Bun for Growth Challenge

Anancy

I have a been bunning my hair since Nov/Dec. 07 and i have to say that it did help me retain a lot of lenght. In Nov/Dec 07, i started at shoulder lenght and from bunning since then, i am 1 inch away from bsl. I hope to be full bsl by my 1yr LHCF annves, which is in jan 09.

So yes add me to this bun for growth challenge. I am hope to be mbl or longer in Oct 09 with this challenge.

Thanks,
Trinistarr

Awww thank you, that is so inspiring, i can just see myself with BSL hair this time next year lol.

Brees_hair

I naturally bun my hair, I teach so its easier to deal with during the day. I rarely wear my hair out, usually the next day after a visit to salon after I take my hair out of the pin wrap. To be honest, by 3pm, my hair is usually clipped up anyway. I am down for this...I will continuously do this even after I reach my goal. It just works out better, especially when I start wearing wool, and other texture tops that kill my ends.

Hot40

This is a challenge I would like to start, but My hair is nto long enough.
I have posted a photo of my hair taken two weeks ago.
If you can give me any idea on how to bun I would love it.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 32

Duchesse

This is probably the only challenge that I'll join that I will actually do! This works perfectly in with the APL by new years 09 that I'm in. I've been hovering at SL for months, I wasn't taking care of my hair like I should have.

The past two weeks I've worn my hair in an updo/bun/thingy with my bang...I'm gonna bang and bunnit. My hair is texlaxed and wearing it out often curly gets too tangly, so I wash/DC about every two weeks now, air dry in braids or maybe rollerset, put my bang in a bantu knot, then pin up the back and leave it. My leave ins are mainly cantu shea butter, castor oil, and a shea butter/aloe mixture I made. I'm experimenting with only combing on wash day, so far so good.

My hairstyle is admittedly a bit wack right now, I haven't been too creative with my buns. And I don't have the thickness/length for a donut bun.

starting length

"bun" thingy

I want to join! i think will bun during the wk days for sure. My hair is still about as long as my avatar pic, bsl.

Last edited:

Isis77

I'd like to join too! My hair isn't long enough to bun by itself, so I will probably go and buy a few phony-buns and tie my hair back with a knee-high pantyhose top. I plan on washing and conditioning twice a week, DC once a week and vary the position my bun is in once a week. I don't really wear my hair out much anymore these days what with school and all, so that won't be too frequent for me. (Probably once every month- a month and a half or so) I'll update with pics after I buy my phony-buns today! Hopefully I will be able to make it to full APL (maybe even BSL) by this time next year doing this. (My hair is currently hovering just above my shoulders but is not nearly as thick as I'd like for it to be. Hopefully that will change with this challenge! :yep:)

kgard7777

OP can you start a thread for us bun challengers to put our starting pics? I plan to post mine next week when I wear my hair down.

kgard7777

One last question OP and others on the challenge. Can we get more clarification on the heat passes etc? If I dont't know the rules I will run rampant with wearing my hair down lol!

unique4lyfe33

i would like to join. I have been wearing a donught bun for months now. It really has helped me retain some length. Im using NTM has a moisturizer and shakaki oil to seal. I will be wearing my hair in buns 7 days a week.

Last edited:

ImFree27

I'm SO IN, baby! :band2:

I'm a bit past APL now... I think that I will get to WL by bunning for a year. That is my goal. :armyhat:

So... who's using Hairagami, Magicbun, etc to make your buns? I'm going to buy these, as well as Hairzings, and use them to make cute updos.

I can't WAIT to swang my WL hair! :gorgeous:

we're aiming for the same goal. I'm apl and I want to be waistlength by next year...

ImFree27

One last question OP and others on the challenge. Can we get more clarification on the heat passes etc? If I dont't know the rules I will run rampant with wearing my hair down lol!

I think it would be best only to use heat once a month and bun 5 days out of 7 during the week and you can wear your hair out on the weekends but bun duriing the week...

I think I added everyone, if not pm me...

oooop2

Here is my routine..

I co-wash every night. I then apply oils and butters to my hair and place in Bantu knots. In the morning, I undo my knots and damp my hair w/a herbal spritz. I then pull my hair back into a bun and apply gel to my hairline to reduce the frizz look. I used to co-wash 2x/day, but I hated that that drippy feeling during the day.

Here is my starting bun pic and my current length is APL.

Hopefully this challenge will help keep me on track and not have the desire to cut my hair off....

Tee

Very nice. :yep: To answer your earlier question, I have just learned to live with the fact that my hair will be wavy and crinkly. I forgot to add that after I slick my bun back with my fingers, I tie on a silky scarf, either overnight or for about 30 minutes. This helps to flatten my hair down. The crinkles are still there, only flatter, so it looks neat. :yep:
The bold is true for me also.

Ladies, remember to move the placement of the bun every so often to prevent breakage if you are using ponytail holders.

SoAnxious12

oooh! can i join please?!? I need major help in retaining my length... and this just might be the challenge to help me! I'll post pics later...

Isis77

So I have created my bun look with my phony bun:

Right now my hair is neck length so I can make a stubby pony tail but not all of my curly hair can reach back into the pony tail. I washed with my Indian Shampoo bar, conditioned with Mane and Tail conditioner and moisturized with Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and sealed with Alma Oil. (I'll wash once a week instead of twice and do my DC with a heat cap weekly also) Then I put gel (IC Fantasia) on my sides and brushed my hair smooth into the pony-tail (my pony tail holder is a nylon top from a knee-high panty hose). Then I pinned the phony bun on over my pony-tail and voila!

My only question though is, does anyone think the brushing daily to smooth the edges will be too much? I don't loose any hair when I brush and I only plan on using heat once for halloween and......no plans to use heat anytime after that :grin:. So my main concern is just the brushing. Also, I don't brush to the ends, just the sides. I think once all of my hair can reach the ponytail, I will be able to brush less and just smooth my hair with my hands, but until then if I want smooth sides...I can only think of brushing.

Please let me know what you all think! Sorry so long! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

LovinLocks

. . . bun 5 days out of 7 during the week and you can wear your hair out on the weekends but bun during the week...quote]

Hi there,

Please include me, I'm down for this. :weird: Umm, or shall I say "up" for it. Get it, get it, I'll be bunning 'er up!!! :lachen: Ahem, um, okay, you had to be here.

LovinLocks

A big ha - ha

Have you ladies ever noticed when wearing the bun, ya head keeps hitting the head rest in the auto? Mine does!! It gets on my nerves, but really it's cool. Just something I've been meaning to ask yaw'll. :spinning:

asummertyme

Re: A big ha - ha

Have you ladies ever noticed when wearing the bun, ya head keeps hitting the head rest in the auto? Mine does!! It gets on my nerves, but really it's cool. Just something I've been meaning to ask yaw'll. :spinning:
i know, if i wear mines at the top of my head it always hits the roof of the car and messes it up as well..:perplexed

CheLala13

I'm transitioning and have been wearing buns until I get braids (hopefully this weekend)

Tell me I am not the only one that has hair poof up in the middle? I can never get the hair to lay down, scarf or not, when I put a ponytail holder in place, it causes this hump thing in the middle (not attractive)...the only time I was able to stop it was when I blewdry some of it in the middle, but I don't like direct heat.

Any help?

LovinLocks

Tell me I am not the only one that has hair poof up in the middle? I can never get the hair to lay down, scarf or not, when I put a ponytail holder in place, it causes this hump thing in the middle . . . Any help?

Yeah, can you say, SOCK CORE??? The sock bun style, and I don't have any er um "humps" . . . do I? :ohwell: psssst, ignore the end of da day sock peepin' through. :rolleyes:

tsturnbu

I don't know if there is a challenge to bun for growth or retention challgene. If so please direct me to it, if not, lets start one now. Since its geting colder, I think this will be a good protective style and its easy and doesnt take that much time.
If you want to join include how you will be bunning, how often, products etc...This will also be a great thread to show how unique we can be with our buns..
Every 3 months we can will be update pics on how much length you retain from bunning..This will be a year long challenge so it will end in October 09....I know there was a thread where this girl bun for a year to get waistlength hair... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=109466

Use your passes as you see fit so you don't get boerd with the same style for me, I may wear my hair out on Saturdays and Sundays and bun the other 5 days or I may just bun 7 days..

1st Starting Pics http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=292203

Challengers
ImFree27
MrsLack
Str8~curly
Anancy
Elis829
Nikki2229
Butterfly08
MCrzyGr
Pryncez524
TLC1020
Kgard7777
Missconstrue
MissNina
Chocokitty
Civic4800

joyousnerd
soulie
cookie1
AngelDoll
4mia
TriniStarr
Duchesse
oooop2
babydollhair

Luscious850
Isis77
CICI24
unique4lyfe33

count me in too! I have been "damp bunning" for a year now. It has definitely worked for me. Thanks!

LadyPaniolo

Re: A big ha - ha

Yeah, it sure is annoying. I tied a 100% silk scarf around my headrest. That way my hair doesn't suffer any breakage from rubbing all on that rough *** material on the headrest. Of course, if you have nice interior, it might not bother you... but my hoopty has sandpaper interior! :lachen: