Calling all Butter Users!!!! I Need Some Advice

Angel of the North

I'm loving butters and have been looking for different types to try, so far I have used shea butter mixed with oils, mango and avocado butters. I love the shea butter and oil blend but I can't be bothered with the mixing or the mess and it is expensive to buy ready mixed. The mango butter is not bad but is a little sticky in comparison to the avocado butter which I absolutely love and I would like to find some more butters that are similar to the avocado butter, which I can apply straight to my hair without having to mix it with anything first.

The ones I am interested in are:
Aloe butter
Sweet almond butter
Grapeseed butter
Macadamia butter
Hempseed butter
pumpkin seed butter

Has anyone used any of these? How would you compare the the textures of the butters? Which one/s are close to the consistency of the avocado butter? TIA

VictoriousBrownFlower

My hair really liked hemp seed butter and the aloe butter. HEmp seed butter in particular made my hair feel really soft and moisturised. I use to put in on right after washing and after my leave in. It seemed to really hold in the moisture so I wouldnt have to remoisturise through out the week.

Aloe butter is pretty good. It has a soft consistancy like the hemp butter and avocado butter. It doesnt leave my hair greasy. It absorbs right into my hair. If I had to rate the three of them avocado would be first, hemp seed would be second, and aloe would be third.

Angel of the North

My hair really liked hemp seed butter and the aloe butter. HEmp seed butter in particular made my hair feel really soft and moisturised. I use to put in on right after washing and after my leave in. It seemed to really hold in the moisture so I wouldnt have to remoisturise through out the week.

Aloe butter is pretty good. It has a soft consistancy like the hemp butter and avocado butter. It doesnt leave my hair greasy. It absorbs right into my hair. If I had to rate the three of them avocado would be first, hemp seed would be second, and aloe would be third.

Thanks BronxJazzy this is just the type of info I'm after :yep:

Angel of the North

If you like avocado butter, you may want to give olive butter a go. It's lovely and seals in moisture extremely well

I saw olive and coconut butters but as I'm not a lover of the oils I thought I would stay away from the butters, I will look at the olive butter. I wonder what the coconut butter is like, is it anything like the solidified oil?

drmuffin

Hemp seed butter for the win. I will never use another butter ever. I get mine from camdengrey.com

loulou82

I love avocado butter. If you want a butter similar in texture then I recommend sweet almond, pumpkin seed, and definitely hemp. I have all of these including avocado in my current rotation. Any of them can be used alone or mixed together. They are all soft and highly emollient.

My preference would be avocado, then hemp, then pumpkin seed then sweet almond.

Last edited:

Angel of the North

I contacted a seller on ebay and done a deal for a sample of all their butters, there are 18 in total and they are charging me £20 including postage. I can't wait to start trying them all, if they aren't any good for my hair, I can always use them on my body. I will choose my top 6 and switch them up throughout the year. I will post my reviews of the butters once I have tried them all.

Angel of the North

So I got the butters, I checked them for the consistencies to work out which ones I liked the look of, but I was disappointed that there was no macadamia butter :sad:. I will list the butters in three categories but I will only be trying one list, as I use them I will come back and edit to post the reviews. Please post your reviews on any butters on the lists you have used, along with how you use it, your hair type and whether you're relax/texlax/natural, I'm sure it can help someone. I would love to hear from anyone who has used any of the butters on my no-no list, I want to see if you can tempt me :grin:

Butters to Try

Avocado Butter
Almond Sweet Butter
Aloe Butter
Grapeseed Butter
Hempseed Butter
Mango Butter
Olive Butter
Pumpkin Seed Butter
Soy Butter
Shea Butter RBD refined

Body Butters

Cocoa Butter
Shea Butter Unrefined
Shea butter refined Organic

Butters I would Not Even Try to Sample in My Hair on My Skin (solidified and strange smells)

Illipe Butter
Murumuru Butter (smells funky)
Sal Butter
Kokum Butter
Cupuacu Butter (smells funky)

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Will the solidified ones emulsify from the the heat/friction of your fingers? Well, the ones that are not funky. :lol:

Angel of the North

Will the solidified ones emulsify from the the heat/friction of your fingers? Well, the ones that are not funky. :lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: @ the bolded! I doubt very much if they would, I think the capuacu butter probably might but the others seem like they'd need melting down, more work than I'm ready for right now :look:

If anyone uses/has used these solidified butters, please come and share your experiences, how you prep/use them TIA

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

You have a nice list of butters to try.

I've tried unrefined shea butter. It did nothing for my hair. It left it dry but greasy. I know other people love it but I hated it.

DominicanBrazilian82

So I got the butters, I checked them for the consistencies to work out which ones I liked the look of, but I was disappointed that there was no macadamia butter :sad:. I will list the butters in three categories but I will only be trying one list, as I use them I will come back and edit to post the reviews. Please post your reviews on any butters on the lists you have used, along with how you use it, your hair type and whether you're relax/texlax/natural, I'm sure it can help someone. I would love to hear from anyone who has used any of the butters on my no-no list, I want to see if you can tempt me :grin:

Butters to Try

Avocado Butter
Almond Sweet Butter
Aloe Butter
Grapeseed Butter
Hempseed Butter
Mango Butter
Olive Butter
Pumpkin Seed Butter
Soy Butter
Shea Butter RBD refined

Body Butters

Cocoa Butter
Shea Butter Unrefined

Butters I would Not Even Try to Sample in My Hair on My Skin (solidified and strange smells)

Illipe Butter
Sal Butter
Kokum Butter

Cupuacu Butter is the business! It softens and strengthens. I get the smell :lachen:, but the benefit outweighs everything else! HHG

Angel of the North

You have a nice list of butters to try.

I've tried unrefined shea butter. It did nothing for my hair. It left it dry but greasy. I know other people love it but I hated it.

BronxJazzy Did you mix it with oils or just by itself? I have a shea butter and oil mix that I buy and love and it's great but I know I couldn't use the unrefined shea butter alone :nono:

Cupuacu Butter is the business! It softens and strengthens. I get the smell :lachen:, but the benefit outweighs everything else! HHG

DominicanBrazilian82 How are you using this? Does the smell linger? Is the smell concealable? Sorry for all the Q's but I'm intrigued, you got my attention :lol: I'm sure I read in another thread that EnExitStageLeft uses capuacu butter, I'm calling her out to spill the deets :grin:

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

Angel of the North

I've never used Cupuacu in its purest form (as a standalone butter) however almost every hair butter I've loved had it as its main ingredient and from what I have gathered it coats well, smooth the strand and makes the hair "silky" so to speak. I'm a sucker for smooth hair so as far as I know cupuacu is the bidness.

Last edited:

Angel of the North

Angel of the North

I've never used Cupuacu in its purest form (as a standalone butter) however almost every hair butter I've loved had it as its main ingredient and from what I have gathered it coats well, smooth the strand and makes the hair "silky" so to speak. I'm a sucker for smooth hair so as far as I know cupuacu is the bidness.

EnExitStageLeft Do you mind the smell or have you got a way of masking it?

Jadi

The only one I used so far is Shea butter. I may try avocado and hemp seed next. I get most of my oils and butters from newdirections aromatics. They have a nice list of butters. Their s&h is a lot, but I buy in bulk.

Mskraizy

I love avocado butter. If you want a butter similar in texture then I recommend sweet almond, pumpkin seed, and definitely hemp. I have all of these including avocado in my current rotation. Any of them can be used alone or mixed together. They are all soft and highly emollient.

My preference would be avocado, then hemp, then pumpkin seed then sweet almond.

Then I am definitely gonna try out pumpkin seed butter.

I don't mean to hijack, but has anyone tried

• Lemon Butter
  • Orange Butter
?? I'm tempted to try the lemon one. I have a very small sample of it on my shelf right now but I don't know if it'll highlight my hair or something. It smells sooooooooooooo delicious like lemon lotion or something!!!

mshoneyfly

I have some mango butter that i plan to mix with avg, vit e oil, lemongrass eo, SAA, cocoveda oil and evoo. I will use this to seal my high po hair and I plan to whip it up!

I haven't made it yet because I dont have a blender. Do you think I could use that whisk thing that people use for egg whites?? I want it to be smooth and creamy like the pics from DIY bloggers.

Angel of the North

Then I am definitely gonna try out pumpkin seed butter.

I don't mean to hijack, but has anyone tried

• Lemon Butter
  • Orange Butter
?? I'm tempted to try the lemon one. I have a very small sample of it on my shelf right now but I don't know if it'll highlight my hair or something. It smells sooooooooooooo delicious like lemon lotion or something!!!

I don't see it as hijacking :lol: I want everyone to feel free to post, lurk and contribute in this thread :yep:

ronie

I have some cocoa butter and murumuru butter. I bought them when I could not find a natural DC with good slip and moisture for my dry 4c hair. I would melt a little and mix in my DC's. they are great alone or mixed together. Since finding claudies and silk dreams I no longer use them. Anyone interested, pay shipping and they re yours. Both are unrefined. I don't remember if they are organic, but I will check if you pm me.

Last edited:

ronie

Butters to Try

Avocado Butter
Almond Sweet Butter
Aloe Butter
Grapeseed Butter
Hempseed Butter
Mango Butter
Olive Butter
Pumpkin Seed Butter
Soy Butter
Shea Butter RBD refined

Body Butters

Cocoa Butter
Shea Butter Unrefined

Illipe Butter
Sal Butter
Kokum Butter

I have the Shea butter mixed with pineapple, black coconut, and hempseed oils from the naturalme website. Smells nice, spreads easily, no sticky residue. I used it to twist twice, and I liked it. Decent definition with soft shiny curls.

Last edited:

Iwanthealthyhair67

I have some mango butter that i plan to mix with avg, vit e oil, lemongrass eo, SAA, cocoveda oil and evoo. I will use this to seal my high po hair and I plan to whip it up!

I haven't made it yet because I dont have a blender. Do you think I could use that whisk thing that people use for egg whites?? I want it to be smooth and creamy like the pics from DIY bloggers.

mshoneyfly

where did you buy your mango butter from?