sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:
And I am impressed with the quantity of products that some of you have
it is like having a beauty supply store at home

[/ QUOTE ]

cutebajangirl

The relaxer on the site Sassy girl posted was interesting. It had thyglycolate and ammonium hydroxide. I've never seen those together. Also I couldn't find the click to english part in the second website.
I might buy one of those conditioners in the spring. The ingredients looked really good.

Teva

PLEEEZE be brave and ask them what what their secret is. I know women love to share if you ask them.

Tchutchuca

There is noo secret. Maybe is the diet, weather and water. My hair was long almost bra strap in August 02. I decided to dye my hair right after relax. Bad idea
I cut my hair short, like 3-4 inches, today I had around 16inches last month, but then I used dark & lovely as texturizer. My hair turned dry and was breaking.I do ot knoww why, because I have been using dark n lovely for boutt 10 years. I cut it again, not much, now I have 14 inches. I have never used protective style everyday, as lot of ladies here do (only when I have braids). My hair in ponytail, breaks, when I use too much. So it is always down like most of brazilian.
I do not use heat, I don't even have a blow drier or flat iron. No sprays to hold my style, I do not tie my hair when I go to bed and last month I bought a silk pillowcase.
Brazilians like to show their hair and the longer tthe better.
I was readinng somewhere about using hats in sunny days or at the beach. I used to go to the beach everyday and swim, plus Brazil is a sunny country and people do not use hats. Only the rich white ladies do, as a simbol of style.
Another thing is that in Brazil we have lot of mix,blacks and whites, japaneses, brazilian indians, all mixed. I am not mixed.

gvsugirl

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:
And I am impressed with the quantity of products that some of you have
it is like having a beauty supply store at home

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tchutchuca

Ok I have something about hene

"The active substances in the products of transformation of the Embelleze are tioglicolato of ammonia, acid pirogálico (henê) and calcium hidroxides(guanidina), lithium and sodium."

I used the translation website. Hopefully will help all the chemistry experts to solve the mystery.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
The relaxer on the site Sassy girl posted was interesting. It had thyglycolate and ammonium hydroxide. I've never seen those together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vigorol is somewhat similar. It contains ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium thioglycolate and ammonium hydroxide. They both sound fairly harsh, IMO...

HotCoCoGurl130

Tchutchuca,

Welcome to the board!!!!!!

I have a question about hene. Can you use it on hair that is already relaxed or just on new growth and if so what are the effects on already relaxed hair?

CaramelKiss

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
PLEEEZE be brave and ask them what what their secret is. I know women love to share if you ask them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will girl, I will!! Might be a bit hard though with the language barrier. But lemme tell u, they don't grease up their hair like we do in the States. I think they use oils or something. And no protective styles at all!! I couldn't believe it!! When I go to this club, I use extra gel and the last time I was there I had my hair pulled back into a tight ponytail so that I wouldn't have to worry about frizzies. I guess it's all about attitude as well. They don't worry so much about having glamorous, sleek magazine perfect hair styles and that's what made it beautiful. This naturalness and freedom from what's ideal. And the european and African brothas there were all trippin'!!! Their toungues wag everytime, it's sooo funny to watch!!!
But I guess for the brothas of south america it's the norm for their women to have hair like that

Tchutchuca

"I guess it's all about attitude as well. They don't worry so much about having glamorous, sleek magazine perfect hair styles and that's what made it beautiful. This naturalness and freedom from what's ideal. And the european and African brothas there were all trippin'!!!"

Hi CaramelKiss,
you answered all the questions. There is no big secret apart from be as much natural as possible. We do not grease our head because we like when our boyfriends, husbands, or whetever touch our hair. I could never use a weave because of that, so all the weaves, extensions, wigs are nott common in Brazil and grease??? is something from the past. Itt feels good go out and feel the wind on your head, your hair on your face... As I said before, we do use oils, but just with deep conditioning. I still use deep condittioning with oils and eggs mixed together. I had no idea why, but my hair loved, now after LHF I know the reasons.
Less is a lot

Hi diamondchair3,
I dont think that you can use hene on top of relaxer, because the ingredientts are complete different. Hene is a straightener, when once you start, you can use like every week all over your hair until you obtain tthe result that you want, then you can apply just on your new growth. It is not used to texturize. I will try to find a picture of a head with hene

Mahalialee4

So, just to clarify...are there chemicals same as in relaxers in this? Can it be used with HENNA before a HENNA or after a HENNA (
I mean the Henna that comes from the plant and turns the hair red etc?) Or is the jaborandi (the blister) plant, responsible for the straightening? What actually creates the straightening effect and is is permanent and how straight does it get the hair?
Thank you so much for answering.

Mahalialee4

Could anyone post the recipe for making this product that they cook on the stove? that sounds like a real challenge I would undertake....smile. Bonjour.

HennaJoy

Hi Mahalialee,

Don't know if you got my email or not.

From the ingredients, this is very much like the ingredients in the Thermol Ionic Permanent products and the Wash and Wear Relaxer product. It is a perm really with a colorant added. Following is what I could find on each ingredient. You can determine what you think it is from the ingredients:

Hope this helps. And hope all of this copies...LOL!!! Take care and keep in touch.

"The active substances in the products of transformation of the Embelleze are tioglicolato of ammonia, acid pirogálico (henê) and calcium hidroxides(guanidina), lithium and sodium."

AMMONIUM THIOGLYCOLATE
AMMONIUM THIOGLYCOLATE
PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
CAS NO. 5421-46-5
EINECS NO. 226-540-9
FORMULA HSCH2COONH3
MOL WT. 109.15
H.S. CODE 2930.90
TOXICITY
SYNONYMS Ammonium Mercaptoacetate; Mercapto-Acetic Acid;
Monoammonium Salt; Thioglycollic Acid, Ammonium Salt;
DERIVATION
CLASSIFICATION
PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
PHYSICAL STATE Colorless to faint pink liquid, characteristic sulfide odor
MELTING POINT -10 C
BOILING POINT 115 C
SPECIFIC GRAVITY 1.22
SOLUBILITY IN WATER Miscible
pH 5.5 - 6.5
VISCOSITY
AUILITY This ccompound is sensitive to heat.

Thioglycolic Acid (also called Mercaptoacetic Acid) and its derivatives are main materials for the synthesis of PVC-Stabilizers and are used as hair care products (waving, hair removal and hair straightening; and in shrink-resistant treatment of wool) ingredients. These compounds are also useful for down-hole acidizing and corrosion inhibition in the oil field industry.

http://www.crodausa.com/formulations/AmmThioHairRelaxerwithCroq.pdf
This may be the recipe you were looking for.

Synonyms and Trade Names: Ammonium mercaptoacetate; ammonium thioglycolate; ammonium thioglycolate; Thiofaco A-0; thioglycolic acid, ammonium salt. ...
ntp-

acid pirogálico (henê) or Pyrogallic acid

Lots of uses...reported as highly toxic...colors the hair various shades of brown similar to black walnut hull powder.

Pyrogallic acid, a developing agent, is a carcinogen and can cause severe skin damage. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothing. Wear gloves and an apron. Amidol, another developer, causes severe skin and clothing stains. Wear gloves and an apron.

Irritant Poisons:
Common Non-Metallic Irritant Poisons. Pyrogallic Acid: Usage: Photographic Development, Hair Dyes and Inks.

jaborandi (the slobber) plant

The name "jaborandi" derives from an Amazonian word meaning "slobber weed", as the use of it causes intense salivation. Jaborandi, also known as alfavaca in parts of South America, is marketed in the United States and in Latin America as an ingredient in shampoo. In earlier times, Brazilians believed that if they applied jaborandi to their heads it would prevent baldness.

Same as Kudzu Root...Korean

Jaborandi ( Pilocarpus jaborandi: Local name: Indian Hemp.

CAUTION!! This herb is HAZARDOUS.

This plant is the source of pilocarpine. A hair tonic made from the dried leaves of this South American shrub, is used (externally) by the native peoples to open the scalp pores, with the aim of stopping premature baldness.
Once again we find an herb where Jethro Kloss' book "Back to Eden" offers up misleading information. Under the name "Indian Hemp" (but using the Latin name for Jaborandi), Kloss recommends using this herb to treat asthma and pleurisy. Jaborandi can SEVERELY AGGRAVATE these conditions!!

written by Camelia Kinslow

What on Earth is Japanese Hair Straightening?

Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning is a method of permanently straightening or relaxing over curly hair. It is called "Japanese Hair Straightening" because this system originated in Japan. Unlike previous hair straightening methods used over the years, this Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning system can be done on any hair type and can even be applied to hair that has been colored, treated with henna or lightened.

Ingredients
Ammonium thioglycolate is the main solution used in Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning. This solution has a lower pH balance than the caustic sodium hydroxide or ammonium thioglycolate found in regular hair straightening products. Calcium hydroxide is also another ingredient used in regular hair straightening. It is not used professionally and is found in home care hair straightening products. Calcium hydroxide leaves the hair cuticle open and the hair feeling dry.The pH or potential hydrogen, is the measurement for the acid content in a solution. It is usually measured on a scale of 0.0 to 14. o; 0.0 being mild (acid) and 14.0 being corrosive (alkali). 7 is the neutral point as in the pH balance of distilled water. The ammonium thioglycolate used in Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning has a pH balance of below 10.0; the exact figure varies, depending on the quality of the products. Better quality products have a lower percentage of active ingredient and lower pH balance of ammonium thioglycolate. This factor contributes a lot to the pricing of a Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning service. Other factors considered in a good Japanese Hair Straightening or Thermal Reconditioning treatment include the application of expensive hair oils and proper equipment such as the use of correct thermal irons that can reach temperatures of up to 356 degrees Fahrenheit. ( I know what you are thinking about. Don't worry; a skilled technician will not burn your hair and these irons are designed not to damage your hair.)

http://www.camspirit.com/JapaneseHairStraightening.html

CAUTIONS:
Doing the process on hair that shouldn’t be done to begin with. Interchanging Ammonium Thioglycolate with Hydroxide relaxer/straightener or the reverse would cause severe and irreversible damage to the hair. It can also cause you to get a chemical hair cut. Do not use Thioglycolate products on hair that has been previously straightened using a Sodium Hydroxide base (lye). Do not use on hair already relaxed with a “Sodium Hydroxide-free” (No-lye) product, such as a Potassium Hydroxide, Lithium Hydroxide or Guanidine Carbonate relaxer base. You need a good growing-out period and a hair cut to remove the hydroxide straightened areas.

Caution: A strand test or coating the hydroxide relaxed sections with special proteins, conditioners and acidifiers cannot and will not accurately judge the reaction you will have. Quite often breakage of the hair due to the mixing of thioglycolate and hydroxide does not occur immediately, it may take a week or longer to start. Regardless of this warning, you will find some stylists who’ll do just that! It’s not worth it.

Also referred to as Thio Relaxers.

If you are familiar with Wash and Wear Relaxer, it seems to be very similar to the Brazilian Hair treatment and product discussed. Check out the website page:

http://www.jazma.com/faq.html

The "lye", "no lye" labels we believe are just an advertising angle. One chemical is sodium hydroxide, the others are typically calcium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide or lithium hydroxide all members of the hydroxide family and all deemed caustics. By them not being the exact chemical sodium hydroxide or "lye" as it is more commonly known, the other relaxers formulated within this group of hydroxides get to call themselves "no lye", but they are all related products in the same family.

Is having a Wash & Wear Relaxer™ in my hair anything like a curly perm?
Yes and no. Yes by the low maintenance involved in the daily upkeep, it really is wash & go hair. Many of our clients tell us that the save hours a week not having to have their hair blow dried or set if the don't want to. They have the freedom to make the decision to style and wear their hair without a lot of fuss when they are wearing a Wash & Wear Relaxer™.

No, in two main facts; first with curly perms (curls) it is not recommended that you set or blow dry your hair frequently. Curly perms, also referred to as Jheri curls or body waves, are done using products that contain as their main active ingredient ammonium thioglycolate, this chemical can be extremely drying to hair. This dryness has to be compensated for with an abundance of maintenance products. It's from this over compensation with maintenance products from which curly perms have the reputation of being "greasy". Secondly, no in the fact that we don't use perm rods of any kind when we process the hair, just Kerasoft® Release® Conditioning Creme Relaxer using our processing methods to achieve our Wash & Wear looks.

lithium and sodium Hydroxides

Again, these keep coming up in combination with the other ingredients for the Thermol Ionic Permanent Straightener hair treatment.

Hope this helps.

HennaJoy

Mahalialee4

Dear Henna Joy: I was very curious and very concerned as I know one bad choice usually as a result of ignorance and misinformation can be so costly. all that hard work down the drain...along with my H-A-Y- YUH!!! and Scarlett would lose it!!!
. Thank you so much for taking the time to research and respond. Your contributions and professionalism are priceless. Bonjour.
Mahalialee

Teva

What happen CarmelKiss did you find out what the Brazilian girls do to their hair? I am still waiting.

CaramelKiss

Hi Teva

I was out of town during school break visiting my in-laws, since that post, but now that school's back in session, I will be going there (one of my favorite spots) sometime in the next 2 weeks. I will take pen and paper with me and will return with an update!!

qtpi

Hey CK! I've been waiting in suspense for your update!!!! Have you gotten a chance to talk to anyone?

Teva

I am happy that you did not forget. I can't waiit. I am hoping to even see some pictures.

I know, I know! You could sneak the camera in and snap snap away. No one has to know.

Marseeya

OMG... i CANT REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I READ SOMETHING SO JUICY... I have been waiting to read the conclusion to this informative posting..CaramelKiss you gotta get back to us with this info
I'm in suspense! also I curious as to how the Brazilian women treat their hair on a daily ie; wash, condition and trimming if any, and how long does it take to grow mid back or bra strap???

Sweetpea000

Hi, I'm also Brazilian and before I came to this forum I really neglected my hair. I've done just about everything to it, relaxed it, bleached it, permed it, you name it, I've done it. I think that one of the reasons that my hair stayed on my head is because of the daily conditioner washes. I've been doing this forever now. it really helps with moisture. Also a lot of Brazilians also use conditioner as a leave in. I don't do this anymore as I'm trying out different products I learned about here in this forum.
Another reason that Brazilian women have long hair, is that Brazilian people are mutts. everybody, or just about, is mixed, so there is the genetics factor involved. My hair isn't that long, I guess it's because whenever I see a pair of scissors, I go crazy. I guess I'm a scissors happy person.It's been hard to control my impulses,but I'm hanging in there,and since I started lurking here, my hair has been it's best condition ever.

Marseeya

SWEETPEA000, THANKS FOR THE CLARITY ON THE DAILY CONDITIONING OF BRAZILIAN WOMEN.. i HAVE RECENTLY LEARNED OF DAILY CW HERE AT THE FORUM..BECAUSE MY HAIR IS OFTEN VERY DRY I WILL DEFINITELY STICK WITH CW, BUT I GUESS I SHOULD TRY IT DAILY ..THANKS