Which of these combs would you use to rollerset?

Which Comb Would You Use To Rollerset?

• Pic 1 Top

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Pic 1 Bottom

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Pic 2

Votes: 81 64.3%
  • Pic 3

Votes: 24 19.0%

• Total voters

tryn2growmyhair

Which of these bone comb would you use to rollerset:

These bone combs have greatly helped me to lose less hair than regular combs but I was alarmed at the bs the other day to see the stylist combing through my new growth with a fine tooth comb! :eek: I would like a smooth rollerset (she said I needed a fine tooth comb to smooth the hair over the roller) but I want to lose as little hair as possible. I am worried about losing too much hair now that I have been rollersetting more frequently. I have type 4a/b hair. I look forward to hearing from you, TIA!

Pic 1/Detangler Hand Made Bone Combs Top or Bottom one?:

Pic 2/Medium spaced teeth /rake comb:

Pic 3/ Prof. Tail Hand Made Bone Comb wide teeth space:

I was using this to detangle but it is so big that it doesnt really detangle much, LOL!

hottopic

Use a some similiar to 1st picture/bottom. I stopped using smaller teeth combs....only unless I am getting my hair perm....

tryn2growmyhair

hottopic said:
Use a some similiar to 1st picture/bottom. I stopped using smaller teeth combs....only unless I am getting my hair perm....
Do you find that you still have a smooth set with that? I am also trying to stop with the small teeth combs, so maybe I will try that next.

BrEE

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks to you, Bree and everyne for their responses.

no prob, that's what i do. i have the non bone version of those combs. btw, i think your stylist is right, i dont know how you would get the hair smooth enough to lie on the roller if you didnt comb through it with a smaller tooth comb. i dunno, maybe you can. :/

BAILEYSCREAM

tryn2growmyhair said:
Which of these bone comb would you use to rollerset:

Pic 1/Detangler Hand Made Bone Combs Top or Bottom one?:

Pic 2/Medium spaced teeth /rake comb:

Pic 3/ Prof. Tail Hand Made Bone Comb wide teeth space:

Tryn2,

I voted picture 2, but I would use either pic 2 or pic 3. As long as it has a rattail, and as long as I can gently comb the hair first before puting in the rollers then I'll use it. I also have another comb with 4 teeth/tails at the ends that I also use.

For detangling, I have a K-cutter or a big wide toothed comb which is plastic but it really works.

I used to have a matador comb as well but that broke. It's the one with the metal rattail in this picture (if you can see it).

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Tryn2,

I voted picture 2, but I would use either pic 2 or pic 3. As long as it has a rattail, and as long as I can gently comb the hair first before puting in the rollers then I'll use it. I also have another comb with 4 teeth/tails at the ends that I also use.

For detangling, I have a K-cutter or a big wide toothed comb which is plastic but it really works.

I used to have a matador comb as well but that broke. It's the one with the metal rattail in this picture (if you can see it).

Thanks, Bailey. Would you be a ble to get a smooth set with pic 3? I worry that it might be too wide? I woud like to use a wide tooth comb but how are you able to detangle all of your hair?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Tryn2growmyhair, thanks for posting this thread! :clap: I've been using just a wide tooth comb (that plastic scunci brand) to do my rollersets. Even though the sections of my hair weren't all the way combed out/smooth because I used a wide tooth comb, I still rolled them up the way they were, and my results came out great anyway! I voted for "Pic 1-Top" but really not sure which would work best for a rollerset; that's just what I thought would work for my transitioning hair since I can't use the black plastic rattail comb or any comb that has fine teeth. Now I'm thinking about investing in a bone comb. I think this scunchi wide tooth comb isn't all the way seamless and may be causing the little bit of breakage I get sometimes. So the next time I go to a hair store, I'm getting me one (or maybe more than one) of those combs! :driver:

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
Tryn2growmyhair, thanks for posting this thread! :clap: I've been using just a wide tooth comb (that plastic scunci brand) to do my rollersets. I voted for "Pic 1-Top" but really not sure which would work best for a rollerset; that's just what I think would work for my transitioning hair since I can't use the black plastic rattail comb or any comb that has fine teeth. Now I'm thinking about investing in a bone comb. I think this scunchi wide tooth comb isn't all the way seamless. So the next time I go to a hair store, I'm getting me one (or maybe more than one) of those combs! :driver:
Thanks for responding, Poohbear. I've had a number of "bone" combs. Be careful because the cheap ones are not strong enough and can actually tear your hair -- I know that the one that I bought from tenderheaded.com did that to my 8 weeks of new growth. I went back to the ones from Salon Accessories, Inc. Ebay Store.

Poohbear

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for responding, Poohbear. I've had a number of "bone" combs. Be careful because the cheap ones are not strong enough and can actually tear your hair -- I know that the one that I bought from tenderheaded.com did that to my 8 weeks of new growth. I went back to the ones from Salon Accessories, Inc. Ebay Store.
So those bone combs that I've seen at Sally's and local beauty supply stores can tear your hair??? How much do these combs cost online??? Do you have to pay for shipping??? :confused:

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
So those bone combs that I've seen at Sally's and local beauty supply stores can tear your hair??? How much do these combs cost online??? Do you have to pay for shipping??? :confused:
I dont know about Sallys but the tenderhead ones were not tough enough for my 4a/b hair. It is cheapest on the store on Ebay. Look there for shipping. It's different depending on the comb that you have. I kept buying more because I liked them so much.

Leslie_C

Poohbear said:

PB,
the cheap ones u see at Sally's and other BSS's arent real bone combs....I dont know why they are allowed to call them that, maybe because they are the color of bone combs. The real bone combs are a little pricier but worth the investment. Ive asked around and even salons have told me they buy their bone combs at hair shows or order them but they are hard to find and u cant get them locally. Ill try to find the site I bought mine from, I really like them a lot. I got one to detangle and comb and one with thin teeth for rollersetting. I get very little breakage from combing now.

Poohbear

Leslie_C said:
PB,
the cheap ones u see at Sally's and other BSS's arent real bone combs....I dont know why they are allowed to call them that, maybe because they are the color of bone combs. The real bone combs are a little pricier but worth the investment. Ive asked around and even salons have told me they buy their bone combs at hair shows or order them but they are hard to find and u cant get them locally. Ill try to find the site I bought mine from, I really like them a lot. I got one to detangle and comb and one with thin teeth for rollersetting. I get very little breakage from combing now.
Thanks for letting me know before I went to go buy those fake bone combs locally. ;)

kombov_dymond

I know I'm asking for it, but I use my shower comb to section and a boar brush to smooth. I don't lose alot of hair, but I know it may be damaging. My hair laughs at small-toothed combs...

Jewell

I voted Pic 2. I own a comb just like this one. I used it to part and comb out the section I was about to put on the roller. I used a smaller rat-tail comb, like the black one above the one in the other picture with the metal tail to smooth the hair right before I roll it. I no longer rollerset...just speaking in past tense (what I used when I did).

tryn2growmyhair

Jewell said:
I voted Pic 2. I own a comb just like this one. I used it to part and comb out the section I was about to put on the roller. I used a smaller rat-tail comb, like the black one above the one in the other picture with the metal tail to smooth the hair right before I roll it. I no longer rollerset...just speaking in past tense (what I used when I did).
Jewell -- what do you do now that you dont rollerset?

BAILEYSCREAM

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks, Bailey. Would you be a ble to get a smooth set with pic 3? I worry that it might be too wide? I woud like to use a wide tooth comb but how are you able to detangle all of your hair?

Whenever I roller set, before I ever start putting in rollers my hair is detangled. I detangle in the shower with lots of conditioner in my hair under the running water and make sure the hair is combed smooth in one direction (backwards).

When I get out, if I'm rollersetting then I just spray whatever setting lotion on the hair and then proceed to part and section the hair and then use rollers.
If you want the roller set really smooth, then use a rattail comb with close teeth like picture 2. I, however would use either picture 2 or 3.

I said earlier in the thread that I used to use a very fine Matador comb but it broke and I haven't replaced it.

HTH.

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
Neither but I would use the big rake comb to detangle.

My rattail comb is a little more finer than the one pictured. I got that one from tenderheadedaccessories.com

Poohbear

tryn2growmyhair, did you ever decide what bone comb(s) to get???

I'm thinking about getting the comb in "pic 2" for smoothing the hair before putting the rollers and the comb in the "bottom pic 1" for detangling before I smooth with the pic 2 comb.

Can these combs be found anywhere else besides www.hairsense.com ???

Last edited:

Porsche19

I'd personally use the one in the third picture. It's seamless and would detangle my hair just fine... but you said it doesn't detangle your hair...

So pic 1 on the bottom is a better choice.

renee_n_3000

BrEE said:
i would use pic 3 to part and detangle then pic 2 to smooth it over the roller.

This is my choice, too. Pic 2 looks like the comb I used when I used to rollerset once a week, except mine was not a bone comb.

I need to buy some bone combs. :)

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
tryn2growmyhair, did you ever decide what bone comb(s) to get???

I'm thinking about getting the comb in "pic 2" for smoothing the hair before putting the rollers and the comb in the "bottom pic 1" for detangling before I smooth with the pic 2 comb.

Can these combs be found anywhere else besides www.hairsense.com ???
I own all of them, I'm embrassed to admit and use them all. DO NOT BUY FROM TENDERHEADED. I bought one from tenderheaded and it ripped my hair because it was not strong enough to resist my wet hair, hairsense has a cheaper site on ebay. The eBay store is called Salon Accessories Inc. Dont buy from her directly but from the eBay site so that you will have some protection. As someone has mentioned on this board, she can be a little shady. If I knew where else to buy from, I would not buy from her, but her combs have been one of the best things for my hair. I did not realize how much regular combs -- even wide toothed combs - -were ripping out my hair.

Poohbear

tryn2growmyhair said:
I own all of them, I'm embrassed to admit and use them all. DO NOT BUY FROM TENDERHEADED. I bought one from tenderheaded and it ripped my hair because it was not strong enough to resist my wet hair, hairsense has a cheaper site on ebay. The eBay store is called Salon Accessories Inc. Dont buy from her directly but from the eBay site so that you will have some protection. As someone has mentioned on this board, she can be a little shady. If I knew where else to buy from, I would not buy from her, but her combs have been one of the best things for my hair. I did not realize how much regular combs -- even wide toothed combs - -were ripping out my hair.
Can you post the link to Salon Accessories? I tried doing a search for it on ebay about a month ago and couldn't find it.