Brazilian Hair Secrets

Teva

We have a new member from Brazil Tchutchuca. I am hoping to get her to share some of her beauty hair secrets. I have heard many things about the way the women care for their hair in Brazil and I want to know more.

Come on in Tchutchuca spill it.

Teva

Well this is one of her post but we want more....

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I am from Brazil and there we have a very high protein diet. Every meal (lunch and dinner) we have beans, rice and meat, plus complements like salads and vegetables. We always eat lots of fruits and natural juices. We also eat a kind of fresh cheese pretty often ( similar with queso fresco from Mexican stores),and fresh mozzarela. We do not eat all those kinds of hard cheeses which are way too processed.
Maybe that's why I used to have no problem with my hair while I was leaving there. Also I had never had any problem with weight as happened when I moved to US and started to have an american diet with way too much bread, sodas, salad dressings, and so on.
I gainned 10 pounds in 1 year. Once I started to have all my meals at home, in a brazilian style. I am back in shape. My hair is growing fast and I feel much better. I do not eat only protein, but a more balance diet.
And yes, you can elevate your cholesterol eating too much eggs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tchutchuca

Gosh !!! I have been trying to write as less as possible. I can get really confuse with vocabulary.... You people.

Anyway,I am not sure what hene is, I need to research in brazilian sites, but it a kind of black powder that you mix with water and cooks until becomes a paste (toothpaste consistency), it is also hair color, but only black (like oriental's hair color). You apply and let it sit for like hour or more. It straights the hair.
I will ask my mom

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:
Gosh !!! I have been trying to write as less as possible. I can get really confuse with vocabulary.... You people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good way for you to practice your english and we won't bite you either.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good way for you to practice your english and we won't bite you either.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O on what Spagirl said.

Tchutchuca

Thank you all

Hene is a permanent straightner. Like relaxers, you apply only on the new growth, but there is no problem with overprocess.
It did not work for me, I guess because of the color on it.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:

Anyway,I am not sure what hene is, I need to research in brazilian sites, but it a kind of black powder that you mix with water and cooks until becomes a paste (toothpaste consistency), it is also hair color, but only black (like oriental's hair color). You apply and let it sit for like hour or more. It straights the hair.
I will ask my mom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tchutchuca,

If you need some help with the translation, there is a website where you can type in Portuguese and it will translate into English: Translation website I hope this helps.

I'm also interested in what you have to share about hair care.

Tchutchuca

Thanks Nyambura, this site will be a good help.

Teva, as I told you, I am not sure what hene is, like the ingredients, but I asked to my mother and she will check. She also has never read the label.
The link below you will be able to see how one form of it looks like. The site is in portuguese, sorry. But even there I could not find the ingredients.
http://www.embelleze.com.br/main.cfm?Con...tegoria_IDFK=20

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
I translated it:
Cabelos Delicados e Rebeldes.
Sua forma natural de se sentir ainda mais bonita.
Cabelos naturalmente lisos e profundamente tratados.
O Gel Rená age gradualmente, deixando seus cabelos lisos e saudáveis, naturalmente negros e com brilho, após algumas aplicações.
Modo de usar:
- Aplique mecha por mecha, puxando da raíz em direção às pontas e penteie sempre para esticar os fios
- Cubra a cabeça com touca plástica e deixe o Henê Rená agir nos cabelos por 60 min.
- Lave os cabelos com shampoo até remover todo o produto
- Enxágüe os cabelos com creme ou condicionador e deixe-os secar

translates into:
Delicate and Rebellious hair. Its natural form of if feeling still more pretty. Smooth hair of course and deeply treated. The Gel Rená acts gradually, leaving its smooth and healthful, of course black hair and with brightness, after some applications. Way to use: - Wall lamp wick for wick, pulling of the raíz in direction to the tips and always combs to strain wires - the head Covers with plastic headress and leaves the Henê Rená to act in the hair for 60 min. - It washes the hair with shampoo until removing the product all - It rinses the hair with cream or conditioner and leaves to dry them

blkvetteblack

Henna is not used for straighting the hair. It is an alternative to the traditional chemical hair dye. It is also used in tatooing. Here is a web page with more information on henna. www.hennapage.com You may also want to look at this long hair site and do a search on henna. There are tons of information on the uses of henna, mainly for hair color www.longhaircommunity.com Go to discussion and then look under "Mane" and begin your search. I am considering using henna on my hair to make it a blue/black. The color you see on oriental women.

