to a banging flat iron. I did not want to cut off my hair. It's the longest it's ever been and in the end, length is more important to me than being natural. I wanted my relaxed hair back and that's what I did. No guilt here. I love my hair relaxed and that's how it will always be.

3. I use ORS Olive Oil in Regular Strength. I stretch my relaxers no sooner than 12-16 weeks.

4. I don't trust hairstylists and probably never will. I self relax and have for over 20 yrs.

5. This is my current Regimen

I don't wear fake hair period. I don't do braided hair extensions, wigs, weaves,donut buns etc. I wear loose buns as my protective style.

I also use Cones & Sulfates. My hair loves it. I try to incorporate weekly light protein treatments as well.

HTH!

Last edited:

karenjoe

i suffered scratching my hair 2 days before a relaxer:nono:
allowing my friend to give me a TU w a "super" relaxer, hair fell out in one spot..:lachen:
got a touch up w sulfur 8 in my hair :nono:. not a good idea... that's my suffering stories...:grin:
I got a perm in Jr high.
I luv root stimulator Olive Oil no lye reg..... luv their products... :yep:
I've self relaxed for many yrs.
I don't go to shops for relaxers
I dust my ends.

I get a professional trim once a yr.....:ohwell:

Last edited:

miracles11

I want to reach out to people just like you in the Houston area so here is a shout out to them. My hair group is searching for those not in the "know" check link below