Calling all natural 4a/4bs how straight can you get with a flat iron?

Country gal

Hey everyone! I love LHCF - which has inspired me to nurture my hair to its fullest potential --> but that's without a Perm that is! I'm in braids right now and plan to take them out this week. I just want to gain some inspiration from other natural 4a/4bs. I want to know if it is possible to attain that perm, straight look without having to do a perm but just do the usual...wash, blow dryer or rollers then flat iron your hair? Show me what you got!!!! :yay:

THe straightest my hair has ever been is in the pick below which was a press and curl.

I have a sedu, babyliss TT hot air brush and flat iron. Im tempting to go after a hot comb too to add to the addition after seeing pinkskates results!

PS - the chi silk infusion IS really good for flat ironing! My hair didnt revert bk like it used to!

yellagirl730

I've been flatironing with a maxiglide and a chi, my hair looks like I have a relaxer, it is very straight with alot of body.

scarcity21

I have a sedu, babyliss TT hot air brush and flat iron. Im tempting to go after a hot comb too to add to the addition after seeing pinkskates results!

PS - the chi silk infusion IS really good for flat ironing! My hair didnt revert bk like it used to!

how did u use the CSI Sweet???

aja1121

Bmore, have you had problems with your hair not reverting???

And I'm glad you ladies have hair that can get relaxer straight with any flat iron, because mines won't. I've GOT to have a good flat iron. A cheap one will NOT do it. Well, at least not for my ends. My ends just hold on to that curl as much as possible!! :lachen:

It is moreso the blowdrying technique vs. the flat iron. Blowdrying with the paddle brush is what really straightens it, the flat iron just smooths it. You can get it straight with just the flat iron, but the blow dry makes that fresh relaxed, flowy look.

[/COLOR]

how did u use the CSI Sweet???

After my hair is 100% dry & Blowdried, I section my hair and add a dab of Chi Silk infusion to a small section of hair and flat iron it. I thought the chi silk infusion to be a little greasy. But I guess that's how its supposed to be?

I also bought the Fantasia IC gel. Is it better than the chi?

It is moreso the blowdrying technique vs. the flat iron. Blowdrying with the paddle brush is what really straightens it, the flat iron just smooths it. You can get it straight with just the flat iron, but the blow dry makes that fresh relaxed, flowy look.

Hey Aja, I really love how ur hair came out in ur pics. What is your technique for straightening? Jus Paddle brush & Blowdryer - no roundbrush? You blowdry the hair up or down? Spill it, spill it. lol

angellazette

I need to find out what my new stylist used on my hair. I know she DC, then put something in my hair for the blow dry and used a Denman to blow dry row by row. Then her iron. Next time I'm going to pay more attention to the products, all I could remember is she used Sebastian Shaper and it gives a good hold but is still brushable! I need to know what she put in my hair that made it shine.

I need to find out what my new stylist used on my hair. I know she DC, then put something in my hair for the blow dry and used a Denman to blow dry row by row. Then her iron. Next time I'm going to pay more attention to the products, all I could remember is she used Sebastian Shaper and it gives a good hold but is still brushable! I need to know what she put in my hair that made it shine.

Is that a picture of the blow dry done at the hair salon? It looks really good!

BrownSkin2

Aja1121, what kind of paddle brush do you use? I think you're right about the paddle brush... I just got my hair straightened, and I noticed the stylist used a paddle brush (it looked like a black D4) and a hand held blowdryer to blow me out, then flat ironed with a FHI. She started from the ends, and brushed straight out as she was blow drying, ending in long strokes. It is relaxer straight. The last time I had it done, it lasted until I washed it two weeks later, with no reverting til I washed.

Last edited:

SouthernTease

I don't know my hair type and
don't care to know, but I am transitioning
my roots are a beast! 4 inches of Thick & Kinky ng.
But... Ditto on previous posts!
It's not the flat iron... it's the technique.
It's all in the wrists. :grin:
CHI Silk Infusion is a good look too.
You might also try the "saran wrap method".
I'm anti-blowout... not to keen on raking a
brush through my hair, but that's just me.

scarcity21

After my hair is 100% dry & Blowdried, I section my hair and add a dab of Chi Silk infusion to a small section of hair and flat iron it. I thought the chi silk infusion to be a little greasy. But I guess that's how its supposed to be?

I also bought the Fantasia IC gel. Is it better than the chi?

Thanks Sweet...i dunno as I havent used either.

TropicalRose

i straightened my hair for the first time in 3.5 years (yay! i needed some change, yall lol). any who, i blow dried it and then straightened it with my new maxiglide (i got the maxiglide because the chi was too expensive). i didnt use the plate with the teeth.

any who, it came out straight but not bone straight which is fine. however, my ends came out looking like a mess and were basically knotted/ matted together. my straight hair doesnt move as a result

now i need some help- i dont know if my ends are just damaged, if my technique sucks, or if im not doing this correctly. any advice?

also, i used a couple of john frieda's products to help straighten my hair with low heat. however, my hair feels as if it has tons of product on it (which it does haha). i think i may try the aveda products. any other product suggestions?

TropicalRose

ALSO, how do you guys know if you are burning your hair WHILE you are pressing it? ive read in other threads that their hair smelt as if something was burning. well i got that too however my test areas reverted easily in the shower and i imagine the burning smell was due to the products that i applied to my hair rather than my actual hair burning... i have since pressed all of my hair... besides my crappy ends, my hair looks and feels fine :/ any advice would be great :D

Choclatcotton

Subscribing, Pressing is in the technique, U must test the tissue to make sure it is not burning, I do this several times to make sure the tissue is barely light brown to nothing before I apply to my hair. Also over usage of heavy products make hair burn smells. My hair comes out flowy and straight. Starting at the back and working my way to the front. If I can figure out how to transfer my Cam phone pics to my profile I will show some pics???

Last edited:

TropicalRose

ok so tissue test and cut back on the products? ill do that next time

what about your ends? is there a secret to it besides combing them out with a fine toothed comb? i tossed mine out when i went natural

zzirvingj

My stylist blow dries my hair first, which gets it pretty straight, especially at the toots. It still has a little "mass" to it, though..if that makes any sense.

Then she presses it with a paddle brush and an FHI flat iron--it comes out VERY straight and bouncy--looks just like I have a relaxer. :yep:

I will try to remember to post pics in this thread since I just recently got it pressed...

Yep I've updated my fotki with some natural flat iron pics. It came out great. Plus you can see my avatar. That's one of them. My hair came out shiny and bouncy!! :grin:

Ms_Twana

See, I don't blowdry. Maybe that's part of the problem. I just air dry, then flat iron. I thought less heat would be better. I haven't straightened my hair since like June or July. I received pieces in the middle that won't curl back up the same way. That section of my hair coils VERY tightly. And now the ends of that section either curls a little, or it's straight. I have really been having straight hair envy lately, so I want to straighten again. So, I'll be referring back here to make sure my hair doesn't do that again.

ClassicChic

What salon have you found?

I think I am going to start trying to learn how to straighten my own hair.

lnana04

I wonder if this is damaging, but to get my ends straight, instead of using a small tooth comb and following with the flat-iron, I part in small sections and use a brush. The brush pulls my hair and my ends are super straight this way, and that has always been my problem area.

Luxurious12

The more my hair grows out the harder it has become for me to get it straight. Honestly, it has gotten on my last nerve! I need to do something that stops me from putting too much heat on my hair. However, when I get it professionally straighten I have no problems and it comes out bone straight. My stylist uses the CHI. I do too though, but I guess it's different when you are doing your own hair....

Last edited: