Breakage in the crown!!!!

Radianthealth

I have been bunning and baggying like a maniac and the front of my hair is beautiful but my crown area is about 2-3 inches long with some scragily pieces that are longer than the rest. It doesn't help that I have fine hair. I tried to wear my hair down and it looked crazy:(

My crown is the most coiled area of my head. It gets kinda brilloish in the middle:look: . I think this tight tight tight curl/z pattern has led to most of the breakage. I also self relax and I am sure that some of the damage comes from not being able to reach this area very well to ensure that there is no overlapping:(

I am now 12 weeks post and I was going to relax but I don't think I will.

Since my hairline has grown back and I now know the proper way to care for braids I was thinking about doing the crown and glory method for a couple of months to nurse my crown area back to health.

I plan to take before pictures of my crown area and I would like to utilize the method at least until May (My 1 year anniversary)

Is crown and glory method and stretching my relaxer a few extra months the best way to nurture and promote growth in my crown area?

If not what would you ladies suggest?

-Trimbride

TemiLnd

Hey,
Well I bun but just a few days at a time. Maybe if you shift the position of your bun often or try another protective style that doesn’t but any strain on your locks. Try a French roll or Bantu knots. This will vary your protective styles and help grow back your crown area. Maybe some castor oil or coconut oil attention is required.
I also use the C&G when my hair is not in braids so you should be fine to carry on with that.
Good luck ;)

InnerSoul

Are u doing any protein treatments? if u do, u have to moisturize immediately after b/c when I do mine my hair is harder and promotes tangles.. so I definitely have to moisturize after protein to prevent any more breakage.

I don't bun or baggy for myself..maybe u just need more of a protein/moisture balance concentrating on that main crown area. Honestly my crown is the tighter coils too(4a) the nape of my hair is 3c(looser waves). In my experience and info I have been reading is that the tighter the curl/coil the drier it is with less moisture so if your crown is 4b it will be drier and needs more moisture. So somehow find the proper protein/moisture balance in the crown area. hth;)

lil'paw

Your crown maybe the more sensitive area of your head. Is it thin in that area also? It sounds to me like you may have some over-processing going on or maybe when you relax your pulling and working the relaxer too much in that area. I wouldn't self relax anymore if I were you.

Another thing..Do you doobie wrap you hair using the big pins? This could be a culprit as well. When I was relaxed I used to doobie my shoulder length hair all the time, so between the pins and the relaxer that area of my head suffered.

Radianthealth

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I don't think my stylist did a good job of relaxing either so I am just going to have to get better at relaxing because at this time going in to a stylist isn't an option for me.

I don't wrap my hair so that isn't the culprit.

I keep the area extra moisturized and I am very careful with detangling. I think all the overprocessed ends are just snapping off because there is just too much of a difference between my texlaxed hair and the overprocessed stuff from my ex-stylist and my first attempt at self-relaxing.

I think crown and glory may be the way to go. I will be extra extra gentle and cleanse the scalp often and try to maintain a nice protein moisture balance.