Breaking, Dry and Dull Hair....OH MY!!!!!!

KizzieNapps

S.O.S. Someone help PLEaSSe!!!! My hair is a mess. :wallbash: I can't get it to stop breaking. Its very healthy from the top to the middle but the bottom inch and a half or so is severly damaged. Somebody tell me there's hope!!! :nono:. I went to a salon yesterday and the stylist asked me to try Biolustre which supposedly will repair my hair in one session and stop the breakage. She also suggested that I try a "Brazillian Straightener" instead of relaxers because my hair doesn't take relaxers well..never has; it doesn't stay straight longer than 2 weeks without the help of a blowdryer or a good flat iron and my hair's growth usually slows down quite a bit in the first 6 weeks. So my first question is this...is this lady just trying to get my money or should I give these things a try?? :spinning: Has anyone ever tried either one?

What Have I been doing?
I'm glad you asked...I've been taking better care of my hair:look:. I think I may need to clarify though, I haven't in about 2 months when my clarifying shampoo ran out:ohwell:. My hair doesnt respond well to oils and just a bunch of product in general. It looks moisturized for about 30 mins..and then it is severly dry again. I've done elasticity tests on my hair; it passed. Been adding castor oil to my ends and using profectiv sparingly every day (Profectiv is the only thing I've found so far that helps even a little bit). I wash and deep condition at least once a week. I've tried baggying...it has the same effect as the moisturizers; helps for a little while, then back to dryness. What else should I be doing?? What am I doing wrong?? HeEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!:perplexed

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Sorry to hear this is happening to you :sneakyhug: I know there are many ladies here who defeated the breakage issue - hopefully some will chime in. I know when my hair is feeling pretty dry, I lay off the protein for a while. Even too much proteing in your diet can lead to brittle hair. HTH

malibu4590

I'd hold off on the Brazilian Straightener. Relaxers and "straighteners" damage the hair regardless. No need to damage your already breaking hair. What are you DCing with? That could be the culprit in why your hair is still so dry. Sounds like you need a good moisturizing conditioner like ORS Replenishing Conditioner.

Maybe other folks will chime in to help.

Sade'

Hi Justluvztweety...this can be very discouraging. The thing you do not want to do is rely on a straightener to help. Not really familiar with a Brazilian Straightener. Seems like your external methods are good...baggying, moisturizing, oil etc. Have you tried S-Curl Moiturizing Spray?? Also internally are you taking any Omega 3's or fish oils? That helps to add luster along with other hair skin and nail vitamins. Needless to say copious amounts of water, no heat and protective styles will help. The vitamins will help with the new hair but the old hair...all I can suggest is to double up on your moisturiers and oils, deep condition with heat, wear a satin scarf at night and protect it from the outside elements with a bun for a while. That's my 2 cents. :yep:

KizzieNapps

Sorry to hear this is happening to you :sneakyhug: I know there are many ladies here who defeated the breakage issue - hopefully some will chime in. I know when my hair is feeling pretty dry, I lay off the protein for a while. Even too much proteing in your diet can lead to brittle hair. HTH

That's exactly how my hair feels...The profectiv I use has protein in it. I think I'll try cutting down on that. Thank you for your help and sympathy.

KizzieNapps

I'd hold off on the Brazilian Straightener. Relaxers and "straighteners" damage the hair regardless. No need to damage your already breaking hair. What are you DCing with? That could be the culprit in why your hair is still so dry. Sounds like you need a good moisturizing conditioner like ORS Replenishing Conditioner.

Maybe other folks will chime in to help.

I've been using a normal conditioner and I read in another thread that I should be using a conditioner that was actually created for deep conditioning...Who would've thunk??:drunk: I will definitely leave off the straightener; I just dont have a good feeling about it. I'm going to have to leave off relaxers as well...they're doing nothing for my hair. I'm afraid to go natural - I need another alternative. Maybe I should try texlaxing :ohwell:. Thank you for the advice:grin:

KizzieNapps

Hi Justluvztweety...this can be very discouraging. The thing you do not want to do is rely on a straightener to help. Not really familiar with a Brazilian Straightener. Seems like your external methods are good...baggying, moisturizing, oil etc. Have you tried S-Curl Moiturizing Spray?? Also internally are you taking any Omega 3's or fish oils? That helps to add luster along with other hair skin and nail vitamins. Needless to say copious amounts of water, no heat and protective styles will help. The vitamins will help with the new hair but the old hair...all I can suggest is to double up on your moisturiers and oils, deep condition with heat, wear a satin scarf at night and protect it from the outside elements with a bun for a while. That's my 2 cents. :yep:

No, I haven't tried the moisturizing spray:scratchch. I will read up on it and give it a try. I do take supplements; Fish Oil is one of them. I've been doing protective styles and eliminating heat except to deep condition, sleeping in satin scarfs and bonnets. And my hair is still breaking, dull and dry...I just dont get it! I mean what more does it want?!!?!? :wallbash:

P.S. Thank you for your help:grin:

When I first joined LHCF I had a similar problem my hair was really dry and damaged. I went to the salon where I had it relaxed and chopped (to remove the damaged areas). Then I began "the battle". My stylist told me she hadn't seen a scalp so badly dry in ages and that i should be washing my hair at LEAST once a week. I tried that an it was still dry and breaking. Then I tried using Aphogee Intense protein treatment ( the breakage lessened a bit but didn't completely stop). After this I got on the boards and asked essentially the same question as you. Then I tried the following:
I wash my hair 2x a week religiously.
The first wash is a CO wash.
I follow with a DC b/c my hair is just horribly dry (I use ORS DC).
I do the DC under a hard dome dryer 20-45mins
I follow with a Honey Rinse (recently upgraded to a ACV/honey rinse)
I put in Phyto 9 as my leave in conditioner (I was using NTM Leave in but it wasn't working)
I follow with Cantu Shea butter serum
I then spritz liberally with Kenra wet set and water (1-5 ratio)
Finally I do a flexy rod set and I let it air dry in a satin scarf.
Opps I forgot to mention I ALWAYS prepoo (1st overnight with phytopolleine) then the day of with maybe some conditioner that never did much for my hair mixed with coconut oil, glycerin, and peppermint EO dry. I place a shower cap on for about 1hr or two (depends on the week honestly). Then I do the above.
I never ever use flat irons or any direct heat (this is when I noticed my hair finally started to improve. I don't think a straightening method will help you b/c if your hair is already dry and breaking more heat will not help. STAY AWAY FROM PRODUCTS WITH PROTEIN RIGHT NOW:naughty: They will make your hair even drier and more brittle. I moisturize my end with either S-curl no drip or Elasta QP Mango butter or ORS Olive Oil Moisterizer and I seal with coconut oil. I give myself a scalp massage with joijoba oil/rosemary EO/peppermint EO/and WGHO every night. Thus far my hair has shown a marked improvement. :yep:. I never comb or brush my hair any longer it only broke off more dry and damaged areas :wallbash:. I really hope this helps you - I'm definitely no expert but since I started doing this my hair has started growing like crazy and now I get less little hairs (they are not all gone and it's a constant battle) and more long hairs with the follicle still on (the little white bulb).
Here's my original post about these issues - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=171703

Good luck and HHG!:weird:

KizzieNapps

Lucious Locs...thank you very much. That helps a lot. What is a honey rinse? Is it just honey mixed with water? Do you apply it like a conditioner?

Keep the suggestions coming ladies, :clapping:I have already learned something from each and every post so far. I have my pen and paper out. I can feel a trip to the BSS coming on.:driver:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I have tried the Qp mago butter did not work for me. ORs was ok but not so great. My best moisture provider is . Water and Glycerine. I mix them in a spray bottle with a little rosemary oil. a couple of sprays daily then I seal with Jamaican black castor oil. I use to have dry ashy looking hair not anymore.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
ORK Pak and Mango Butter have protein in them, I would steer clear of them and stick with purely moisturizing products.

Try pre pooing with a moisturizing conditioner mixed with some coconut or jojoba oil. Wash with an SLS free shampoo and dc with a moisturizing dc with heat. I would recommend doing this twice a week. You may even wanna throw in a few co-washes during the week, too. HTH!

Lucious Locs...thank you very much. That helps a lot. What is a honey rinse? Is it just honey mixed with water? Do you apply it like a conditioner?

Keep the suggestions coming ladies, :clapping:I have already learned something from each and every post so far. I have my pen and paper out. I can feel a trip to the BSS coming on.:driver:

A honey rinse - I do it with 3 very warm cups of water and dissolve 2 tbsp of honey in this. I let it cool and then i use it as the last step of my shampoo regimen. I make it the day before and put it in a container so that it gets really cool almost cold - and this seals my cuticles. I understand that ElastaQP Mango Butter has protein in it however the dose is very low and I was simply listing some of my moisturizers. I'm not sure what ORS olive oil the person above is referring to but the one I use (the moisturizing hair lotion) doesn't have ANY protein in it and would probably be your best bet along with the water and glycerin. As to the water and glycerin - I think that's a great idea however because I live in a cold climate when I have class at 8am sharp in the morning running out the door with a wet-ish head is just asking for trouble since I'm prone to developing head colds :blush:. If you aren't though you could try that or you could try it at night before you go to sleep. I moisturize my ends 2x a day. I have recently amended my honey rinse to an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse with honey and rosemary oil - that works even better I couldn't find the link but I put it up yesterday so it should still be around.

I have to say honestly no matter what anyone tells you it takes time to know your own hair and the products that will work. I've bought things that other people have said worked wonders and I've seen results in some of my good friends. However, these products just didn't work for me :wallbash: That's why I call it the battle:swordfigh because knowing your own hair is a uphill battle and products or regimens that work for me and others won't necessarily work for you, but don't give up! I know the frustration you feel because I felt it myself and I felt like my hair was betraying me with all the hard work and money I was/am putting into it's care. Eventually, your hair will respond and you'll get the results you want - you can PM if have anymore questions and I'd be happy to help/hear the results of your efforts! Good luck girl :thumbsup:

KizzieNapps

Thanks for the help everybody!! I actually feel encouraged now:yep:. I went and picked up a clarifying shampoo - Puriphying by Mizani. Hopefully that will make a difference and clear out some of the protein that I've overloaded my hair with:wallbash:. Picked up a deep conditioner by Mizani as well and a leave in by KeraCare that I really like to replace the profectiv I've been using everyday. I'm going to try to start doing CO washes during the week. Maybe that will help with the dryness. I think I'm also going to try the biolustre that the stylist recommended just because I want to know if it actually works.

If anyone else has anymore tips keep sending them in!! Thanks for the support!! I love LHCF!!!:circle: