Breakage in the Crown Area...Need Help!!

mrshicks2002

Has anyone experienced breakage in the crown area before. If so what did you do to get it growing back.
My crown area seems to never grow longer than 5" long. It broke off in this area a couple of years ago and doesnt seem to want to grow longer than what it is now. I am now using BT and its still not getting any growth in that area, but everywhere else I dont have a problem with it growing.

Catina72

Yea, I can sympathize. It seems like this is my area that would always break off, especially after a relaxer. I will tell you what helped me, STRETCHING relaxers, avoiding heat, low ponytails or using the good hair day pins, extra moisturizer...I believe that is it. Good luck and HTH!

gymfreak336

The crown used to be my problem area, now it is one of my longest sections. What helped me was to cut off the damaged hair, rub stimulating oil on my scalp in those sections a couple of times a week. I also made sure I put a ton of conditioner on those areas when I washed. Make sure you are putting alot of tension on those areas either. Once I started rollersetting, it helped a lot.

mrshicks2002

Catina72 said:
Yea, I can sympathize. It seems like this is my area that would always break off, especially after a relaxer. I will tell you what helped me, STRETCHING relaxers, avoiding heat, low ponytails or using the good hair day pins, extra moisturizer...I believe that is it. Good luck and HTH!

Everything that you meantion above I am doing and have been since Feb of this year so hopeful it will start growing. I only use heat once a week when I deep condition, so do you think I could get by with just once a week or not at all until that area starts to grow.

mrshicks2002

gymfreak336 said:
The crown used to be my problem area, now it is one of my longest sections. What helped me was to cut off the damaged hair, rub stimulating oil on my scalp in those sections a couple of times a week. I also made sure I put a ton of conditioner on those areas when I washed. Make sure you are putting alot of tension on those areas either. Once I started rollersetting, it helped a lot.

Thanks and thats great to hear that its now your longest section and hopefully I can be mine. What kind of oils would your recommend, would rosemary or peppermint oil work.

gymfreak336

mrshicks2002 said:
Thanks and thats great to hear that its now your longest section and hopefully I can be mine. What kind of oils would your recommend, would rosemary or peppermint oil work.

You can add a couple of drops of peppermint or rosemary to any other oil you have, you don't need much. I used hairobics stimulating oil but any stimulating oil will work.

IrisDaVirus

I've always been prone to breakage in my crown because it's by far the most unruly portion of my hair and it's a magnet for breakage due to major tangles. Whenever I do my cw's, I make sure to be extra-gentle when I combing the conditoner threw my crown. This has helped me a lot.

cheetarah1980

My crown has always been my problem area. It's about 2-3 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. I've gotten better growth in this area by cutting down dramatically on manipulation. Protective styles really give this area a chance to thrive without breakage. This is the area of my head with the most shrinkage and tangles so I have to be extra careful when detangling, styling, and taking down twists and braids. I'd be sure to keep this area extra moisturized and also focus your protein treatments there as well. Hopefully I'll be able to say that this is my longest section in another year or so I can be in gymfreak's club.

turnergirl

There are so many problems with my crown. First of all it breaks and stays brittle at all times. It also does not curl at all. When I do wash and go's or twistouts. It's just weird. I have to detangle this part of my hair with care. Usually really thick conditioner and a little oil. Then I add a little castor oil to my leave in for that area only. It is a problem but I am managing it very very well right now.

Radianthealth

This is my problem area as well and it is where all of my 4Z hair is. I am treating this area gentle and keeping a close eye on it. I thought braids and baggying would help but they didn't so I will just be gentle and use the tips in this thread.

Good luck Ladies!

tapioca_pudding

I was JUST about to post about this! Yep, this is my prob area. Verrrrry slow to grow, quick to break. Its so thin up there. :( Been using BT but havent seen a difference in that area yet. I make sure to massage it a couple times a week (not really sure if that makes a difference or not?). And I started adding more moisture there too. So we'll see if it can thrive.

Cichelle

I have problems with this, too. It's actually just a small section that is unruly, doesn't curl or even feel the same way as the rest of my hair and is prone to breakage. I always put extra, extra conditioner on it when detangling. Lately, I have been using more natural butter and a protective spray on that one section and it seems to helping a lot. I never use heat and almost always wear protective styles. I don't know what would happen otherwise.

Junonia

I was parting my hair yesterday and I noticed some serious breakage in my crown area. I have a clump that is about an inch long:eek: :confused: :( . I have no clue on how this happened. I am going to give that area extra moisture and wear my ponytail lower. I don't think I will be going to the salon for a few months since that might be contributing to some of the damage.

InnerSoul

Catina72 said:

I do agree !!! My crown is prone to breakage as well... Obtaining a good moisture/protein balance in this area is crucial for me... But by stret. my relaxers and keeping it moisturized has helped this area come back to life(sort of speak...as I know all hair is dead:lol: )... Protein treatments also help.

MissB

I have the same problem. The advice given so far is right on the money. This winter I didn't take good care of my hair and of course that area suffered tremendously and broke off for the first time in a couple of years. My hair stylist was livid with me.

So, I got back on my rollersetting weekly regimen and pulled out the oils (grapeseed, jojoba, etc.) and it looks stronger. Now the goal is to get it to grow out again and blend in with the rest of the hair. I have three different hair types and the breakage is where the 4A and 4B meet.

If you follow the advice given in this thread, your hair will grow back. But, it does take time and patience.

MissB said:
I have the same problem. The advice given so far is right on the money. This winter I didn't take good care of my hair and of course that area suffered tremendously and broke off for the first time in a couple of years. My hair stylist was livid with me.

So, I got back on my rollersetting weekly regimen and pulled out the oils (grapeseed, jojoba, etc.) and it looks stronger. Now the goal is to get it to grow out again and blend in with the rest of the hair. I have three different hair types and the breakage is where the 4A and 4B meet.

If you follow the advice given in this thread, your hair will grow back. But, it does take time and patience.
Me too! Except my stylist told me "It's just hair, we'll grow it back". I mean I appreciated her being positive and trying to be encouraging, but I wanted to say "it's not just hair!" :naughty: LOL. Besides letting my eating habits become very poor, I believe that from January to March I must not have been moisturizing that area properly at all. I have no idea how I didn't notice it as it was happening.

I ended up having about an inch or so trimmed all over, and it's still shorter where it broke off. I began co-washing or washing 3 times a week, doing protein treatments as needed, and deep conditioning at least once a week. I've also been keeping my hair well moisturized, using carrot oil on my ends and in the problem areas, and applying boundless tresses daily. I don't use heat on my hair, but I didn't before it started to break either. When my stylist saw me last week for a the first time in a month, she was impressed with the condition of my hair and said that it was growing back, and very healthy.

Reading the advice of all the ladies on LHCF has really helped me determine what I need to do to keep my hair healthy, and I also think that if you follow their advice in this thread and others, you will be successful growing your hair back.

iCandey

this used to be my problem area too and it inspired me to stop relaxing. Before once it reached a certain length it would break. Now it is growing nicely. There are many threads on this that could provide more info. I remember one girl pressing that area instead of relaxing and it helped. My problem with that area started with a scalp infection I think from a bad relaxer, my crown was sooo tender - after that constant breakage there.... I wrote about it in a thread.... HTH

GoldenBreeze

Another crown area problem child checking in. :) My crown has always been more dry, and a different texture than the rest of my hair. I always use extra conditioner, oil, and moisturizer on that area. Even if I don't massage my whole head daily, at least I massage the crown. Doing this allows me to keep the that area at the same length as the rest of my hair. If I forget or get lazy with the extra care, I still monitor my crown lenght. When it gets 1/2 in shorter than the rest of my hair, I start being diligent with the extra care.

gn1g

stress in my life causes my hair to break in that area and gives me headaches in that area of my head.

taraglam2

mrshicks2002 said:
Has anyone experienced breakage in the crown area before. If so what did you do to get it growing back.
My crown area seems to never grow longer than 5" long. It broke off in this area a couple of years ago and doesnt seem to want to grow longer than what it is now. I am now using BT and its still not getting any growth in that area, but everywhere else I dont have a problem with it growing.

This happened to me after 2 years of continuous color and face framing and partial highlights. I found LHCF started deep conditioning with heat and applying over generous amounts of conditioner to that area---extra extra saturation. NEXXUS Humectress was the best for my hair back then. I used NEXXUS Humectress as a leave in for that area. After a while it started growing like the rest of my hair. It took TLC, time and patience.

The stylist that I had doing the highlights & color at that time would always trim that area and try to make it even but it would never grow, just continue to get ragged, dry and break. Yes I have been there but with LHCF and lots of hair love that the breakage resolved.

