spinoff: dark skin women with long hair are

plove

exotic. IMO when your light skin with long hair it's the norm.
It's like it's no surprise. Your suppose to be the black women with the long hair. When your a dark skin women with long hair Exotic.
Dark skin women are suppose to have the short hair.

I think in a way that's a good thing because as a dark skin woman it make you stand out more when you have long hair.

The question is what do you'll think, do you think I'm wrong or right.

Last edited:

Blu217

Interesting. I always thought anyone with thick, coarse hair was more inclined toward length--complexion notwithstanding. Fine, long hair on a black woman is more rare to me than the thick stuff.

comike

Dark skin women with long hair are.......beautiful and exotic, if I should say so myself, being a dark skin women with long hair.......and, no different than any other black women with long hair in my opinion.:perplexed

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

plove said:
not the norm. IMO when your light skin with long hair it's the norm.
It's like it's no surprise. Your suppose to be the black women with the long hair. When your a dark skin women with long hair it's not the norm.

I think in a way that's a good thing because as a dark skin woman it make you stand out more when you have long hair.

The question is what do you'll think, I'm I wrong to you.

Plove put the licka down and go take a nap :p

Eiano

Exotic...
People always knew I was African somehow.... when I had shoulder length hair.
For some reason I was assumed to be either "Trini" or "mixed with Indian" when my hair got longer.:confused:

I looooove the look of long hair on dark women... especially when it's natural I.E: Tweet and Kenya Moore-- my model role model.

I AGREE!!! EXOTIC WHEN MY HAIR WAS LONG PEOPLE ALWAYS ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WHERE I'M FROM!!!

Eiano said:
Exotic...
For some reason I was assumed to be either "Trini" or "mixed with Indian" when my hair got longer.:confused:

I looooove the look of long hair on dark women... especially when it's natural I.E: Tweet and Kenya Moore-- my model role model.

plove

determined_to_grow said:
I AGREE!!! EXOTIC WHEN MY HAIR WAS LONG PEOPLE ALWAYS ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WHERE I'M FROM!!!

Exotic was the word i was going to say but for some reason i couldn't remember the word:lol: :lol:

ETA I'm going to change the word to exotic.

Last edited:

Ebonygurl00

plove said:
Exotic was the word i was going to say but for some reason i couldn't remember the word:lol: :lol:

Hmmm, I wonder why...:lachen:

To answer your question, I used to think think that a long time ago. Now I know better.:D

BrownBetty

Eiano said:
Exotic...

You too? Maybe we're from the same tribe? Girl, I get dominican or anything but african.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Maybe it's because I'm sleepy.... but I think I understand what you're trying to say. That dark skinned long haired women are "exotic" because it's popular belief that we can't grow our hair.

I remember years ago in college these girls flanked their soror (an AKA) because she had beautiful thick natural waist length hair. They were asking her some dumb questions like "what do YOU use grease for?!?!?!?!?! YOU got good HURR!!!!" I could tell that she was uncomfortable but she seemed to like the attention. She was beautiful and she had the best personality. I don't remember her name (it WAS like 12 years ago lol)

Anyways... I'm in the mindframe where I see any woman of color and marvel at the true beauty we possess. We're more than hair.

Let me take my hips to bed before I ramble more.:lol: (sorry)

glamazon386

plove said:
It's like it's no surprise. Your suppose to be the black women with the long hair. When your a dark skin women with long hair Exotic.

:lachen: I get what you're saying and I'd have to agree. Do you know how many fools harassed me up and down asking me was I all black when I had that goddess remi hair in? It was ridiculous. Even women were asking was I from the islands or something...

imani97

Yeah, a guy asked me tonight if I had Indian in me. :confused: Black girls can be beautiful and have long hair that is theirs. Some people! :mad:

Wishin4BSL

I think that everyone expects people with light skin to have long hair, but I think that when I have long hair, I'll look gorgeous even if I am light skinned. I think that's a borderline racist comment.

plove

Wishin4BSL said:
I think that everyone expects people with light skin to have long hair, but I think that when I have long hair, I'll look gorgeous even if I am light skinned. I think that's a borderline racist comment.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
plove said:

I disagree.

I have seen beautiful dark women with long hair.
I have seen not-so-beautiful dark women with long hair.
I have seen beautiful light skinned women with long hair.
I have seen not-so-beautiful light skinned women with long hair.

Plus, everyone has different preferences and standards when it comes to what they find beautiful and what they do not find beautiful. I do not think there's one universal or general standard because of the fact that everyone is different and what's beautiful to them may not be beautiful to someone else.

Softresses

I don't think that way personally, but there are not a lot of dark skinned women in my area that wear their hair long. So when people see it they act as though it is out of the ordinary. They treat you as though you are exotic, they sometimes ask goofy questions. I even had someone say, "you can't," when I mentioned I was growing my hair out. Now that I have completely passed where I said I was going to grow it to it now has to be something in my heritage.

Softresses

Softresses

Thanks Senimoni:)

Softresses

ETA, I just came out of your album, Your progress is GREAT! your hair is getting thicker and thicker. Love the color!

Last edited:

MissYocairis

I don't like that theory at all and I really don't see where that theory is any better than saying, "you are pretty for a dark skinned girl". I'm not even sure why that theory is necessary. As far as stereotypes went for me....in my experience it was always whether or not you had "GOOD HURR" as to whether your "HURR" would be long....had nothing to do with your HUE. Now that we know THAT is erroneous, I'm not sure we have any basis to be developing or perpetuating lesser known myths about Black hair and Black skintone.