Bunning + Wet Hair= Breakage???

Kurlee

I have begun protective styling and this includes after CO washing my hair putting it back in a bun. Does this cause breakage, since i'm putting it back while my hair is wet and it is drying stretched?

*Frisky*

Yes it can...make sure your band isn't really tight and try and soak it in some type of oil like Olive oil...this will help. Letting your hair airdry some before you ponytail it will help too...

CurliDiva

I needed to tweak my baggie routine a bit by let my hair AIR DRY slightly before baggie!

Constantly baggying WET hair just was not working!

Now my hair is now soft and moisturized versus just WET.

CAPlush

I think it can cause breakage, bun your hair very loosely. I just pin up the ends of my hair and don't use any band (but I have short hair).

taraglam2

Co-washing wet bunning works for me. My hair loves it. I use a silk/satin scrunchie and "bunn" the wet hair around that. I do not pull the hair super tight. I am extremely gentle and xtra protective when my hair is wet. My Rusk Smoother leave-in conditioner makes my hair lay nicely with out all the tension. I co-wash and wet bun daily in the SPRING / SUMMER. My hair loves it. Just have to be extra careful in how you bun. Be extremely gentle and take extra tender loving care or it definitely can cause some tearing of the strands or breakage.

Honi

There is no board.
No breakage for me. I do this on CO washes but I don't secure my hair with anything and its never, ever tight.

JustKiya

I think you just have to be sure that you aren't pulling your hair super tight - maybe do a slightly looser bun, and then use some pomade and a scarf to make it look SUPER slick.
I sometimes flattwist my hair when it's wet/damp, and I've learned that I HAVE to do the bits around my hairline/edges loosely, otherwise it will pull on the hair around the edges, and irritate my hairline majorly. I just make it look super smooth by judicious use of a do-rag!

sunshinebeautiful

For me, YES! I tried to pull my hair into a bun immediately after cowashingand I noticed breakage. Next time I'm going to let it airdry a bit before bunning.

fancypants007

Honi said:
No breakage for me. I do this on CO washes but I don't secure my hair with anything and its never, ever tight.

I agree. I have been bunning my hair wet since last March and I have no problems. The only thing I see is that I can't fit all of my hair under the hair donut that I use to make the bun, so I started just yesterday with wrapping some fake kankeoleon hair around my ponytail, braiding it, and then wrapping it around into bun and securing with hairpins. I'm still experimenting to make sure this new protective style will work for me. But I have been bunning my hair wet for a long time and I see no breakage.

HERicane10

sunshinebeautiful said:
For me, YES! I tried to pull my hair into a bun immediately after cowashingand I noticed breakage. Next time I'm going to let it airdry a bit before bunning.

I was experiencing mild breakage too and thought this might be the culprit, BUT I now think it was the wet bun-baggie combo and not JUST the wet bun. I usually CW and just flip-n-clip my hair up with one of those long duckbill clips you use to hold a wrap in place. NO tension, NO pulling!

Divine Inspiration

I agree that it shouldn't be tight. I would bun wet hair a lot in 2005, and I never had any problems with breakage. I did have tangling issues though so I had to start making a big braid, then wrapping it into a bun and pinning it. I didn't it down again until wash day. My hair really thickened up and thrived while I was doing this.

Lavendar

taraglam2 said:
Co-washing wet bunning works for me. My hair loves it. I use a silk/satin scrunchie and "bunn" the wet hair around that. I do not pull the hair super tight. I am extremely gentle and xtra protective when my hair is wet. My Rusk Smoother leave-in conditioner makes my hair lay nicely with out all the tension. I co-wash and wet bun daily in the SPRING / SUMMER. My hair loves it. Just have to be extra careful in how you bun. Be extremely gentle and take extra tender loving care or it definitely can cause some tearing of the strands or breakage.

I agree, even my fragile hair loves wet bunning. I did this for months and that's what made my hair get so much fuller so quickly. I made sure my hair was heavily moisturized and tied up well at night. I also did not comb into a bun, I just hung my head over and smoothed it into a bun with my hands. I saturated my ends with breakcure and coconut oil before twisting them around the base. But no breakage here....in fact, this was one of my miracle growth aids!

Babygurl

Ive been bunning wet hair for 3 years now and it hasnt caused me any breakage at all...Im very gentle with my hair and always make sure my buns arent too tight.