Black women who choose to keep hair short...

My grandmother in particular grew her hair to Mid Back length cut it when she had her first child and has kept it short ever since.

She has strong opinions that long hair (anything longer than shoulder length which even that is pushing the envelope) looks really horrible on older women. She Hates...Hates to see women 58 & over with long hair to her it is very unattractive and makes women look older and I think she even views it as homely. And it's not a matter of the hair being long but thin... She doesn't even like it when it's thick & yummy on older women.

She has no regard for grey hair though. That doesn't matter to her. And she tends to dislike seeing older women with dyed hair even when it's short like she likes it.

Weird! I don't get her sometimes.

She has a point! I do think black women can pull it off a little better since our hair still has some texture...but the older yt women I see walking around with loooong hair screams catlady.

HappyHairDreams

Do you know any? I ask this because I work around plenty of yt women who naturally have long hair but choose to wear it short. It's as if long hair is just an option in their community, where as in ours it seems like a privilege. If you have long hair, it's almost taboo to want to wear it shorter. Do you know black women who prefer short hair to their naturally lengthy tresses? With black women learning about better hair practices and growing our hair long, do you think long hair will soon become an option once we know that we can have it as well?

That was me all through college, as soon as my hair got to shoulder length, that was my limit and i would cut it back to nape lengeth. My friends would look at me like i was crazy everytime i cut it, but honestly, before this site, i never thought about growing it out and I came here initially looking to get healty hair, not long hair.
I don't know if better hair practices will make all Black women want longer hair. Some people like short hair. It's cute.

DivaD04

:lachen:OMG, that was sooooo me! People now are still not taking me seriously. ANd I don't blame them.:ohwell: But, after I had my daughter and returned back to school, and my 25th Birthday something just said to grow it out. And what really convinced me was my last cut. For the very first time in years, I really felt like I wasn't true to myself, and was let down. I guess because I didn't stick to the script. I just don't have the urge to cut. But, those cuts very pretty, though!:lick:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:okay...i've just gotten serious but i guess it's better later than never. even i can't believe i don't have the urge to pick up shears. when i think of it, i just cringe. but hey, it's working and up on the shelf my shears have gone.:spinning:

cmw45

My aunt and her daughter. Both of them had thick 4a midback hair and my aunt wears her hair in a ceasar and my cousin has a chin length bob.

LivingDoll

:lachen:OMG, that was sooooo me! People now are still not taking me seriously. ANd I don't blame them.:ohwell: But, after I had my daughter and returned back to school, and my 25th Birthday something just said to grow it out. And what really convinced me was my last cut. For the very first time in years, I really felt like I wasn't true to myself, and was let down. I guess because I didn't stick to the script. I just don't have the urge to cut. But, those cuts very pretty, though!:lick:

People aren't taking me seriously either because even if I grow it out, they think I'll cut it shortly after...I felt just like you at my last cut (last December)...I felt like I let myself down too...but the "in-between" is sooo HARD!

drasgrl

Also, as beautiful as long hair is, some people don't really envy it. I was accustomed to my mother with it, and she really doesn't do much to it. Just wears a wig on top of it. In all honesty, if she went short it would REALLY be pretty on her. The long hair at her age, drags her down. :ohwell: So, it may be a privileged in the black community, but it depends on the person.:ohwell:

That reminds me my aunt had waist length hair that she wore in one or two braids but more often she'd just wear a short wig. I guess that doesn't count as keeping it short because she has long hair under her wig.

R

Reslnt1

OMG!!!!.....thank you so much!.......Yall are gonna make me go to the barber before the summer is out.....i always loved going there....talk about mmm mmm good looking eye candy...especially thurs-sat:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

quote=BklynHeart;4564607]Girl, you are the HOTTNESSS!!!!!

One of my good friends keeps her hair short because she short in height (4'11) and keeping her hair short shows off her face and body better. And believe me, this chick stops traffic!:grin:[/quote]

LikeNoOther

I just recently cut my hair to "a little shorter than chin length" bob. I LOVE IT. It is soooo much easier to manage than my longer, shoulder blade length hair. My SO and I are in a long distance relationship, and when I told him that I wanted to cut my hair, he said no (as most men do). Once he saw me after my haircut, he not only said that he likes it better, but that I LOOK better with shorter hair. I've been getting nothing but compliments since my cut, and I really feel as though it compliments me. Also, wash day is sooo much easier. My products stretch further (saving me money) and my hair takes 5 minutes to do in the morning. I no longer aspire to length, but have re-directed my focus on hair health.

BTW, my hair is fine, so my short cut makes the most of what God has given me! :grin:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
My sister and one of my best friends all prefer their hair short:yep: It looks awesome on them. My sister prefers hers no longer than SL, and my friend wears her stacked and shaved in the back. Now her hair is fierce! Also, it's very versatile. She can wear it spiked and flipped one day, retro waves the next, and curly (she's natural) the day after that. She also shaves designs in the back sometimes. It's flippin awesome, I wish I could rock hair that short sometimes:yep:

RegaLady

I just recently cut my hair to "a little shorter than chin length" bob. I LOVE IT. It is soooo much easier to manage than my longer, shoulder blade length hair. My SO and I are in a long distance relationship, and when I told him that I wanted to cut my hair, he said no (as most men do). Once he saw me after my haircut, he not only said that he likes it better, but that I LOOK better with shorter hair. I've been getting nothing but compliments since my cut, and I really feel as though it compliments me. Also, wash day is sooo much easier. My products stretch further (saving me money) and my hair takes 5 minutes to do in the morning. I no longer aspire to length, but have re-directed my focus on hair health.

BTW, my hair is fine, so my short cut makes the most of what God has given me! :grin:

Congrats! That is great!:grin: As long as you are happy with the results. And it never hurts when SOs are also happy with the results as well. Awww, you are making me wanna throw in the towel:lachen:. Good luck to you!