Black Hairstyles and Trend Magazine says....

MoezThunder

[ QUOTE ]
Cherrie said:
I've also seen where you can soak a bath towel in hot water and apply it to your head (moist heat).

[/ QUOTE ]
Could the "magic remedy" then be to sit under the dryer WITH the towel around your head.....
a make shift steamer perhaps?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
there are 25 hair killers,one of them being long periods of time under hooded hair dryers....

The conditioners melt away,and the hair and scalp begin to dry out...

[/ QUOTE ]

This might explain why some conditioners go on like butter but my hair feels like sandpaper when I rinse...

yokourt

[ QUOTE ]
deeplyrooted said:
[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Wow!

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thoughts. i'm sooo glad i stopped putting all of my trust in those salon stylists.
i need to start getting subscriptions to some hair mags. thank you for posting this valuable information ! ! !

[/ QUOTE ]

dito! Which hair care mags are the best ? ?

Vitality

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
"If the hair has been relaxed,it is ready to be thermally curled after blow drying. Therefore causing less stress to the hair and scalp."

Ummmm...Now maybe it's better for the scalp, but I don't know about for the hair. I mean, blowdrying AND heat styling isn't always good for people's hair. IMHO, too much heat is too much heat--whether it comes from a hood dryer, blowdryer, flat iron, curling iron...whichever. I'll stick to airdrying for now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep!!!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I HATE HOOD DRYERS!!!! My hair would take forever to dry and I'd feel like my head was being baked. Just the thought of it gives me flashbacks and chills. :eek:

Anybody remember sitting forEVER trying to get a wrap set? Ugh!!!

(..there's no place like home. there's no place like home...)

Ronnieaj

I HATE HOOD DRYERS!!!! My hair would take forever to dry and I'd feel like my head was being baked. Just the thought of it gives me flashbacks and chills. :eek:

NJoy, yes girl!!!! I remember being 11 years old the first time I got a wrap set, and it took 6.5 hours for it to dry. Now you KNOW no 11 year old can sit under the dryer for that long :lachen:! I went to rollersetting wraps within a year, but still...misery :nono:.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy, yes girl!!!! I remember being 11 years old the first time I got a wrap set, and it took 6.5 hours for it to dry. Now you KNOW no 11 year old can sit under the dryer for that long :lachen:! I went to rollersetting wraps within a year, but still...misery :nono:.

Girl, I'm scarred for life! Your post made me want to hide up under the covers. :eek2: Torture!!!

SUPER SWEET

a perk of fine hair like mine is that I was done under the dryer in 45mins. :giggle:
I can't imagine how long thick hair ladies had to sit for regular waves or worse the scrunch waves.:nono: That could be days of drying......

My Friend

I hated sitting under the dryer. I got wise to what my stylist was doing, so I requested leave in conditioner only. She then got pissed because I wouldn't sit under the dryer for 45 minutes and i believe that contributed to my trims becoming 3 inch cuts :sad:

faithVA

I refuse, refuse, refuse to sit under a dryer. It was the worse part of getting my hair done. I have a dryer but it never came off the shelf in 2011. :yay:

I am one of the people they were referring to in the article. I suffered severe hair loss in my crown with the combination of relaxers and dryers. I would always try to push the dryer further away from my scalp which unfortunately made my drying time longer.

Maybe one day I can get my hair back.

isawstars

I'm confused... was the article saying that DCing under a dryer is bad? Or uneffective? I don't understand when he says the conditioner "melts away"

NewHairWOWeave

I'm confused... was the article saying that DCing under a dryer is bad? Or uneffective? I don't understand when he says the conditioner "melts away"

The article basicly explains why you should not DC for more that 10-15 minutes. DCing under the dryer for more than 10-15 minutes will cause the DC to become uneffective. It inturn makes the DC go bad and doesn't provide the expected nutirents intended.

I was a tad confused when I read it too. :drunk:

isawstars

The article basicly explains why you should not DC for more that 10-15 minutes. DCing under the dryer for more than 10-15 minutes will cause the DC to become uneffective. It inturn makes the DC go bad and doesn't provide the expected nutirents intended.

I was a tad confused when I read it too. :drunk:

I see what you mean.... But I am still skeptical. I wish it provided more scientific evidence, ya know?

Sent from my VS910 4G using VS910 4G

tiffjust2002

OMG I just had an a-ha moment I just recently started putting my dd (7 yrs old) under the hooded dryer with a DC and a plastic cap on and I noticed that her scalp has been EXTREMELY dry and flaky ALOT and I kept wondering what the heck is wrong with her head? It has never done that before I started her under the hooded dryer. I think I will cut that out or try to just leave her under for 5-10 min first to see if that makes a difference, if not I will cut it out completely.

Ann0804

Very interesting. Glad I stopped using my hooded dryer and steamer to deep condition. It does seem to dry my hair out. I do love my metal clip barrettes.

faithVA

i think both? so i wonder is a heating cap better, since some conditioner require heat?

I have found the heating cap to be sufficient. It is not hot, nor uncomfortable. I have scalp issues and this does not inflame my scalp. As far as the effectiveness of the conditioner I cannot compare the two. I have found that 20 to 30 minutes under a heat cap works better for me than an overnight DC with the same conditioner. For my hair, it also works better than steaming.

kiadoris08

Went to a Dominican shop while home for the holidays. The dryer was way to hot for my scalp. Never again!!! My scalp was so dry. I now know the dryer is a no no for me. I usually air dry and do a Caruso set afterwards. If I want to flat iron I do the tension method to blow dry. Works for me.

Boujoichic

I see what you mean.... But I am still skeptical. I wish it provided more scientific evidence, ya know?

Sent from my VS910 4G using VS910 4G

I agree I'm also skeptical. I used a hooded dryer almost exclusively for years and I still say that it's contributed to keeping the hair on my head even before I found the boards when I was relaxed Instead of blow drying I would put rollers in my crown and wrap the rest of my hair. My hair would be bouncy and straight for the most part so I could use less heat when I flat ironed. It has always seemed less stressful on the hair to me then blowdrying with a comb attachment or brush. I would like more info what temps are they talking about? I can see where it could be a problem if the dryer is scorching hot but then wouldn't the hand dryer be just as damaging at high temps?

Rei

did the article provide a source? Or was it just the author's theory? I feel like I need some scientific evidence that all of this happens...

candy626

I agree I'm also skeptical. I used a hooded dryer almost exclusively for years and I still say that it's contributed to keeping the hair on my head even before I found the boards when I was relaxed Instead of blow drying I would put rollers in my crown and wrap the rest of my hair. My hair would be bouncy and straight for the most part so I could use less heat when I flat ironed. It has always seemed less stressful on the hair to me then blowdrying with a comb attachment or brush. I would like more info what temps are they talking about? I can see where it could be a problem if the dryer is scorching hot but then wouldn't the hand dryer be just as damaging at high temps?

Yea I don't agree with this at all.
My hair and scalp are fine. My hair was in way worse condition when I used to blow dry.

You can't always believe everything you read.

faithVA

I don't think that what the writer has said is false. I think it is the typical problem of applying it to everyone instead of qualifying it. For some people the use of the dryer is a major issue. Is that true for all people? No it's not. Is it true for some, yes it is.

I think the article may have wanted to introduce it as a warning that this things may impact certain people's hair and scalp.

I think making people aware that some of these things can damage your hair and scalp is helpful and that everyone can't do everything.

LadyRaider

I could see where staying under the dryer for more than 20 minutes might be kind of useless overkill.

amwcah

Went to a Dominican shop while home for the holidays. The dryer was way to hot for my scalp. Never again!!! My scalp was so dry. I now know the dryer is a no no for me. I usually air dry and do a Caruso set afterwards. If I want to flat iron I do the tension method to blow dry. Works for me.

kiadoris08

Please explain @ the bolded.

candy626

Idk. I feel like a hooded dryer provides neglible damage to hair in comparison to other heat styling tools. Most people I know in the real world outside of LHCF with MBL or longer hair, use hood dryers for weekly roller sets.

A deep condition for the standard 10-20 minutes should not cause damage. Even sitting under the dryer for an hour should not. It's definitely better then blow drying and using a curling iron, as the author suggested. Though that's less direct heat on the scalp, the hair gets tremendously more stress and direct heat.

Last edited:

Kindheart

Very informative ,BUT i dry my hair loose under a hooded drier and It doesnt come out dry and tangled ,quite the opposite actually .I find that when i airdry my hair in the summer it comes out very poofy and frizzy whereas under a drier turns out smoother ,with less volume .(i dont like big hair on me)