Bun for Growth Challenge

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Just wondering..... Are we doing updates on March 31, which is on par with some of the other challenges or before since it officially started in Oct? I didn't officially start until Dec, but I was asking so I can plan my relaxer around that date.

baddison

natural for good
OK....here I am checking in again. February is over, and I have completed yet another month of continuous bunning. I currently wash 2times per week. DC with heat at every wash, air dry, and bun. I am also applying MT nightly to my scalp only. All of this should get me to BSL by December 31st 2009!!!:yep:

RegaLady

I am bunning, but I am just taking my ponytail and wrapping under the holder. Does this count. I don't have enough hair for donut bunning.

supermodelsonya

I'm not officially in this challenge but I am a lurker. I bun every day faithfully with NO heat. I wish my hair was longer and thicker for a pretty bun like many of you ladies have...but with my Bee Mine and MT...it will get there.

carry on.........

ImFree27

will be doing an update thread in a week or less, so you can post your updates for the month of march or if some want to do it on the 31st. Then there will be a summer check in and finally a before an after from OCt. 08 to OCt 09

kandake

I am bunning, but I am just taking my ponytail and wrapping under the holder. Does this count. I don't have enough hair for donut bunning.

Hey,

This what I'm doing too. My hair is not long enough for a donut or anything else for that matter. I've been calling it a bun so you can too. LOL.

Brees_hair

I bun very oftern as well. Just got a touch up yesterday, hair currently wrapped and may wear it down tommorow but I am sure it will be pinned up by lunch. I bun as a daily style because of convience and comfort.

AngelDoll

I'm still bunning. I will probably do an update sometime in April, since I am trying to go without direct heat for this whole year. I will figure out a way to show my progress.

The 5th picture on top row in my siggy was taken on 2/21/09 and I believe I made some progress. My ends are much fuller; that is what I was trying to achieve. I'm no really sure if I gained any length though. But I am thrilled to have fuller ends.

Last edited:

Butterfly08

Hi ladies,

Unfortunately I will have to drop out as well since I am experimenting with many PS. I still bun 2x a week. I will be following your updates though! :up:

MissNina

Libra Girl
I'm taking a bunning break until my next relaxer in about 2-3 weeks. I'm at 13 weeks post and bunning 24/7 ups the amount of tangles I get. Detangling is easier when I don't bun much during this time. I will be bringing out the Chi once a week and will be wrapping until I relax.

I'll picking it right back up after.

mscocoface

Okay I always wanted to join the challenge but for me to place my hair in a bun to say the least would be a monumental feat!

I am in a couple of other challenges and I just didn't see how it would be possible to add this one.

Well, necessity is the mother of invention and I decided that for the next month or so I wanted my hair to be up and off my shoulders while still in twists in a protective style.

Sick I know.

But, lo and behold I found a way to do to.

I will be sporting different types of buns now that I have figured out a way to bun this stuff.

This is that rasta hair I got from Sallys a loooong time ago and continue to keep using. My concern had been having my hair hang and having thar be an issue with length since my hair even though in a protective style with extensions can still be brushing up against clothes, sweaters, etc.

Here are pics of my first bun ever with this hair. I have done a variation of this but I have always had to pin it up with lots of hair pins or hair clips. This one I did six braids, three on each side. I twisted the middle two braids together then added the bottom two braids and then the top two braids, I think. :blush: Or vice versa, I forget which now.

Front looks similar to this design. I did a retouch last Friday.

I can now keep my hair up and not have to use any combs or clips and just two or three strategically placed hair pins. :yep:

If it wasn't for seeing this thread regularly I may have given up on even trying.

You ladies are the absolute best. Now I need to go find me some seriously fierce earrings!

ScarletPhoenix

I wish I had found this sooner. I have been bunning for 2 weeks now, well tracking but u started before that. I have noticed a huge difference so I know when I do my length check at my halfway point and a year there is going to be a huge difference

ImFree27

Good to see the ladies who are still bunning...I'm loving it, its so easy for a weekday hairstyle, so you ladies won't get boerd be creative with your buns, take some pieces out, curl it or something, do a low or high bun, add accessories...I have been bunning 7 days a week sometimes i do my hair on the weekends, but haven't lately, since its getting warmer. a wash and bun will be my style, my hair stays moisturized when I wet it often....

Faith

I'll join you guys unofficially. Buns worked for me in the past (I did it with the baggy method) and I'm going to try them again but this time with fake hair added to my own to add some thickness..Length is good but thickness needs some help.

Good luck ladies :)

baddison

natural for good
Checking in....as we come to the close of another month, and the 1st quarter of the year. I am happy to report that I am still faithfully bunning everyday. this challenge has been soooo good to my hair. I used my quarterly boot camp pass to end my 13week stretch on March 21st. I have gained about 2 inches of growth:blush:. My ends are healthy and my hair is noticeably thicker.:yep: I am looking forward to what bunning for an entire year will do for me!!!

Happy hair growing to all!!!:spinning:

topnotch1010

************UPDATE************

This is my quarterly update. I got a blunt cut about two weeks ago. I have been bunning out of laziness almost daily. Reggie: Wash every 2-3 days with Keracare 1st lather shampoo, towel dry, apply Shescentit Green Grape Leave-in Condish, apply Hairveda Green Tea Herbal Hair Butter, then bun. If I decide to flat iron, I use CHI Silk Infusion, then my Sedu temp betwen 280-320 deg. I DC once per week and texlax around 6 weeks.

Sorry for the HUGE pics!!!

Faith

I'm kind of against buns or putting your hair in a pony tail because this usually pulls the hair which can lead to thinning.

You don't have to use a pony tail holder or scrunchie to bun. I have seen chinese buns which are done with bobby pins and one stick. There's Southern Teaser's Bun. You can also get a satin scrunchie and not pull the hair tightly.

Is it too late to join in??

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
Wow....coming to the close of another month. I am so proud to say that i have been bunning FAITHFULLY every single day. My hair is retaining so much length. I am not suffering from any unusual or excess breakage or shedding. I am so happy to have found this challenge. I plan on going strong until Dec 31st, 2009 (..Lord willing...:yawn:)....and then all those who know me will have the shocker of the century!! LOL!:lachen:

I'm shooting for BSL by the last day of the year. Bunning regularly is certainly helping to achieve this goal. Along with my regimen of wahsing and DC'ing 2x per week, henna 1x per month....this is awesome!! I hope to be APL by my next progress report, end of 2nd quarter!!!

Lets keep up the awesome work ladies!!! :wow:

baddison

natural for good
************UPDATE************

This is my quarterly update. I got a blunt cut about two weeks ago. I have been bunning out of laziness almost daily. Reggie: Wash every 2-3 days with Keracare 1st lather shampoo, towel dry, apply Shescentit Green Grape Leave-in Condish, apply Hairveda Green Tea Herbal Hair Butter, then bun. If I decide to flat iron, I use CHI Silk Infusion, then my Sedu temp betwen 280-320 deg. I DC once per week and texlax around 6 weeks.

Sorry for the HUGE pics!!!

Awesome progress.

New Month... = ....More Bunning!!! :YAAY:

topnotch1010

I'm taking a 3 month hiatus from this challenge. I blunt chopped a few days ago, and will be wigging out for the next few months. I'll be back in September. Good luck to all.