Favorite butters other than Shea?

Ogoma

I have been playing around with butters in formulations and have decided the only butter I need is cocoa butter. It works well with other butters or on its own. I will add and use cupuacu butter because I like the texture.

I like kokum butter, but it is so hard. I didn't like Mango butter on its own. I found a lot of the other soft butters tend to be blends.

Last edited:

Mskraizy

NOW I see that pumpkin butter is awesome after I went and made my purchase from camdengrey! UGH!

Personally, avocado butter is my FAVORITE butter! I also purchased a 4 oz block of cupuacu butter and it's just sitting on my dresser looking at me.

Have any of you ladies tried lemon butter? I have a small sample of it and it smells SOOOOO divine, but I'm not sure if it'll highlight my hair or something.... I wanna slap it on so badly, the smell is just.... ugh it's divine! :grin:

loulou82

I make my own butters. Melt Crisco, mix in oils, cool to make it solid.
I am using a castor, olive and sunflower mix infused with amla right now.

I *think* that's what a lot of these butters are if the ingredients include hydrogenated vegetable oil (not pure butters like shea or mango). Maybe these suppliers have a more sophisticated way of making them.

Crisco oil not quite an equal substitution for hydrogenated vegetable oil. Crisco is hydrogenated palm oil and soybean oil plus mono and diglycerides. Although I have seen ladies successfully combine carrier oils and Crisco. For those into diying you can purchase hydrogenated vegetable oil. Some sites even tell you the ratio of oil to HVO needed to produce your desired butter.

ETA: This site tells you the percentages and where to purchase LipidThix or Vegethix (powdered hydrogenated oil):

http://www.coilybynature.com/2011/03/make-your-own-exoctic-hair-butters-with.html

Last edited:

mshoneyfly

I have some hemp oil but I want to use it to make a butter so it wont end up going bad. I always forget about it. I was wondering if the soy butter would be good as a base for making my own hemp butter; or even green tea butter. What other base butter could I use?

Also, when I used avj and coconut oil it whipped up nicely but went moldy really quick. I tried adding honey for a preservative and even some neem powder but it was a no go.

I just remembered that I have some aloe vera powder from hennasooq. I wonder if this would work better than the juice to keep the butter preserved.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Pennefeather

I have some hemp oil but I want to use it to make a butter so it wont end up going bad. I always forget about it. I was wondering if the soy butter would be good as a base for making my own hemp butter; or even green tea butter. What other base butter could I use?

Also, when I used avj and coconut oil it whipped up nicely but went moldy really quick. I tried adding honey for a preservative and even some neem powder but it was a no go.

I just remembered that I have some aloe vera powder from hennasooq. I wonder if this would work better than the juice to keep the butter preserved.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I think that you would need a preservative because of the water in the aloe Vera.
While honey does have some antibacterial and preservative properties, it isn't a true preservative.

spelmanlocks

My two favorite butters are horsetail and monoi butter. I get them from camden grey. I love the smell of monoi butter.

anartist4u2001

oh wow, i'm trying to order from Camden-Grey, and it's tellin' me my order doesn't meet the $20.00 requirement. man, what the hell? :(

i just wanted to get the $4.00 ( 4oz.) Avocado butter. i want to try it first. i don't wanna buy a big thing of it. :(

prettyinpurple

Thank you for the info on making my own "butters" with avocado, oil, etc. I knew they were just the oil and hydrogenated veggie.

Crisco is good trick, might try it in pinch. I'll try the powdered real one as well :grin:

I make my own butters. Melt Crisco, mix in oils, cool to make it solid.
I am using a castor, olive and sunflower mix infused with amla right now.

I *think* that's what a lot of these butters are if the ingredients include hydrogenated vegetable oil (not pure butters like shea or mango). Maybe these suppliers have a more sophisticated way of making them.

Crisco oil not quite an equal substitution for hydrogenated vegetable oil. Crisco is hydrogenated palm oil and soybean oil plus mono and diglycerides. Although I have seen ladies successfully combine carrier oils and Crisco. For those into diying you can purchase hydrogenated vegetable oil. Some sites even tell you the ratio of oil to HVO needed to produce your desired butter.

ETA: This site tells you the percentages and where to purchase LipidThix or Vegethix (powdered hydrogenated oil):

http://www.coilybynature.com/2011/03/make-your-own-exoctic-hair-butters-with.html

prettyinpurple

I like mango butter. I need to work on finding the right mix for it, it is slightly hard and is a drier butter. I mixed it with olive oil, I might try coconut. I want a mango/olive mix for hair similar to Qhemet Biologics twisting butter but a little less oily.

I will buy some avocado and hemp oil try that recipe. They are easy to find on the ground.

I will see what happens with rice bran oil as well.

Fhrizzball

I love soy butter and it is incredibly soft. A little goes a long way for me and I can go days without having to remoisturize. I need to find a good combo of oils to mix in it but other than that it's divine.

Pennefeather

My cupuaca butter arrived yesterday. I haven't used it yet. It smells a little like coco butter.

I saw a post recently where someone said that shea butter can act as a protein in hair. Does anyone agree with this?

Smiley79

My avocado butter arrived Monday. I haven't used it yet but im realexcited to compare it to Shea butter.t

bronzephoenix

My cupuaca butter arrived yesterday. I haven't used it yet. It smells a little like coco butter.

I saw a post recently where someone said that shea butter can act as a protein in hair. Does anyone agree with this?

That would make sense... I'm protein sensitive and shea butter can sometimes make my hair feel hard... But it might have something to do with temperature since I don't cut it with oils. I would imagine it could just be becoming solid again while on my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

bronzephoenix

On another note, I really want to recreate JC nourish & shine. I know it consists of mango & illipe butters... I'll have to give it a try. $24 for 8oz is all bad.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF