Glycerine Products for winter use...

nita4

Do you think it's a good idea to use glycerine products this time of year? With the dry indoor air?? I think it was Moon that said if you used a glycerine product and the air was dry that it would actually draw moisture out of your hair?? Would there actually be a difference with seasonal use?? Has anyone experienced this? I'm curious as I have used glycerine all this time - June 02 thru today. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Nita,
I remember reading the same thing - that glycerin products would suck the moisture out of one's hair when the air was dry. I don't know which part of Cali you live in, since I know that some parts get snow, but where I live -Minnesota- the outdoor air is cold /images/graemlins/ooo.gif and very dry /images/graemlins/frown.gif, so I don't take any chances. I wait 'til Spring comes to return to using my glycerin products. You might live in a place, like the Bay Area, which has moderate temperatures year 'round, and so you may not have to stop using your glycerin products. As far as indoor air having the same effect as outdoor, I don't know.

nita4

Nyambura,
Thanks for the response. The termperature is pretty moderate here, but I think I'll put those products away too. I haven't experienced any problems so far, but I think a combination of indoor/outdoor weather could play havoc on my hair. I mean think about it. It's cold and dry outside and then you come into a warm, toasty house/office where the furnace is blazing, fireplace roaring. Sounds good, but it dries the heck out of my skin, so it going to dry out my hair. Pulling the moisture right out...I just don't know anything that works as good at moisturizing as quickly. The oils don't seem to penetrate as well to me. Oh well, something else for me to figure out. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

sbj4115

bump. also wondering if there are some of you that consider yourselves 'glycerin' users, but do not use s-curl. if so, what do you use instead? thanks!

BronzeBrown

That's actually been my exact experience with glycerin - in dry conditions it leaves my hair very hard and crispy. If you live in a humid climate, regardless of whether it's warm or cold outside, glycerin should be effective. But when the air is dry - and yes in my experience that includes air-conditioned areas - it kills the moisture in your hair.

I've used pure vegetable glycerin with water (that didn't really moisturize my hair), but my main glycerin-containing product has been Carefree Curl Instant Moisturizer spray. Up till this summer, I had been using it consistently for a year. I'm now quite certain that I've found a homemade, natural alternative that works even in air-conditioned areas (although it's definitely not thick enough for winter type dryness), so I've moved on from CFC.

Spagirl

Wow, I didn't know this. Thanks for sharing!

Peachtree

I'm with u SpaGirl... (( wow )) I didn't know weather/climate was a factor to consider...
... I most certainly do now