Bun for Growth Challenge

ImFree27

I'm in. I'm trying to get used to wearing my hair up, so this would be perfect.
My goal is to wear buns during the week and down on Saturday and Sunday.

Are there any rules to the challenge?
A few ladies have asked about passes, so maybe you could clarify if it has to be in a bun everyday.

Your hair have to be in a bun at least 5 out of the 7 days during the week. Weekend passes are good to switch it up so you don't have too much tension on your hair...I think thats what i'm gong to do..

tsturnbu

damp bunning has allowed me to retain tremendous length! I love my buns! Buns will make reach tailbone length!

TLC1020

I definitely want in on this challenge... :yep::yep: :grin::grin:

I don't know if there is a challenge to bun for growth or retention challgene. If so please direct me to it, if not, lets start one now. Since its geting colder, I think this will be a good protective style and its easy and doesnt take that much time.
If you want to join include how you will be bunning, how often, products etc...This will also be a great thread to show how unique we can be with our buns..
Every 3 months we can will be update pics on how much length you retain from bunning..This will be a year long challenge so it will end in October 09....I know there was a thread where this girl bun for a year to get waistlength hair... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=109466

Use your passes as you see fit so you don't get boerd with the same style for me, I may wear my hair out on Saturdays and Sundays and bun the other 5 days or I may just bun 7 days..

Challengers
ImFree27
MrsLack
Str8~curly
Anancy
Elis829
Nikki2229
Butterfly08
MCrzyGr

ResultsMayVary

Okay ... I'm in ...
For a whole year?!! This should be interesting!!! :grin:

Off to stock up on panty hose and conditioners ... :drunk:

MissNina

Libra Girl
I already said I'm in, but another reminder that you can use half wigs in order to keep your hair bunned up 7 days a week but still have some variety and BANGING styles :grin: :yep: ESP if you are SL or lower I def recommend this. Bunning 24/7 with half wigs was helping me get to APL from a bit past SL in no time. I'm bunning for BSL now. My ends get virtually no air bc they are always covered and it's been working!

Last edited:

Str8~Curly

your method is exactly want but I'm not sure how this would work with my big curly hair. To make a neat bun I feel forced to use a ponytail holder to keep it in check and the swist the ends under, wich I feel is not really good for the ends. Maybe washed, moisturized, then a little gel and left to airdry that way?

Count me in. :yep: I bun about 4 - 5 days a week. Next week for 3 days my hair will be out for 3 business school receptions. After the last one on Wed I'll cw and bun it back up. :yep: I'm on the HYH challenge so this one fits in nicely. :yep:

I haven't experienced any breakage. I cowash, slick my hair back with my hands (no brush), add conditioner and loosely twist into a bun. I secure the bun with 2 large bobby pins (I love them when they get stretched out because they slide in quick and easy :lol:) and make sure to tuck my ends behind the top of the bun. This keeps them moist and out of the air. I don't use ponytail holders nor do I manipulate my wet hair very much. I take the bun out after no more than 2 days and my hair is as healthy as ever. :lick:

Str8~Curly

I just washed my hair, moisturized- especially focusing on the ends, and twisted each of these up like a bantu twist and secured them with small hair pins. I didn’t think it would stay in place if I did it in one, I am going to try to do that later on with some larger hair pins.

I noticed in the pic on the left sides my ends were sticking out a bit so I went and tucked them under.

ImFree27

I just washed my hair, moisturized- especially focusing on the ends, and twisted each of these up like a bantu twist and secured them with small hair pins. I didn’t think it would stay in place if I did it in one, I am going to try to do that later on with some larger hair pins.

I noticed in the pic on the left sides my ends were sticking out a bit so I went and tucked them under.

ahhh how cute, this is exactly how I was going to wear my hair this week to switch it from just doing one to take some of the tension off...This is cute, but I may use knee highs to hold it in place..my hair may not be longer enough to twist it without a pony holder.

LadyPaniolo

I'm SO IN, baby! :band2:

I'm a bit past APL now... I think that I will get to WL by bunning for a year. That is my goal. :armyhat:

So... who's using Hairagami, Magicbun, etc to make your buns? I'm going to buy these, as well as Hairzings, and use them to make cute updos.

I can't WAIT to swang my WL hair! :gorgeous:

soulie

I want to be in! I'm usually bunned up anyway, might as well get credit for it. My ponytail is secured with an olive-oil soaked "ouchless" ponytail holder. I'm using a foam donut that is well-wrapped in a silky sock and the whole thing is completed with a scrunchie around the bun to "capture" escaping hair.

At home is much simpler. I just finger-roll my ends under and secure with a hairpin or two. Out of my way, off my neck, but easy to take down to remoisturize. I probably won't even use any passes until Thanksgiving weekend after I have relaxed, and then again when I'm on vacation for Christmas.

Butterfly08

Very nice. :yep: To answer your earlier question, I have just learned to live with the fact that my hair will be wavy and crinkly. I forgot to add that after I slick my bun back with my fingers, I tie on a silky scarf, either overnight or for about 30 minutes. This helps to flatten my hair down. The crinkles are still there, only flatter, so it looks neat. :yep:

Anancy

Im so tryin to get tips, anything to aviod using hairbands to do my buns would be a bonus, but then again i doubt my hair is long enough.
What i have been trying to do is wear my ponytails lose and that feels better.

AngelDoll

Any more challengers????

Count me in, I have been bunning my hair 99% of the time since I started on my hair growth journey in March. I believe it has helped me retain all of my growth (see siggie).

OMG!!!!! I believe I have found my hair twin!!! Beautiful hair!!!

anyone use those hair sticks? Do they keep the bun secure by themselves?

I use hair sticks (wooden ones), the plastic ones break every time:ohwell:. I am able to keep my hair secure with them, I use two at a time. Once you get the hang of inserting them in your hair, you should not have any problem keeping your hair secure.

Sorry I don't have any pics with the sticks in my hair.

Str8~Curly

Thanks AngelDoll.

Count me in, I have been bunning my hair 99% of the time since I started on my hair growth journey in March. I believe it has helped me retain all of my growth (see siggie).

OMG!!!!! I believe I have found my hair twin!!! Beautiful hair!!!

I use hair sticks (wooden ones), the plastic ones break every time:ohwell:. I am able to keep my hair secure with them, I use two at a time. Once you get the hang of inserting them in your hair, you should not have any problem keeping your hair secure.

Sorry I don't have any pics with the sticks in my hair.

TriniStarr

I have a been bunning my hair since Nov/Dec. 07 and i have to say that it did help me retain a lot of lenght. In Nov/Dec 07, i started at shoulder lenght and from bunning since then, i am 1 inch away from bsl. I hope to be full bsl by my 1yr LHCF annves, which is in jan 09.

So yes add me to this bun for growth challenge. I am hope to be mbl or longer in Oct 09 with this challenge.

Thanks,
Trinistarr

Butterfly08

I have a been bunning my hair since Nov/Dec. 07 and i have to say that it did help me retain a lot of lenght. In Nov/Dec 07, i started at shoulder lenght and from bunning since then, i am 1 inch away from bsl. I hope to be full bsl by my 1yr LHCF annves, which is in jan 09.

So yes add me to this bun for growth challenge. I am hope to be mbl or longer in Oct 09 with this challenge.

Thanks,
Trinistarr

Cool, what an awesome testimonial for bunning! :grin: