BRAIDOUTS/TWISTOUTS- with rollerset body??

soslychic

Their's basically one reason why I've been avoiding braidouts/twistouts (besides my underprocessed hair). I'm thinking lack of body. I see people with crinkly hair that they say they've braided first and everything but it just...just...lacks MOVEMENT, LUSTER, SHINE! How do you all's braidout/twistouts turn out? Does it move? like with a rollerset? or is their a way to get that movement? I love the crinkly, wavy, look, as long as it dosn't just sit there.

OnlyChild

For body: After unbraiding/untwisting, I turn lean my head over and massage my scalp. Then shake and go.

For shine: Rosemary/jojoba/castor oil mix

satindawl

I know what u mean. I really love that look too. What I did to get really really shiny hair, (keep in mind i first tried it after a relaxer) I put wild growth oil on my hair and then i plaited it all around, cuz i cant cornrow. On the other message board, i explained it as me looking like roger from sister sister. I put a scarf over my head before i went to bed and then in the morning...i rolled the plaits up. when i took the rollers out, i kind of scrunched it up with my hands and applied bio curl on cue shine serum that i got at bath and body works. it sprays on and gives shine without having to manipulate your hair. I got a lot of compliments on how shiny my hair was. Hope this helps.

soslychic

Hum.rolling the plaits WOULD probably produce body to it. Did your hair have bounce?

Also since you rolled the plaits, were those really tight crnkles? What kind of wave was your final results?

Country gal

My hair dresser rolls the end of with rollers and sits me under the dryer for twenty minutes. I usually go home and let it finish air drying. The next morning I then shake and go. I tease it with spritz to give it that wild look. My hairdresser uses setting lotion and mousse.

Zuppy

Setting lotion! whatever you use for regular wet roller set use for braid out/twist out & sit under dryer for at least 1/2 the time it will take it to dry.

Victorian

old head
Larger waves will result in more body. I can't cornrow either so I always put my hair in 2 or 3 plaits. If I do more, my hair is "bigger." I'm not big on big hair (LOL) so I like that it lays down more near the root and has more "swing"
(Actually I'm doing the bun challenge right now but I still braid to airdry because it makes my hair silkier and my loose bun looks better (fuller) with some texture).

Lindy

This post makes me remember the ONE time when my twist-out had body and movement... (because you're right; sometimes it DOES just sit there, probably because of the oil)

Anyway that time I used Motions Leave-In, Carefree Curl Activator, and Hot Six Oil. That must have been the magic combination cuz yes my hair was bouncin the next day!!

Chichi

Two things that I find that give my braidouts lots of bounce are:

1. not braiding sopping wet hair; let it dry just a little bit then braid/twist

2. not putting lots of products (like leave-in) in my hair

I also noticed that the longer my hair grows the bouncier it is too. HTH.

Chichi

inthepink

To get shine, use a light oil before you braid it. Not sure about bounce but I get some from the rolled ends - though I never wear my braidouts "out." I usually put it up in a scrunchy.

satindawl

I think it was pretty bouncy..it had a lot of movement when i did it. Actually..i was driving with my windows down and my hair was blowing, and it looked even better than when i styled it. The were kind of tight crinkles...but they looked nice. But obviously they werent as tight as if u were to cornrow your hair. It was also really shiny..i was surprised..

JazzAngel

The longer the hair grows the more bounce you will have but most importanly I have found is more moisture. If your hair is not in good conditoner the braid out just looks stiff no matter what you use.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
the only way i do braidouts and twistouts is with rollersets at the end, my hair just seems so dead without it. the curl at the end gives me xtra body

karezone

The only time that my braid out did not have body was earlier this summer and that was only because I hadn't washed in two weeks due to exams and it was loaded with products.

Isis

When I do a braidout with dry hair, I have lots of body. I make sure my braids are few, like 2 or 3.