MissB

After reading this thread, I examined that area last night before I washed it. And it is growing in nicely. So, I just wanted to reiterate that if you provide the broken area with TLC, it will thrive.

klassykutie

I have prob. with crown , too. Been using Boundless Tresses, and it has been doing very well, and stretching relaxers. Also, when I do relax crown, it is the last place I hit with the creame. Don't keep it on that long. HTH.

Keedah

Ive been having breakage in the crown area also. I have been wearing a half wig for the past 2-3 months and its right where my flat twists end and I put it in a nubian knot. So this week I got my mom to cornrow the front and she ended it a little farther back. I have been using BT too

Radianthealth

I am changing what I eat as well.

I will try to incorporate daily

Carrot Juice
Blueberries
Aloe Vera Juice
Chlorophyl
Spirulina
Soy Protein
Oil Pulling
Dark Green Veggies
Flax Seed Oil
Iron Supplement
& Maybe a Multivitamin

I think lack of proper nutrition has played a role in the health of the hair that is on my head now. I plan to grow stronger more lush hair by taking care of the insides :)

Externally I still do scalp massages and Use Aveda Damage Remedy

Last edited:

Babychoc

Does anyone know if wearing ponytails all the time can cause breakage in the crown? I wear my hair in a ponytail daily and I have crown breakage. I'm wondering if the ponytails could've contributed to this?

RubyWoo

Babychoc said:
Does anyone know if wearing ponytails all the time can cause breakage in the crown? I wear my hair in a ponytail daily and I have crown breakage. I'm wondering if the ponytails could've contributed to this?

Yes it can. Was your ponytail a high ponytail positioned right on the crown? Anytime you consistently place stress/tension on the hair, you increase your chances of breakage in the stressed area. When I was a teenager, I had this same problem. I use to wear high ponytails all the time and I eventually got breakage at my crown. Once I stopped wearing the high ponies and changed my hairstyles, my crown thrived and breakage ceased. If you want to wear ponytails, make sure you change the position of your ponytail every time you wear one and that the ponytail holder isn't too tight. It also helps to make sure you use a ponytail holder that is ouchless or doesn't have that metal piece in the middle. HTH!

Babychoc

Nixx said:
Yes it can. Was your ponytail a high ponytail positioned right on the crown? Anytime you consistently place stress/tension on the hair, you increase your chances of breakage in the stressed area. When I was a teenager, I had this same problem. I use to wear high ponytails all the time and I eventually got breakage at my crown. Once I stopped wearing the high ponies and changed my hairstyles, my crown thrived and breakage ceased. If you want to wear ponytails, make sure you change the position of your ponytail every time you wear one and that the ponytail holder isn't too tight. It also helps to make sure you use a ponytail holder that is ouchless or doesn't have that metal piece in the middle. HTH!

Hey thanks for the advice! This is exactly what I was doing wrong. I did wear tight high ponytails in the same exact spot! I should've known better :( Oh well, a very hard lesson learned. Lately, I have been using the ouchless bands without the metal pieces though when I do wear a pony.

Radianthealth

After four dermatologists, I finally have a diagnosis for my gradually thinning and brittle area in the back of my head with the altered texture:..

"Central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia is the term used to describe the crown and vertex scarring forms of alopecia that primairly affect women...CCCA develops in roughly circuluar patch on the corwn and/or vertex regions of the scalp. the scarred area typically increases in size circumferentially as it progresses....The remaining hair entrapped in the scarred zone is shorter, brittle and more fragile than hair remaining in the posterior scalp"

Basically, there is irritatation deep in the scalp (which why the surface of my scalp looks normal) that appears periodically, that is damaging my hair follicles. It took four derms to finally get a straight answer, and I thank God before I got any bald spots which would be permanent.

I hope this helps someone as my derm says most people who she's diagnosed with this have either not known what the problem was or had dermatologists who didn't know what was wrong.

see http://www.carfintl.org/faq.html for more info

http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=50&t=51610

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_2_34?pnum=2&opg=102452890

http://www.skinandaging.com/article/1323

http://www.farrellmanual.com/topical/emu.htm

Good article about hair breakage in African American Women

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Basically it seems that some crown breakage in African American Women is caused by inflamation from Central Centrifugal Scarring Alopecia.

I am going to start using Emu Oil on the scalp and report on the progress of this area. All of the symtoms described seem to fit what is going on in my crown area.

• Tenderness
  • Thinner & Shorter Hair
  • Itchiness
  • In the crown area
I am also going to try to find a good dermatologist