Bone Combs

Spagirl

I just received my shipment of bone combs yesterday from hairsense.com and notice that they were either a little sharp and/or not filed completely smooth (ridges on super detangler rake and sharp along the base between the teeth). Has anyone had this experience? If so were you able to smooth them successfully?

I called and told them I was going to return the super detangler rake comb for another but if it can be filed successful I will request a discount instead.

TIA!

shinyblackhair

hmmm...are they real bone combs? My understanding is that the real ones are not sharp at all. There are fakes made out of plastic and cost about $1 those ones tend to be sharp. I don't have a bone comb personally, just a really good seamless detangling comb. I have an imitation bone comb which is sharp as heck (I don't use it obviously).

cutebajangirl

i got my bone combs from hairsense too and they are sharp. I realized this on Saturday but I ordered them months ago. They don't have any ridges though.

Isis

I bought one in the past from tenderheaded.com. I noticed the same thing, the edges are not smooth. I haven't used it yet and meant to call them up and ask about this. Thanks for reminding me Spagirl!

inthepink

My rake bone comb and super rake do not have super smooth edges but they are filed...meaning, there's nothing for my hair to get caught in. I ordered the super rake from hairsense and the rake detangler from colordesignsystems.com. I also have a fine tooth bone comb and I can also see the filing. My combs work great...from what I've read, seems this is the way they are supposed to be...don't know about being sharp though. Mine are not sharp.

Spagirl

Thanks, I'm going to return my super rake it has been filed too much to the point that they filed a ridge (dug in ditch type ridge) into it. I'm afraid to use it because my hair could snag on it. This one is defectively filed.

Hairlove, your fine tooth comb from colordesignsystems.com are they sharp (not rounded) at the tips. The one from hairsense could easily scratch my scalp.

Spagirl

I just ran a strand of my hair up and down one of the teeth of the regular rake comb and the strand snapped into two.

It looks like I can only keep 1 of the 4 combs....I hope the company is honorable. We'll see.

Iris, good luck.

Edited to add:
I just checked the vendor board and they seem to have a good reputation.

inthepink

My fine tooth comb from colordesignsystems is not sharp along the tips at all. I guess it is rounded and smooth. I would say that the combs from colordesignsystems are very good quality. They also have black bone combs.

Aerie17

Mine was so sharp, I sent the sucker right back to the sto'.
I bought it from Tenderheaded.com and they took it right back and sent an e-mail saying they were sorry it did not work out. Good company...bad comb.

simplyhair

Has anyone tried the Jumbo Magic Star comb? I just ordered one on Monday from Zooscape.com. Zooscape has a Jumbo and Mini Rake made out of hard rubber. Here is the description from their site:

Professional Hard Rubber - Magic Star - Jumbo Rake Comb
100% HARD RUBBER COMBS FOR PROFESSIONALS
MADE IN GERMANY by NEW YORK HAMBURGER
Made from 100% PURE NATURAL hard rubber that is non-porous, guaranteeing hygiene and resistance to chemicals
HAND MADE and highly polished, making them smooth and gentle to the hair and scalp
TEETH are SAW-CUT, free of any seams, with round tips and sides.

My stylist uses this comb. It seems to be pretty popular w/stylists on the Southside of Chicago.

Also check out Dannyco.ca. They are the manf or distributor of these combs. They have a nice selection of rubber seamless combs.

I'll give an update once I get my combs.

Tracy

I ordered a bone comb from hair sense. I could also see the filing and mine were also REALLY sharp. I never returned them, but I don't use them. ::shrug::

I have another bone comb, that I have no idea WHERE I got it and it's wonderful. It's a smallish, all purpose comb with a handle.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
Mine was so sharp, I sent the sucker right back to the sto'.
I bought it from Tenderheaded.com and they took it right back and sent an e-mail saying they were sorry it did not work out. Good company...bad comb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know they took it right back and apologized. I'm going to call them in the morning about mine. Thanks Aerie for the post.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
hmmm...are they real bone combs? My understanding is that the real ones are not sharp at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hairsense.com combs aren't real bone, they're made of some type of resin. Only the biggest comb I've ordered from them had sharp ends. The other two (small tooth and rake) are just fine. I'm sorry to see so many have not had good luck with these.

simplyhair

Ok, I finally received my combs Wednesday 11/21. (I know I'm late giving feedback...sorry) It seems that these combs are very popular with Zooscape.com. They run out and have to order more from dannyco.ca.

I ordered the Jumbo Magic Star comb for $15.45. It retails for $19.99 at a professional beauty supply store on the South Side of Chicago (Jordan's on 79th). I live too far to go out South to buy it and just paid for the shipping.

The comb measures exactly 9 inches in length and 3.5 inches from the spine/top to the bottom of the teeth. Each tooth is approx .25 inches wide. The spacing between each tooth is slightly larger than .50 inches wide. There are 8 teeth. The total width of all of the teeth measures 4.5 inches wide. The edges of the teeth are round and smooth. They are not pointy.

This comb is hand made in Germany. It's highly polished and very smooth. I really like the comb. I know Cherricola has the Jumbo and the Mini. She carries the Mini as a purse comb.

I just ordered a bone tail comb from colordesignsystems.com on Friday 11/23. Unfortunately, I can't compare the rubber comb to the bone comb. I will give a comparison once I receive my order. I would have bought a rubber tail comb from Zooscape but they don't carry all of the tail combs offered by Dannyco.ca. Dannyco.ca is the manf/distributor located in Canada for these hard rubber combs. They do not sell to the U.S. Zooscape is an online retailer in Canada that ships to the U.S.

The other comb I bought from Zooscape was the Two-in-One. One side is a rake and the other side has fine teeth. I thought this would be helpful for my comb out after a poo/cond and then use the fine side for combing sections for a roller set. Well, I kinda changed my mind. I'm thinking that I want to have the tail to section thru the hair for my parts. Don't get me wrong, the Two-in-One has all of the same qualities as the Jumbo Magic Star. Their made by the same company. I like using it for my 8 month old. He has braids that are about 3 inches long. So, I always have hair (besides my own) to comb.

Spagirl

Thanks sooooo much SimplyHair. I returned 3 of the combs and the magic jumbo sound like it's the ticket for me. I'm sure, like Hairlove, you will enjoy the combs from color design systems as well.