Tchutchuca

Hi blvetteblack,

that's I am trying to say, hene is not henna. Seems like because dye your hair, can cause stains in your skin, it is made with hot water... but it is not henna because hene makes your hair straight. I wish I was in Brazil right now to check all the ingredients. But I am working on it.

Hi Sassygirl, I love to read your posts, you can be really funny.

I saw something about brazilians using coconut milk in their hair... well, I never heard about this. We have lots of foods made with it, but we don't put on hair.

Honey6928215

Welcome, Tchutchuca. I hope you become a faithful member of this website like hundreds of us here. We would love to learn as much as we can about haircare in your country.

Since Brazilian women have such beautiful head of hair, what essetial oils you use for hair growth or what products you normally use for haircare?

Again, welcome to LHCF.

Mufasa

[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:
Thank you all

Hene is a permanent straightner. Like relaxers, you apply only on the new growth, but there is no problem with overprocess.
It did not work for me, I guess because of the color on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tchutchuca,
Thank you for sharing your knowledge from your homeland!

Above you mention that it did not work for you. Are you saying that it didn't straighten your hair? Can you use Hene to just texturize the hair?

Thank you once again

Tchutchuca

Hello you all
I plann to stay, because I have been learning a lot about hair here at this forum. I must say THANK YOU ALL.
Anyway, when I say that did not work for me, it is because you really need to want a black, straight hair and I am more into textures.
It is funny because I have used coconut, jojoba and almond oil for almost all my life. I use because my hair feels good. Usually I apply with a deep conditioner, never as a leave in. I remember when I first came to US and saw almost all the black ladies with way too much greese on their hair. We do not do that in Brazil and if so, would be as a deep conditioner that now I call hot oil.
Basically, the hair care is kind of the same, but we do not use gels, mousses and sprays as here, just because the oldest one told us that these things can make your hair break. And I am impressed with the quantity of products that some of you have
it is like having a beauty supply store at home
We don't buy all these, and I am still controlled. I bought some stuff, but I still can count them with one hand.
In my country we have a saying " Sometimes less is a lot".
I take care of my hair more since I found this site. I am kind of falling in love with it

Tchutchuca

I am sorry Sassy.

Yes Skala is really popular. I have my jaborandi conditioner cream that I brought last year. I have no idea that they sell skala here. Usually I buy at the brazilian market here in LA when I run out, but they do not have a good selection. Thanks for the site.
Another good brand is OX, it is made with bone marrow oils, mixided with oils, oatmeal, panthenol, etc... Smells so good.
But one thing I noticed, there is something about this weather, or water, or diet that make my hair feels not so good. And plus I used a no-lye relaxer as texturizer one month ago. My hair feels better now, but was a mess.

Allandra

Sassygirl and I have a few Skala cream conditioners. I really like them (work great on my hair).
Sassygirl got me hooked on Skala cream conditioners.

Mahalialee4

Ip in the upper right hand corner on that website page it says "English". You can click on that and get a direct translation from the site. Bonjour.

UmSumayyah

You might have hard water. Try getting a shower filter or using distilled water as a final rinse. I do and it makes a world of difference.

Isis

Welcome and thank you Tchutchuca for everything that you are sharing. The hene sounds very interesting. I wonder if there are any pictures on the Internet of how it straightens the hair...

CaramelKiss

I originally posted this in another thread:

There's this Spanish resturant here in Germany that I've been hanging out at for the past month or so and there are many ladies from Brazil who go there. I don't know what their secret is, but I have never seen so many long and flowing natural type 3's and 4's in my life!!! Some down to their waist!! And they walk around with it open, no protective style (at least not at the restaurant) like it's nothing to them!!! I would love to know their secret!!! Is it the ocean air?? The diet??? I had to stop myself from staring so hard. It was almost embarrassing!!

Also Welcome Tchutchuca

Looking forward to hearing your "hair secrets"!!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Thanks Tchutchuca. I was curious... Marla mentioned Skala in an earlier thread and I knew I had to have some! I haven't tried the Jaborandi. Yet.
But I like the Shea Butter and the Mix Vegetal a lot (The ones in the bottle, not the tub).

@ Allandra:
[ QUOTE ]
Sassygirl got me hooked on Skala cream conditioners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm you pusha...